Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me find a new plasma stand!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-31-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife convinced me to get an entire new bedroom set for Labor day and now we're sitting/lying about 33" (maybe even higher) off of the ground. The stand we have for our plasma can only go against one wall that's not very long, but the one we have there now is perfectly fine and it's a typical 3 tier glass stand you see everywhere that is only about 21" inches off of the ground to the top shelf and 40" wide (44" is about as wide as we can go). The beginning/bottom of the plasma screen is probably another 5 1/2" above that top shelf, so now the bottom of the frame is below eye level when we're watching tv from bed. So we're basically 5" away from being in a pretty good position to watch comfortably.

I don't want to hang it and I didn't think it would be a problem to find a stand exactly like mine but about 6"-8" inches or so taller. Yet, we walked through BB and checked on Amazon and they all seem to be about 19"-22" tops.

Is there an online store that specializes in mostly stands? Has anyone bought a tv stand similar to what I'm searching for and might be able to direct me to where they found it? I'd still like to get the same kind of style that I have. Open all around with 3 levels and not pay a fortune. Thought for sure BB or Amazon would be the solution, but I can't seem to find anything that works so far. We don't want to be looking to high up either, but we know we might not be able to get something exactly at the perfect height, but having to adjust our eyes to look up at the plasma is ok. Now we basically have to sit up straight and kind of have our line of sight down to much now and that's not ok.

Oh, and it's a 50" plasma that only weighs about 53 pounds, which is about 20 pounds less than the 42" we used to keep on that stand and moved to another room. And that's stand stated it could take up to 50" and 150 pounds and it certainly wasn't anything fancy. If we could find that exact stand but taller, we'd buy it in a heartbeat. Thought it would be a snap.

Thanks.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 08-31-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 11:09 AM

Re: Please help me find a new plasma stand!

Hi,
Ever think about building a small platform to put stand on????
Just a thought..

DG

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
My wife convinced me to get an entire new bedroom set for Labor day and now we're sitting/lying about 33" (maybe even higher) off of the ground. The stand we have for our plasma can only go against one wall that's not very long, but the one we have there now is perfectly fine and it's a typical 3 tier glass stand you see everywhere that is only about 21" inches off of the ground to the top shelf and 40" wide (44" is about as wide as we can go). The beginning/bottom of the plasma screen is probably another 5 1/2" above that top shelf, so now the bottom of the frame is below eye level when we're watching tv from bed. So we're basically 5" away from being in a pretty good position to watch comfortably.

I don't want to hang it and I didn't think it would be a problem to find a stand exactly like mine but about 6"-8" inches or so taller. Yet, we walked through BB and checked on Amazon and they all seem to be about 19"-22" tops.

Is there an online store that specializes in mostly stands? Has anyone bought a tv stand similar to what I'm searching for and might be able to direct me to where they found it? I'd still like to get the same kind of style that I have. Open all around with 3 levels and not pay a fortune. Thought for sure BB or Amazon would be the solution, but I can't seem to find anything that works so far. We don't want to be looking to high up either, but we know we might not be able to get something exactly at the perfect height, but having to adjust our eyes to look up at the plasma is ok. Now we basically have to sit up straight and kind of have our line of sight down to much now and that's not ok.

Oh, and it's a 50" plasma that only weighs about 53 pounds, which is about 20 pounds less than the 42" we used to keep on that stand and moved to another room. And that's stand stated it could take up to 50" and 150 pounds and it certainly wasn't anything fancy. If we could find that exact stand but taller, we'd buy it in a heartbeat. Thought it would be a snap.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Please help me find a new plasma stand!

racksandstands.com (they now have another name)

You could consider some form of extension on your current stand. Many of them have a vertical support that is similar to standard shelving supports. Could you add a taller support off the shelf at Home Depot? (no pun intended)