Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Player Problem-Please help me.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Player Problem-Please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-00, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I am an idiot when it comes to electronics. Here is the problem. When I unplugged my old player and plugged in the new one I think I plugged something into the wrong spot. When I turn my DVD player on and put in a disc, I get sound, but the picture scrolls repeatedly and is also split. I have ir set up to run through my VCR and when my DVD player is off, and the VCR is on (but not playing a tape) my TV screen is blue (normal I think). Now, when I turn my DVD player on and pop in a disc, the picture scrolls and split and is blue. Can somebody give me any ideas?
Old 11-10-00, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a guess, but it's probably Macrovision. It's a protection scheme in DVD (and VCRs) that does not allow the signal to be passed through VCRs (to prevent recording).

Try passing the signal directly from the DVD player to the TV, skipping the VCR, and see if fixes the video. If it does, then that's probably it...

If you must pass the signal through your VCR, then there is this thingie called... can't remember that defeats Macrovision. Do a search for "macrovision" and you'll probably find the exact name and where to get one.

(If I remember correctly Radioshack used to carry them but not anymore.)
Old 11-10-00, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
macrovision - copyguard... try plugging straight into the TV instead of through the VCR
Old 11-10-00, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don;t think that's it simply because my other DVD player didn't have this problem.
When I tried switching back to my old DVD player, it exhibited the same nonsense as I'm getting with the new one. Anyway, my New DVD
player is an Apex, and I just disabled Macrovision.

Maybe someone has other ideas, or perhaps instructions omn how to connect a TV, VCR, and DVD player together, correctly.
Old 11-10-00, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have one of those gadgets that defeats Macrovision. I am just a MORON. Its probably something simple that is screwing up the picture. The normal backgroubnd for my old DVD player was Black with a Blue (Panasonic) logo. Now its blue and it has that scrolling problem.
Old 11-11-00, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm... well, in that case you got two options:

1) get a techie friend to solve your problem, or
2) RTFM and KISS Isolate the problem by connecting just your DVD player and your TV...

G'luck!
Old 11-11-00, 01:38 AM
Banned

Moving to the Hardware Forum

------------------
Kenwood
DVDTalk's Main Forum Moderator
DVDTalk's Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
DVDTalk's Main Forum FAQ Thread

Email: [email protected]
Old 11-12-00, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would do what dodobird suggested. only connect the one cable for video out to the tv(or the svideo if that is what you use). do not connect it to anything else. does the dvd player show a picture thru the tv?
if so then slowing one at a time add back pieces testing to see if you still are getting a picture each time you make a change. if you lose the picture then recheck the last connect since that is the problem.
we all started out as idiots but slowly i became only stupid

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 11-13-00, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

If you are running through your VCR, try hitting the VCR/Antenna button to pass the signal without going through your VCR.

------------------
"I want my HDTV"