TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Newsroom -- "First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers" -- 7/14/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Newsroom -- "First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers" -- 7/14/13

Synopsis:

Will (Jeff Daniels) and the "News Night" staff are questioned by their lawyer about a story they've aired that's become a network crisis. An on-air remark by Will has him pulled from 9/11 anniversary coverage. Jim (John Gallagher, Jr.) volunteers to cover for an embed reporter on the Romney campaign and Neal (Dev Patel) investigates the beginnings of Occupy Wall Street.

Teleplay by Aaron Sorkin; story by Ian Reichbach and Aaron Sorkin; directed by Alan Poul.

9 episode 2nd season

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...-long-20130620

Aaron Sorkin re-shot a lot of the material from the first 2 episodes and episode 3 was completely re-written. Hence that was the reason why they only were able to complete 9 episodes. A friend of mine worked on the show. They just finished shooting the season last month. They started shooting around November of last year.

Promo:

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1326261.html?height=480&width=640" height="480" width="640" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe>

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/McVXNEdi8K4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-14-13, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers" -- 7/14/13

I thought season 1 was pretty ridiculous at first and I almost quit watching, but it started to find its legs toward the end. I'm actually looking forward to its return tonight.

I heard Jeff Daniels talking about those first episodes being redone. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.
Old 07-14-13, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Yay! More Aaron Sorkin pretentious speechifying.
Old 07-14-13, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not pretentious if it's justified.

And yes, Yay. Since the end of Game of Thrones, I've kept my HBO subscription active not for True Blood, but because The Newsroom was coming back soon anyway. In season 1 the show could be heavy-handed and oversimplified, but it's a 1 hour show. The underlying issues it addressed were spot on. The characters were mostly well-acted and interesting. Olivia Munn was all but a revelation (though I didn't think her violence outburst fit the character). The love triangle (square?) with Allison Pill became a bit wearing, but we'll see how that goes in S2. Oh, and the Big Foot thing was totally ludicrous. Less of that and more of dealing with the challenges of informing the populace in an era where MSNBC tanked in the ratings when they didn't follow the George Zimmerman trial 24/7.

It would seem the populace, or at least a significant portion of it, doesn't necessarily want to be informed. Being informed is hard work. When I have information, I now have to try to process it and make internal decisions. Ain't nobody got time for that. I'm trying to watch the Kardashians.
Old 07-14-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

It's fitting that this season debuts in a week where the news networks devoted almost all of their coverage to a trial involving the killing of one individual while there's complete turmoil going in a country having the largest Arab population in the world.

I'll probably watch some of these episodes here and there on HBOGO. I really enjoyed the actual news scenes last season but the characters are terrible IMO. Can't stand them.
Old 07-14-13, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MikahC
It would seem the populace, or at least a significant portion of it, doesn't necessarily want to be informed. Being informed is hard work.
I respectfully disagree that it's hard. It only is time consuming because the 24/7 news channels and network news parse out so little real information in between true information. It's that time involved to parse out that useful information which is the hard work.

I'd contend if someone wants to be informed they could easily do so by watching Bill Moyers for American news.

International news is tougher but BBC is acceptable. Or better yet just scan the homepage of The Guardian on occasion.
Old 07-14-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think I still have the show set up for a series recording on my DVR so I'll probably watch tonight's episode after work. Honestly I thought the first season was a mixed bag. There was some stuff I liked in it quite a bit such as most of the Will character and the news scenes. A lot of the relationship stuff on the show seemed forced to me and was kind of eye-roll inducing. I should really re-watch the first season before diving back in to this as I don't remember all the characters names even honestly I do remember most of the storyline though.
Old 07-14-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Kelen Coleman (Lisa) is apparently on the 2nd season.

She's going to be doing live commentary on Twitter for the East and possibly West coast feeds.

https://twitter.com/Kelencoleman

Here she is with Aaron Sorkin if you don't remember her.

Old 07-14-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think I still have the show set up for a series recording on my DVR so I'll probably watch tonight's episode after work. Honestly I thought the first season was a mixed bag. There was some stuff I liked in it quite a bit such as most of the Will character and the news scenes. A lot of the relationship stuff on the show seemed forced to me and was kind of eye-roll inducing. I should really re-watch the first season before diving back in to this as I don't remember all the characters names even honestly I do remember most of the storyline though.

Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels): Host and Managing Editor of News Night.

MacKenzie McHale aka "Mac" (Emily Mortimer): Executive Producer of News Night and ex-girlfriend of Will

Charlie Skinner (Sam Waterston): President of the News Division

Jim Harper (John Gallagher): Senior Producer of News Night

Maggie Jordan (Alison Pill): Associate Producer of News Night. Interested in Jim, but dating Don Keefer

Don Keefer (Thomas Sadoski): Former Executive Producer of News Night. Dating Maggie. Producing a different show at ACN

Neal Sampat (Dev Patel): Writes Will's blog and essentially works at the Assignment desk

Lisa (Kelen Coleman): Maggie's best friend and roommate. Dated Jim

Sloan Sabbith (Olivia Munn): ACN Business Anchor
Old 07-14-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
It would seem the populace, or at least a significant portion of it, doesn't necessarily want to be informed.
No, they don't want to be lied to, deceived, manipulated and given half the story. That's why every news outlet is in the tank.
Old 07-15-13, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wz42
I respectfully disagree that it's hard.
It'd seem you disagree with a statement I didn't make (That it's hard work getting informed) rather than the one I did (That it's hard work being informed). But I'll defer to your judgment as it was all a bit tongue in cheek anyway.

Originally Posted by Traxan
No, they don't want to be lied to, deceived, manipulated and given half the story. That's why every news outlet is in the tank.
It's been shown repeatedly that people by and large readily accept being lied to as long as the lies confirm their already held beliefs, or are at least presented by people who tend to share their already held beliefs.

If it were simply a matter of viewers being turned off because of the inability of news channels to be in depth, fair and balanced, why would the viewers return when the very same channels cover stuff like the Zimmerman trial?

It's not like this is new information. It's widely understood in the industry. News people have been fighting being in the entertainment/profit center business for quite some time. That debate should be over. The Newsroom just put together what I thought was a pretty good synopsis (again, 1 hour show) of the issue.
Old 07-15-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Spoiler:
Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels): Host and Managing Editor of News Night.

MacKenzie McHale aka "Mac" (Emily Mortimer): Executive Producer of News Night and ex-girlfriend of Will

Charlie Skinner (Sam Waterston): President of the News Division

Jim Harper (John Gallagher): Senior Producer of News Night

Maggie Jordan (Alison Pill): Associate Producer of News Night. Interested in Jim, but dating Don Keefer

Don Keefer (Thomas Sadoski): Former Executive Producer of News Night. Dating Maggie. Producing a different show at ACN

Neal Sampat (Dev Patel): Writes Will's blog and essentially works at the Assignment desk

Lisa (Kelen Coleman): Maggie's best friend and roommate. Dated Jim

Sloan Sabbith (Olivia Munn): ACN Business Anchor
I didn't forget them all just some of them. I knew most of their roles too I just feel like I could rewatch the first season again as a refresher before diving in to season two.
Old 07-15-13, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kelen Coleman (Lisa) is apparently on the 2nd season.

She's going to be doing live commentary on Twitter for the East and possibly West coast feeds.

https://twitter.com/Kelencoleman

Here she is with Aaron Sorkin if you don't remember her.

Nice. I actually liked her character better than Maggie las season.

Just finished the first ep and I liked it a lot. Was surprised they dispensed with Maggie and Don so fast. It's going to be interesting to see how they pull of this style of storytelling for an entire season. Sorkin did it several times on the Wes Wing but only for standalone eps.
Old 07-15-13, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I thought it was a pretty good first episode as well.

If Aaron Sorkin asked HBO to re-shoot episodes 1 and 2, they must have turned out pretty bad. I hope those scenes from the original version make their way to the BD.

at Maggie's new hairstyle. I got so much gratification when Don finally broke up with her. I don't hate Pill, but the Maggie character was one of the worst parts of season 1.

I'm also curious to see how this non-linear storytelling turns out. I mean it's August 2011 right now. I already know that episode 9 (the season finale):

Spoiler:
Take place during Election Night November 2012

Maybe I wasn't pay close enough attention, why was Will and Mac being interviewed by Marcia Gay Harden's character. It had to do with some on-air incident right? Is it something that we've seen already?

I loved the scene in the control room when they discovered a factual error in that video package and had to do a live fix. I work in TV and pulling something like that off would be next to impossible. The Voice Over guy's audio wouldn't match the package. And they were lucky the line they had to fix was at the end.

at the switcher and graphics machine going out at the same time.
Old 07-15-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Maybe I wasn't pay close enough attention, why was Will and Mac being interviewed by Marcia Gay Harden's character. It had to do with some on-air incident right? Is it something that we've seen already?
It had to do with the Genoa story that the military "expert" teased to the guy filling in for Jim. It was clearly a bogus story that would never have made the air if Jim hadn't left town to begin with.
Old 07-15-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It had to do with the Genoa story that the military "expert" teased to the guy filling in for Jim. It was clearly a bogus story that would never have made the air if Jim hadn't left town to begin with.
Thx, Now I remember that.
Old 07-15-13, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved the scene in the control room when they discovered a factual error in that video package and had to do a live fix. I work in TV and pulling something like that off would be next to impossible. The Voice Over guy's audio wouldn't match the package. And they were lucky the line they had to fix was at the end.
do the cable news anchors actually have the producers yelling in their ear to ask certain questions?
Old 07-15-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
do the cable news anchors actually have the producers yelling in their ear to ask certain questions?
Questions are usually scripted ahead of time and are in the teleprompter. But, I have seen a Producer feed a question to talent on the fly through the headset.
Old 07-16-13, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Wish they kept the original opening theme music from the first season.
Old 07-16-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Wish they kept the original opening theme music from the first season.
Yeah, same here. Don't think I liked the new credits theme, although it did feel less pretentious (if that's possible for a theme to do).

Other random thoughts:
What the hell happened to Maggie in Uganda?

Man, I would love to see that Fantasy Football draft with Will, Charlie and Sloan.

I was also happy to see the fallout from the “American Taliban” line, although a little sad that, so far, it was only the staffers that got the worst of it.
Old 07-16-13, 09:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
What the hell happened to Maggie in Uganda?
I'm sure that was just a throwaway line and this will never be revisited.

Serious answer (speculation):

Spoiler:
I'm guessing it'll be similar to the incidents in the news recently where a female reporter has been assaulted by a mob.
Old 07-16-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So pretentious but I really love the way Jeff Daniels plays Will McAvoy so I put up with it.
Old 07-16-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm sure that was just a throwaway line and this will never be revisited.

Serious answer (speculation):

Spoiler:
I'm guessing it'll be similar to the incidents in the news recently where a female reporter has been assaulted by a mob.
That what I thought, they're gonna give Maggie the
Spoiler:
Lara Logan in Egypt
treatment
Old 07-16-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I like the show fine, but I found this amusing, and can't really disagree with it...

Questions This Season Of The Newsroom Better Answer, Or Else

The Newsroom is a flawed show with an interesting premise, a talented cast, good production value and, so far, some small moments of wit. Thing is, it doesn’t make any freaking sense! When it comes back in a few weeks, it better answer some questions.

Why is everyone in love with Allison Pill?

Allison is a dynamic, talented, good-looking young actress, to be sure. But we’re led to believe that John Gallagher Jr. falls in love-at-first-sight with her to such an extent that he dates her BFF in a misguided attempt to spend more time with her. Why? These are Pill’s character’s most salient traits thus far: she basically lied to get her job, she is clumsy, she is friendly in that way that most people who aren’t jerks are basically friendly, she gets panic attacks, she is a pushover, she doesn’t know very much about international politics/geography and…she is a female who is there. So that’s…cool…?!?

Have the two men competing for her attentions not met other girls?

To wit, the boyfriend character (I think it’s Dan?), halfway through season 1, has this moment of “Wow, Olivia Munn, you are beautiful and a woman who is about my age, and you work here?” flabbergasted-ness because, remember, Allison Pill is the only woman in the universe. The only one. They must love her because she is…klutzy and meek and…blonde and…the script called for a love triangle. Please explain.

What’s Olivia Munn’s second Ph.D in?

She’s pontificating about how smart she is (in spite of the heavy burden of being beautiful!) and how she wants to be taken seriously (in spite of the heavy burden of being beautiful!) and says something along the lines of, “I’ve studied economics, and I have two Ph.Ds.”

Are they both in Economics? If so, why would a person need that? Personally, I’d love to see her have a second advanced degree in something totally random. Zoology? Thermodynamics? Or being beautiful? Oh, no, she already has that covered. She is very beautiful.

Are they good journalists or just good at networking?

On more than one occasion the team has gotten a scoop because someone knows somebody connected to the story.

JGJ just has a “guy at FEMA” who gives him the edge on reporting the B.P. spill. And then they turn around and judge Fox and CNN for leading with some lesser story, even though NewsNight probably wouldn’t have lead with the spill either if they hadn’t had a special source. (Not to mention that CNN and Fox didn’t have the added advantage of covering the story two years after it happened, but let’s not get into that.) Instead, let’s mention that when, for ratings’ sake, the team is forced (Forced I tell you!) to descend into gossipy courtroom reporting and cover the Casey Anthony trial (How basic! Our reputation!), the BFF/roommate of Seductress Allison Pill just happens to have gone to college with Casey Anthony. They get their ratings, good for them, they had to search all the way to their apartments to find a source.

Is Emily Mortimer supposed to be a freaking idiot?

We see the IT guy explaining the new email system that allows for company-wide emails. She then types an email to her ex-boyfriend/current co-worker detailing the circumstances of their breakup. Why she would need to remind him of the details of a breakup he was a part of, in an email she thinks only he will read, is beyond me. But then guess what? She accidentally sends it to the whole staff! What a crazy, random, plot-forwarding, drama-creating, ridiculous situation!

Did she do it because she doesn’t understand technology? Because she’s a woman, so she extra doesn’t understand technology? Because she’s too immature to, uh, talk to her ex, whose office is three feet away, in person? Emily Mortimer’s character is supposed to be real levelheaded and brave and such, having been to Afghanistan and other scary places. But none too bright, I guess! Maybe Olivia Munn can lend her a Ph.D.

How does Jeff Daniels not know about tabloids?

A seasoned, professional reporter/newscaster/whatever who has been in the business for years and years is shocked, nonplussed, and downright disgusted to learn that tabloids print “takedowns”? Anyone who has been to a grocery store in the past fifteen years could have guessed they do that!

Maybe I’m looking for too much realism and character continuity in a fictional show. But then again–no I’m not.

This is Aaron freaking Sorkin on HB freaking O; the main character can’t be a naïve Boy Scout. Stop telling me characters are smart and then showing me they are stupid. That’s like telling me this show is going to be really groundbreaking and intellectual and then showing me something that is trope-ridden and nonsensical where they constantly talk about Man of La Mancha and it’s like ughhhhhcnksivoehrlibhdlf.

Um, that scene where they refuse to report that Gabby Giffords is dead because they can see the future, have journalistic integrity, and somehow that makes them, like, the reason she lived? And this is while they happened to be having a conversation about gun control? And freaking Coldplay is playing? Oh, and, also, that scene where they won’t put their phones away on a plane and find out that Bin Laden is dead and shake the plane captain’s hand and announce it to the cabin, being all proud as if they had killed Bin Laden by being such good reporters? And the political ramifications of his death are explored, like, not at all, while we take a moment to bask in the American Glory of something that happened two years ago?

Um, what the actual fuck?
Old 07-16-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

While I was watching this last night, I couldn't stop thinking about Jeff Daniels playing Harry again. This could really ruin his current career.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.