DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
NCAA will no longer license video games with EA

BC-US--NCAA-EA Sports,1st Ld-Writethru
NCAA to stop putting name, logo on video game
Eds: Adds details and background
RALPH D. RUSSO
AP College Football Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - The NCAA said Wednesday it won't allow Electronic Arts Inc. to use its logo and name in video games while it fights a lawsuit that says the governing body owes billions of dollars to former players for allowing their likenesses to be used for free.

The NCAA said it won't enter into a new contract with EA Sports beyond the current one that expires June 2014. That means NCAA Football 2014 will be the last edition of the popular game. However, it won't necessarily stop EA Sports from producing a college football video game depicting powerhouse schools such as Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon.

"Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game," the NCAA said in a statement. "They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future."

The NCAA is in the midst of a long legal battle that started with a lawsuit filed by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon.

The suit has expanded to include several former athletes who claim the NCAA and EA Sports have used their names and likenesses without compensation and demand the NCAA find a way to give players a cut of the billions of dollars earned from live broadcasts, memorabilia sales and video games.

"We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games," the NCAA said. "But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

"The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes."

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Old 07-17-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: NCAA will no longer license video games with EA

So if I understand this correctly, just the NCAA logo and name can no longer be used.

So the individual schools can still be licensed.

Next year will probably be called "College Football 15"
Old 07-17-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Without the announcers and the NCAA presentation, the game won't stand a chance even if no one else picks up the license.
Old 07-17-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Good for them. Now EA needs to lose the NFL license so there can be true competition again.
Old 07-17-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I thought "Hooray!" but this really changes nothing.
Old 07-17-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, nothing to see here, move along.

By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.
Old 07-18-13, 12:14 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an absolute tragedy to me. As a huge college football fan, the lack of authenticity in all upcoming college football games will really be felt.
Old 07-18-13, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really. They can still license the individual teams, conferences, bowl games, the Heisman Trophy etc. They also still have the ESPN licensing too. Think the only thing you're looking at being different is not having the NCAA in the title anymore.
Old 08-14-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/14/462...-ncaa-football

The SEC says they're out too. If that means no more SEC teams in the game, then I'm out.
Old 08-14-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, The article says each school can make up its own mind, but I can't see anyone going against the SEC.
Old 08-14-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Ten out too. Say goodbye to this series.
Old 08-14-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The NCAA is scared to death they might have to start compensating players for the licensing money.
Old 08-14-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PAC-12 out too.
Old 08-14-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

LOL, is the shit hitting the fan or what?
Old 08-14-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Assuming they even continue to make the game, what will they call it? I can't imagine they would use something so generic as "College Football (year)."

I wonder if they might go after a coach to create a Madden counterpart like they did with Bill Walsh. Maybe Nick Saban or Bob Stoops (if the corresponding school is willing to be licensed)?
Old 08-14-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The NCAA is scared to death they might have to start compensating players for the licensing money.
If only Ed O'Bannon had had a successful basketball career...
Old 08-14-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Drexl
Assuming they even continue to make the game, what will they call it? I can't imagine they would use something so generic as "College Football (year)."

I wonder if they might go after a coach to create a Madden counterpart like they did with Bill Walsh. Maybe Nick Saban or Bob Stoops (if the corresponding school is willing to be licensed)?
The last I heard it was going to be called "College Football 15"

With all those conferences pulling out, you might as well cancel the series.

I'm a sports gamer, but not so much for college sports. If the NCAA was so scared of getting sued by all these former players, why don't they tell EA to not use the exact numbers for a lot of the star roster players?
Old 08-14-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Maybe they can call it "AAC - Mountain West Conference Football Showdown 2015". Who wouldn't be excited to spend $60 on that?
Old 08-14-13, 10:11 PM

That's some interesting news! If I were them, I'd release a College Football 15 with only the teams who sign on, and then concentrate on giving the player at home full customization over logos, colors, names, numbers, school bio, etc. Hell, allow them to even download any song they wish as their fight song - and then make it super easy to upload your newly created "fake" team or league for download. Then, within a day or so, anyone that has the inclination to download all of the teams who didn't sign on can do so, plus there's the ability to download old conferences, future conferences, classic teams, all-decade teams specific to conferences or even individual schools, etc. But maybe they have all of this already, it's been a few years since I've really played an EA sports title. I'd be interested in it, that's for sure.
Old 08-14-13, 10:53 PM

I'm kinda at the opposite end here. I'm suddenly tempted to make NCAA 14 my very first college football game because it might be my last chance.

I'm still fuzzy about the plaintiffs' claim. The players weren't actually in the game but because you could make a Bush #5 for USC or a Young #10 at Texas, these players were somehow harmed financially? Is that the gist of it? Isn't that a claim that anyone who ever played any NCAA football game could conceivably make?
Old 08-14-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

It's not that they were harmed, it is that their likeness was used repeatedly and they did not receive any compensation for it.
Old 08-14-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The players you can create or edit in the game don't share any real "likeness" to the real person. The faces were about as cookie cutter as they come. Now, you can't control what an individual does by editing the name and number.
Old 08-14-13, 11:37 PM

That's just it, isn't it? Was their likeness used intentionally, or were just generic body types and faces used? That was my understanding, though I've never played one of these games.
Old 08-15-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, bodies of athletes are nothing unique unless they have specific tattoos or scars. As far as the faces go, I always thought they were quite generic.
Old 08-15-13, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

So the Pac-12, SEC, and Big Ten are out?

EA Sports presents College Football 15, with such conferences as the Pacific Dozen, Close to South But Not Quite, and the Large One Zero.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.