Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Legend of Korra - Book 2: Spirits

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
The Legend of Korra - Book 2: Spirits

My BD copy of Book 1 arrived last week. Although I'd watched every episode as the show originally aired, I watched both discs in one day and was as entertained as if it had been the first time.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ftLm52V1y0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-23-13, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: The Legend of Korra - Book 2: Spirits

Nice. Finally.
Old 09-13-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could those credits seriously have gone by any faster? Good lord, some of us would like to read them you know! I wonder what style of martial arts is used for the spirit-bending. It's been so long since the first season, I e forgotten most of it, need to brush up. Interesting premier, even if it didn't exactly knock my socks off, hopefully they're planning on slowly unfolding some interesting stuff. What the heck? So just going into the Avatar State and touching it fixes the problem? That was a little arbitrary. I understand Korra's father is ashamed of his banishment, but after seeing how his brother stopped the spirits, it was pretty stupid of him to try to stop her from learning. Why are he and Tenzin so hell-bent on teaching her the air-bending stuff? I suppose we shall see.
Old 09-13-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I liked the premier overall but it was mostly due to love of the characters/setting than it actually being any good. It was a bit awkward, in fact. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised since this was originally intended as a one-shot mini series that was then expanded to a whole series that's now on its second season.

Hopefully the other episodes play out better.
Old 09-16-13, 04:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel like things are starting to get predictable. I mean, it seems super obvious that Korra's uncle staged the spirit attack so she would choose to train with him. There's a line between headstrong and stupid and I'm worried that Korra has crossed it.

Still, it's better than a lot of shows on the air.
Old 09-16-13, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Why are he and Tenzin so hell-bent on teaching her the air-bending stuff? I suppose we shall see.
Wondered that myself, the Spirit issue seemed more important at the moment and the air stuff could come later.
Old 09-16-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably because you can't really be an avatar unless you mastered all the elements. Not to mention that Air bending seems to be the one that gets you more attuned to the spirit world. Meditation and all.

I don't think Unalaq staged those attacks. The southern lack of lights and chaotic storm was there long before he showed up. I think he's just taking this chance to create a sort of religious fundamentalist approach to force the southern tribe to confirm and drop those evil ways of creating greasy food for the festival and what not.

So it's not exactly like Tarrlok 2.0, but yeah, it did feel very much like Korra has already been down this road of forsaking Tenzin for the newer, better teacher who knows best.

Though, maybe since the avatar needs to bring balance, perhaps spirits need to be angry and that southern water tribe area needed a dark portal to keep in balance with the northern tribe's northern light portal.

Either way, it's getting interesting and I'm loving the animation, the soundtrack and Pabu.
Old 09-16-13, 01:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pabu is always a winner, yes.
Old 09-16-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like a Pabu-centric episode. Just the whole thing from his POV.
Old 09-17-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I feel like things are starting to get predictable. I mean, it seems super obvious that Korra's uncle staged the spirit attack so she would choose to train with him. There's a line between headstrong and stupid and I'm worried that Korra has crossed it.

Still, it's better than a lot of shows on the air.
They did a pretty good job last season of leading us to believe Amon was that guy on the counsel, so I wouldnt be so sure of the uncle's motives.
Old 09-17-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The episode was great, but yeah, my 7 years old daughter reaction was, "is the uncle good or bad?"
Old 09-20-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really not liking how they're writing Korra this season. She was always naïve but she seems to have gone full retard by trusting her uncle so easily.
Old 09-27-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What the hell is wrong with this show? Four episodes in and it’s showing no signs of improvement. Season one had its problems here and there but was overall excellent. This season just keeps getting worse with a civil war that wouldn’t have gotten so far if Korra hadn’t gone full retard during the very beginning of this very season. And splitting off the focus between Korra and Tenzin’s family doesn’t seem to work at all since it seems to simply be meandering (a shame since they made it seem like that portion of the story would go somewhere interesting with the daughter’s visions that led her to the Avatar statue but that was completely ignored this episode). I’m about ready to quit this show.
Old 10-01-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/gbk7g5XmGQI.x?p=1" width="720" height="433" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://blip.tv/api.swf#gbk7g5XmGQI" style="display:none"></embed>
Old 10-04-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show has always been one that bounces all over totally, and usually it handles the shifts pretty well, but lately the balance between action, drama, humor, and multiple plot threads is apparently increasingly difficult. And it's getting kind of hard to sympathize with Korra, she's being rather foolish. At least Aang was younger and had reason to behave the way he did. I hope the Korra-Mako breakup doesn't stick, their coupling was one of the few things I really liked.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 10-04-13 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-04-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I totally forgot to watch this show today. Thankfully the rerun is on.
Old 10-04-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. I would have been better off missing this episode. It was the worst one yet.

Did they change the entire writing staff from season 1 or something? Because, although not perfect, it was a masterpiece compared to this disjointed mess of a second season.
Old 10-11-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The plot of this season is careening all over the place like a pinball, and the tone with it. The stupid stuff with Bolin and the movies is broad comedy, there's a political angle with Mako and the triads (And Bei-Fong is being a moron), and the most interesting part continues to be held back involving Unalaq and the spirits. They'd better wrap up all of these disparate strands at the end of the season like they're freaking The Wire, or this season will be a wildly disjointed mess. I keep hoping there'll come a point when everything falls together and the show kicks into high gear, but so far, no luck.
Old 10-11-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, what is up with Bei-Fong? Her character in season 1 would never have put up with those two jackass detectives. Do they have pictures of her screwing animals or something? But then I guess it makes sense in this incredibly retarded season.

I know I should quit this show already but I keep coming back in the hopes that everything will finally click into place and these episodes end up just a bad memory.
Old 10-11-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The stuff with Varick turning out to be a traitor who isn't as stupid as he looks is a nice touch, it just took us forever to get there. An amnesia storyline? Seriously? Is there anything more hackneyed? At least with Varick revealed as a bad guy, and the theft of the mecha indicating what he's planning, maybe the plot will FINALLY start actually moving. Oh, and Nick, you couldn't run the goddamn credits any faster and smaller if you tried. I'd like to actually read who the storyboard artists are.
Old 10-11-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The stuff with Varick turning out to be a traitor who isn't as stupid as he looks is a nice touch, it just took us forever to get there.
Given how dumb all the other characters have been this season, he didn't even need to play dumb. He could have told them his entire plan an they still wouldn't be able to figure it out.

That said, I feel Varick might be a misdirect. I dunno why but the reveal felt inauthentic to me.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-11-13 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

How popular is this series, anyways? I may have something signed or a studio tour with this show for auction for a charity and am curious as to know how many people watch and enjoy the series.
Old 10-12-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, what is up with Bei-Fong? Her character in season 1 would never have put up with those two jackass detectives.
I thought the same thing. Being rather clueless and not even finding out if an idea is a sound one.
Old 10-12-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I thought the same thing. Being rather clueless and not even finding out if an idea is a sound one.
She isn't even doing anything this season, she used her metal-bending to throw down and actually act like law enforcement in season one, here she just seems to be twiddling her thumbs and doing nothing.
Old 10-12-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
She isn't even doing anything this season, she used her metal-bending to throw down and actually act like law enforcement in season one, here she just seems to be twiddling her thumbs and doing nothing.
Yeah, she's been both clueless and useless. If this is the best they could think up for her, they would have been best to not include her at all this season. Same for Tenzin and his entire family.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.