Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Google Chromecast Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 05:24 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
The Google Chromecast Thread

Anyone have the Google Chromecast? What are your impressions? How does it stack up against other streamers like the Roku or AppleTV?

Seems to be sold out everywhere online. I just ordered one at Amazon. It's backordered for about 2 months. I don't need another streamer. But for only $35 I figured it would be fun to play around with.

Here's a good video showing it in action:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/00DA5phWVc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-12-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Google Chromecast Thread

I have one. Out of the box it doesn't really compare to Roku or Apple TV. It works well on Netflix and with websites I have streamed. But I mainly bought it to stream netflix to my daugther's bedroom tv.

Now once mycast and the other apps from Koush come out I think I might play with it a little bit more.
Old 08-15-13, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I had missed the initial launch but just got one that came in today from Amazon. So far, straight out of the box, the thing is pretty amazing. My Panasonic Plasma does not have a USB port, so I have to connect it via the adapter that is now plugged in to a power source. 2 minutes after set-up the thing was up and running. I now have control via my Macbook and Iphone 5. I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube, which all playback in full 1080p and 1080p upconverted. I used to use the youtube app on the ps3 but that shit was weak and slow. Not the Chromecast. I was going back and forth on the macbook/iphone without problems.

I just tried the Netflix app through the iPhone and it works awesomely. The downside to to that is that I only get stereo playback as opposed to 5.1. DD+ if I was streaming Netflix directly from the PS3. I'm assuming all of these quirks will be fixed via updates in the coming days/weeks. For $35 you can't go wrong.
Old 08-15-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had missed the initial launch but just got one that came in today from Amazon. So far, straight out of the box, the thing is pretty amazing. My Panasonic Plasma does not have a USB port, so I have to connect it via the adapter that is now plugged in to a power source. 2 minutes after set-up the thing was up and running. I now have control via my Macbook and Iphone 5. I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube, which all playback in full 1080p and 1080p upconverted. I used to use the youtube app on the ps3 but that shit was weak and slow. Not the Chromecast. I was going back and forth on the macbook/iphone without problems.

I just tried the Netflix app through the iPhone and it works awesomely. The downside to to that is that I only get stereo playback as opposed to 5.1. DD+ if I was streaming Netflix directly from the PS3. I'm assuming all of these quirks will be fixed via updates in the coming days/weeks. For $35 you can't go wrong.
Old 08-15-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I don't have one yet, but from what I understood if you plug it into a a/v receiver you could get surround and DD+. That would be a dealbreaker.
Old 08-15-13, 07:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got on for the free three months of Netflix, and, well, it streams YouTube and Netflix. And Google Music, but only titles that are in Google's database. You can upload your own music, but if there's no match in Google's database, it won't play that content. So don't think about streaming The Beatles' catalog to your TV or receiver using this thing. Also while you can cast a tab of Chrome, the video playback on that is so choppy as to be useless. I couldn't watch Hulu or Vimeo content using it.

If you use Netflix and YouTube a lot, this is great. Certainly more convenient than using a PS3, especially for YouTube, but not nearly as useful as a Roku at the moment. The more content providers that start to code for it, the more useful it will be.
Old 08-15-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shady12
Hmm, I don't have one yet, but from what I understood if you plug it into a a/v receiver you could get surround and DD+. That would be a dealbreaker.
I did not know that. My receiver's HDMI inputs are all taken, so I had to plug it in directly to the TV's HDMI one.
Old 08-16-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I got on for the free three months of Netflix, and, well, it streams YouTube and Netflix. And Google Music, but only titles that are in Google's database. You can upload your own music, but if there's no match in Google's database, it won't play that content. So don't think about streaming The Beatles' catalog to your TV or receiver using this thing. Also while you can cast a tab of Chrome, the video playback on that is so choppy as to be useless. I couldn't watch Hulu or Vimeo content using it.

If you use Netflix and YouTube a lot, this is great. Certainly more convenient than using a PS3, especially for YouTube, but not nearly as useful as a Roku at the moment. The more content providers that start to code for it, the more useful it will be.
One thing I noticed when trying the YouTube app on my Xbox- it basically has the same functionality as a Chromecast for it I think. I don't remember how I noticed but I can control it on the TV via my phone. I've heard some new smart TV's do this with some apps as well.
Old 08-16-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I got one, and the three month Netflix credit, so I'm only out $11. Ordered on Day One, got it 2 weeks later.

I already have a Roku, a net-ready Panasonic HDTV and a first generation Google TV (the Logitech Review one). My Roku account was grandfathered before the big split with YouTube, and I have native Google Music support on the GTV device, so I'm one of those few folks for whom the Chromecast doesn't provide me any added capability. The only thing for now that it can do is show my laptop's Chrome browser, which is more responsive than the Chrome browser built in to GTV, but more awkward to use than the Revue's integrated keyboard.

I am looking forward to new apps for Chromecast.

I am also looking forward to football season. The Madden 25 edition that included all-you-can-eat Sunday Ticket streaming to that self-same laptop should work very well with the Chromecast. I'd much rather sit back on the couch and enjoy 56" of football on my HDTV than 14" of football on my laptop.
Old 08-22-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Finally got one today after Amazon lost mine in shipping and Best Buy rang up twice I now have 9 months of free Netflix.

Pretty cool device, the fact it works as a Wifi Hotspot makes me think there will be some fun hacks for it to push video directly to it and not through your home network Wifi but who knows.

Love being able to have full control of Spotify and broadcast the audio while controlling it from my Laptop.

Tab casting has a long way to go, here's to hoping for more support, soon.
Old 08-22-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Finally got one today after Amazon lost mine in shipping and Best Buy rang up twice I now have 9 months of free Netflix.
You sure about that? Netflix is limiting the freebies to one per account.
Old 08-22-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Firmware Update 12940 began rolling out last night:

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot...dk-update.html

* Better discovery of Chromecast devices
* Improved Google Play Movies stability

The 1.01 SDK was also released at the same time.
Old 08-22-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
You sure about that? Netflix is limiting the freebies to one per account.
Mine just says I can claim the second one after my current gift runs out, so end of November, gives me time to redeem 1 more before they expire on 12/31. I'll give the other 3 months away.
Old 08-23-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I redeemed my code and it credited me 23.97, so it obviously just credits you for 3 months worth of streaming. Not bad.

Now, how do I update the Chromecast?
Old 08-27-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Mine just says I can claim the second one after my current gift runs out, so end of November, gives me time to redeem 1 more before they expire on 12/31. I'll give the other 3 months away.
Hmmm.... that's interesting. Wish it were already November so you could report back if it worked - it might be worth picking up a 2nd unit for another $11 if that's the case.

Edited to add: ....if the 3 month dealio was still being offered, which it isn't.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-27-13 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chromecast App v1.1.0 was released to the iTunes App Store today:
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot...st-update.html

Enables users on iPhones and iPads to set up and manage their Chromecast using their iOS device. Requires iOS 6 or greater.
Old 08-27-13, 07:12 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
....if the 3 month dealio was still being offered, which it isn't.
Best Buy is still selling some Chromecasts with the Netflix 3-Month deal. They had some on sale yesterday, which sold out real quick. They claim that more will be available in the coming weeks, but it'll probably be very limited stock.

http://gizmodo.com/chromecast-with-t...ack-1202590452
Old 08-27-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't understand this statement .....

"Plug it into any HDTV and control it with your existing smartphone, tablet, or laptop. No remotes required
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...+Breaking+News)

not true, i need a remote to turn on my tv, i need a remote to change the tv to the HDMI input Chromecast is on
Old 08-27-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Need is subjective on those two.
Old 08-28-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The iOS app was released yesterday. Download it via the App Store.

Oh, and as far as the updates go, there's nothing that I need to do, the device updates by itself whenever Google releases them.
Old 08-28-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This thing is a piece of shit, IMO. I ordered mine in late July, but apparently missed out on the Netflix deal. I never could get it to work with my HDMI port, and when I plugged in my blu-ray player back into the same port, I had no sound!

I thought I could use it with the network and cable tv apps on my Ipad ,but apparently this is just a poor man's netflix streamer.
Old 08-28-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. Netflix. and YouTube. and Chrome Tabs. and Desktops.

...with upcoming everything else, and hopefully a slew of streamable android apps.
Old 08-28-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's in its infancy. I'm waiting for it to evolve.
Old 08-28-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I picked this bad boy up today at Best Buy. Every so often I've been checking to see if they had any in stock and the website said they did today at my local store. I called to make sure and they had three left so I went up and grabbed it, and I've also applied my three months free of Netflix to my account. Factoring in tax I think this cost me only $14 after the Netflix credit. Nice.

This works like a charm. Plugged into my A/V receiver and I'm getting DD+ sound and SuperHD at 5800 with Netflix. YouTube is pretty awesome, the app I was using on my Panasonic BD player sucked. Also nice to be able to stream my Google Play/All Access music to it. I'm really happy to be able to do all three of these things better and easier than I could before, and many more apps will come. Only bummer is the latest update to the SDK broke third party video streaming. There were some apps that let you play stream video files stored on your computer..hopefully that's temporary.
Old 08-28-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
I still don't understand this statement .....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...+Breaking+News)

not true, i need a remote to turn on my tv, i need a remote to change the tv to the HDMI input Chromecast is on
It also won't pack you a lunch or tuck you in at night. So I guess it isn't a magical device afterall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.