Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Tom Clancy died

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 09:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Tom Clancy died

Apparently he died in a hospital in Baltimore on Tuesday, confirmed by his publisher.

RIP.
Old 10-02-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Re: Tom Clancy died

So will they stop putting his name on books he didn't write, or is he going to be the next V. C. Andrews?

Hard to believe he was only sixty-six. Seemed like he would have been in his sixties twenty years ago.
Old 10-02-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP, Rainbow Six Six
Old 10-02-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Not much available yet.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._confirms.html
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/10/02/tom-clancy-dead/

I still have a block of his paperbacks from the late '80s. I've been thinking about rereading them.

Tom Clancy
Old 10-02-13, 09:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Rainbow Deep Sixed.
Old 10-02-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks, I always enjoyed his novels even though I thought they had a little too much padding. I'm currently listening to the audio book version of Dead or Alive. Has anyone said what he died of? I saw the news flash on my iPhone a couple minutes ago, but haven't been able to find any real information about it.
Old 10-02-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw the news flash on my phone as well. I read all his books he had out back during middle and high school in the early 1990's (the good stuff) but stopped after being really disappointed in Rainbow Six, then hearing his later books were not any better. I wonder if maybe his health has been on the decline for awhile, and that is why he's had co-authors or ghost writers for his more recent novels.
Old 10-02-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
I just saw the news flash on my phone as well. I read all his books he had out back during middle and high school in the early 1990's (the good stuff) but stopped after being really disappointed in Rainbow Six, then hearing his later books were not any better. I wonder if maybe his health has been on the decline for awhile, and that is why he's had co-authors or ghost writers for his more recent novels.
I know there was a 7-year gap between The Teeth of the Tiger and Dead or Alive, but I'm not sure if that was health-related or not. I thought it had something to do with his divorce.
Old 10-02-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped reading him when he was still writing exclusively about Ryan. I think he was president. Its been a long while.

Hate to see any writer go and I agree, I thought he was in his sixties twenty years ago.
Old 10-02-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
Rainbow Six is my favorite Clancy novel by far. It's insane that it hasn't been turned into a series or movie. I didn't like much past that though.

This is really sad - he turned out some great work. I read my copy of Without Remorse to tatters.
Old 10-02-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Really enjoyed his stuff when I was younger, but it got to be a little too much of a stretch after a while.

Haven't read any of the past several books.

Still, books like Hunt and Sum were certainly cracking tales...
Old 10-02-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I really enjoyed his early books. I worked with cruise missiles and it was fun to read how they might be used in a large-scale conflict.
Old 10-03-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fond memories of pulling all-nighters to plow through Red Storm Rising, Rainbow Six, and The Hunt for Red October while in junior high and high school.
Old 10-03-13, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

While Clancy could get too bogged down in describing the technology he was writing about (yes, I know that was part of the appeal for many), I did enjoy his stories, although I haven't read any of his books since the 90s.

We're getting a new Jack Ryan movie this Christmas, so hopefully it won't be a stain on his memory (like the Ben Affleck Jack Ryan movie was).
Old 10-03-13, 02:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Loved his stuff when I was in High School. Cardinal of the Kremlin is his best, however I never read anything after Without Remourse.
Old 10-03-13, 05:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Been a looong time since I read anything by him (maybe I should correct that). Regardless, sad to hear.

I remember he received a lot of local attention several years back when he was in pursuit of buying the Minnesota Vikings (didn't pan out of course).