Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Will the PS2 play burned CDR VCDs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Will the PS2 play burned CDR VCDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-00, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?
Old 11-10-00, 02:25 PM

I would have to say on, as any SONY DVD player I've seen lately doesn't run CDR's in the first place - although maybe if the US PS2 gets a modchip (which lets it read burned PS2 gameS) there is a possibility it can read the CDR movies? Who knows.
Old 11-10-00, 02:53 PM
Cool New Member

Just tried both CD-R and CD-RW VCDs, and my PS2 wouldn't read either. Not reading CD-Rs doesn't surprise me, but I expected it to read the RW. I'll have to play around with it some more, but the answer would appear to be a resounding no.

------------------
My DVDs!
Old 11-10-00, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PS2 does not play ANY VCD's, original or burned.
Old 11-10-00, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
PS2 cannot play VCDs. I dunno bout CD-Rs, as I haven't gotten around to trying. ANyone? Anyone?

(you'd hafta use a burned music CD-R...)
Old 11-10-00, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't know about VCD's, but it does play music CD-R's. I tried a couple and they both worked. I was surprised as although my two year old Sony DVD player plays CD-R's the current ones don't.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-11-00, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I came across this report at the UK DVD site DVD Debate. Although I have own but have not tried some of the DVDs in question I think they are being too far fetched. Maybe they do have a faulty machine. Anyway below is the eport.

"In other PS2 news we took a quick half hour look at a US PS2 today. Yes, the video quality is improved above the Jap machine. However, we were more concerned with the number of DVD Titles where the machine could not play the film or, more often, the extras:

Abyss, Big Hit, Aliens Boxed Set, Crow, Dante's Peak, Die Hard Trilogy, Daylight, Entrapment, Face/Off, Fight Club, Ghostbusters, Grosse Point Blank, Lion King 2, Mercury Rising, Natural Born Killers, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, Ronin, Scream Trilogy, The Star Trek Films, Several Bonds, and True Lies.

Now we may have had a faulty machine but, given that the games, memory cards, and many R1 titles did work, we don't think so. So when is a DVD Player not a DVD Player? When it's a US PS2.

And finally for a laugh we tried the RCE encoded The Patriot and guess what? It doesn't work...Poetic Justice?"

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.