Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox orders "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" tv show

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fox orders "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" tv show

Not the worst idea, if it can be campy and fun like "Sherlock".

Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is getting another chance to transition out of the comic book world and into moving pictures. The comic book series has just received a put pilot order at Fox, which means that a pilot for a possible "League" television series will will be made and, as it is a put pilot order, Fox will be obligated to air the episode even if they don't order the pilot to series. So yeah, Allan Quartermain, Mina Harker and the extraordinary others will all definitely come to life again - this time on the small screen.

The pilot will be produced by 20th Century Fox TV with Michael Green and Erwin Stoff at the helm. Green has previously worked on "Green Lantern," "Heroes," and "Smallville" and will serve as writer and executive producer. Stoff, whose credits include "The Matrix" and the NBC drama "Kings," will also executive produce.

"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is an action adventure comic originally published by America's Best Comics in 1999. The series follows Mina Harker, fresh off her escapades in "Dracula," as she is recruited by James Bond's grandfather to assemble a group of extraordinary individuals to take on threats to the British Empire. She joins up with Captain Nemo, Allan Quartermain, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, and the Invisible Man to fight the likes of Fu Manchu and Sherlock Holmes' arch-nemesis Professor Moriarty.

This is the second attempt made at adapting "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," following its... rather interesting transformation into a summer blockbuster in 2003. Well, it tried to be a summer blockbuster. The film was crushed by its competition, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," and grossed a sad $66.4 million domestically. The film became infamous for being so problematic that it made lead actor/film legend Sean Connery retire from acting. Now that's rough.

Hopefully this pilot will stay a bit more faithful to Moore and O'Neill's work, as opposed to the film which took a number of liberties with the source material. The most groan-inducing liberty had to be the forced inclusion of American literature hero Tom Sawyer, a character who never appeared in the comics.

With Hollywood's fascination with public domain characters and classic literary ideas - like Dracula and Sherlock Holmes - a "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" film makes a lot of sense. Here's hoping that enough time has passed since the film that any negative connotations with the title can be forgotten.
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/07/10...ntlemen-pilot/
Old 07-11-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Fox orders "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" tv show

Hopefully this pilot will stay a bit more faithful to Moore and O'Neill's work, as opposed to the film which took a number of liberties with the source material.
I, for one, can't wait to see the scene where Mr. Hyde anally rapes the Invisible Man to death on network tv!
Old 07-11-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

The film became infamous for being so problematic that it made lead actor/film legend Sean Connery retire from acting. Now that's rough.
Wow.

I am amazed that Zardoz didn't end his career back in 1974.
Old 07-11-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just to clarify, they didn't order this to series. They are just producing a Pilot. As most of you know, many Pilots never make it to series.
Old 07-11-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just to clarify, they didn't order this to series. They are just producing a Pilot. As most of you know, many Pilots never make it to series.
Per the article, it is a put pilot though, so Fox has agreed to air it, even if they don't pick up the series. So at the very least, there will be a TV movie.
Old 07-11-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Meglos
I, for one, can't wait to see the scene where Mr. Hyde anally rapes the Invisible Man to death on network tv!

So it's not just me, thank God.
Old 07-11-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Per the article, it is a put pilot though, so Fox has agreed to air it, even if they don't pick up the series. So at the very least, there will be a TV movie.
Yes, but if the Network still doesn't like it, they can still choose not to air it. "Put Pilots" come with a substantial monetary penalty to the studio for not airing. Usually it's 7 figures.

The last Put Pilot that was good enough to air on FOX, but didn't make it to series was Virtuality in 2009. They had filmed enough for a standalone 2 hour movie, but if I recall correctly a series would have been too expensive.
Old 07-13-13, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could be interestingm. Even a TV movie would be coolio by me.
Old 07-13-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a great idea for a story, hopefully they do a better job than that craptacular movie.
Old 07-13-13, 07:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I actually liked the movie...
Old 07-13-13, 08:19 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Me too.
Old 07-14-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Me too.
Add me to the short list of those who liked the movie.
Old 07-15-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder how furious Alan Moore will be.
Old 07-15-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I wonder how furious Alan Moore will be.
Who cares what Alan Moore thinks. I remember an interview where he bashed every adaptation of his work while he never watched any of it to actually critique any of it. And he also assumed that Hollywood was just supposed to pay him and never get out of the development hell to actually make a movie. He written some great stuff but seems like a very bitter man.
Old 07-15-13, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Who cares what Alan Moore thinks. I remember an interview where he bashed every adaptation of his work while he never watched any of it to actually critique any of it. And he also assumed that Hollywood was just supposed to pay him and never get out of the development hell to actually make a movie. He written some great stuff but seems like a very bitter man.
Well you'd be bitter too if everyone assumed watching a movie based on your work was the same as reading your work. And then the whole legal debacle with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film adaptation and Joel Silver making false claims that Alan Moore read and loved the script to V For Vendetta.

That said, Alan Moore did read David Hayter's draft of Watchmen (which took greater liberties with the source material than the shooting script did) and said it was the closest anyone came to capturing the spirit of one of his works.

The thing with Alan Moore is that he believes a comic book is a comic book and a movie is a movie. He doesn't feel they're interchangeable. In a sense he is right, in terms of how each medium presents the stories told with them. So I get his ire when people seem to think they're interchangeable.
Old 07-15-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, Moore didn't really have a problem with adaptations until Fox was sued over the LXG movie, Moore was called in to testify that he hadn't stolen the idea, and then Fox decided to settle. Moore saw it as the studio casting doubt on him, and was understandably pissed off.
Old 07-15-13, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I liked the movie too though the 2nd time maybe it was not that good.
Old 07-15-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Add me to the short list of those who liked the movie.
The list is getting longer, but I liked it as well.
Old 07-15-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another promising project that will be ruined by being on Fox.
Old 07-15-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Spend more time and make it a good show, and it should work out.

The movie just didn't come together. Lousy effects. Too many characters, thrown in too fast. A plot that only had a few major points. It's hard to explain. But the "woosh woosh" action pieces just don't do it for me anymore. And those movies almost always fail. I can't think too much right now. But, something like Iron Man is quite understated and clean, compared to something like LOEG.

When I was younger, I would enjoy movies that jump right into the action. And get antsy about waiting during the setup. Now, I enjoy the setup. The emotion from the story opens me up to really feel the action sequences.

The stuff with Connery and the father/son type stuff (I hardly remember the movie ... he taught the kid how to shoot) was pretty well done. It was a little touching. And it had it's setup and payoff.
Old 07-15-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed LOEG. Most of my friends give me crap for liking it.
Old 07-15-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alan Moore has spoken.

Alan Moore: 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' show is 'dustbin' hunting

That same television do-over approach worked for Fox with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but that series had the character’s creator, Joss Whedon, on board to show the way. Moore laughed when asked if he or League artist and co-creator Kevin O’Neill would be involved in any way with the broadcast venture.

“Me and Kevin have been chuckling about that one, we only heard about it the other day,” Moore said. “When [DC Comics] did the recent Watchmen prequel comics I said all of sorts of deeply offensive things about the modern entertainment industry clearly having no ideas of its own and having to go through dust bins and spittoons in the dead of night to recycle things.”

After pausing a beat for emphasis he added: “The announcement that there is a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen television series hasn’t caused me to drastically alter my opinions. Now it seems they are recycling things that have already proven not to work.”
Entertainment Weekly
Old 07-15-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Watchmen prequel comics"? That's news to me.
Old 07-15-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They came out last year. We had a Thread about it in the Comic Book Forum. Post #32 gives you a breakdown of what was released.
Old 07-16-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
"Watchmen prequel comics"? That's news to me.
You can skip the comics, they are about to be released in hardcovers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.