TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Blood -- "The Sun" -- 6/23/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
True Blood -- "The Sun" -- 6/23/13

Synopsis:

A long-lost relative reveals himself to Jason and Sookie. After Tara is victimized by a new government weapon, Eric takes matters into his own hands in an effort to thwart Burrell's anti-vampire initiatives. On the road to work, Sookie is drawn to a handsome stranger who shares her faerie abilities. Sam is unnerved by supernatural-rights zealot Nicole (Jurnee Smollett-Bell), and is confronted by Alcide and Martha (Dale Dickey) about Emma's future. Bill contemplates the scope of his heightened powers.

Written by Angela Robinson; directed by Dan Attias.

Episode 2 of 10

Promo:

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1322757.html?height=480&width=640" height="480" width="640" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe>
Old 06-24-13, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: True Blood -- "The Sun" -- 6/23/13

Wow, I didn't get to watch this until 2:30 and still the first to post? Obviously that premonition that Bill had won't come to pass but, I wonder if they'll have the balls to kill anybody unexpected?
Old 06-24-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bad
1. The pacing was off again.
2. Inability to make convincing looking fire yet again.
3. Alcide wtf?
4. Another magic character to fall for Sookie, who is going to try and put him off because she still loves Bill? No thanks.

The Good
1. Lafayette, babysistter
2. Eric Northam, friend to the whooping cranes
3. All scenes with Jason and his faerie grandfather
4. Pam & Nora's talk
5. Arlene going off on Sookie for not showing up to work. About.damn.time.
6. Eric just appearing at your window is just a really nice idea in general
7. Bill's new method of drinking hos was kind of awesome.
8. Jessica was strong in all her scenes.

The Murky
1. The parallels to racism are making me a bit nervous.
2. I didn't like super vampire killing bullets in Underworld and have no desire to see them here.
Old 06-24-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I was wondering why Eric just didnt move at super speed... but flying away was just as good. "they can fly?" lol

I have zero interested in Alcide or the werewolves. Im also looking forward to see what happens with Bill... and more Jessica can't hurt.
Old 06-24-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
The Bad
The Murky
1. The parallels to racism are making me a bit nervous.
Yeah, I don't really like the racism/homophobia metaphor in True Blood.

The vampires are PREDATORS who fucking kill people. Even the 'sympathetic' vampires like Bill, Eric, and Jessica have been shown to murder people with impunity. Never mind things like Eric kidnapping Lafayette, vampires terrorizing innocent people, having their own shadow government, killing and feeding on people right and left, glamouring folks to force their will upon them, yadda yadda yadda.

People are right to fear the vampires. The witches back in season four had a good reason to want to wipe all of the fuckers out.
Old 06-24-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, that's the one thing I don't agree with in this show. If there's a vampire/human war, in the universe this show takes place in, I'm on the side of wiping them out. I have zero sympathy considering how they operate.
Old 06-24-13, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone

The Good
2. Eric Northam, friend to the whooping cranes
LMFAO!!!

Who else thinks this new Faerie that came outta nowhere is Warlow?
Old 06-24-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I thought I was the only one rooting for the humans! The vampires are getting pretty much what they deserve here for the shit they pull.

I'm surprised the Governor didn't think to have his windows coated with that anti-glamor stuff.

Hollywood still can't seem to understand what a bullet is. Did anyone notice when Eric pulled that bullet out of Tara it was the ENTIRE cartridge.
Old 06-24-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by boss429
LMFAO!!!

You mean Ben? I doubt it since he was out during the day and the older the vampire the more hurtful sunlight is to them. Unless he had drank enough Faerie blood to walk in the day. Also Ben had some Faerie powers.

I think Warlow is the Rob Zombie look alike that they showed crossing over on the bridge in this episode. I still don't know if I believe the Faerie grandfather's whole story though.

Best line was when Jason stated that he would be a faerie prince then Rutger Hauer said that the gene skipped him!
Old 06-24-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Only 8 posts? Game of Thrones must be HBO's new hip show if you compare number of discussion pages.

Ep. was better than last week's and at least they are trying to make some things interesting TY. I too am a bit put off by the stupid metaphors.
Old 06-24-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I wonder if the producers know what a good actor they have in Rutger Hauer...he's the most interesting character introduced to the show since Russel Edgington. Sadly, I'm betting they kill him off at the end of the season.

Definitely a WWII analogy going on this season - with the humans as the Nazis.

I wish they would ditch all the werewolf stuff...there's not a likable character in that whole bunch (INCLUDING Alcide, lately).
Old 06-24-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Couldn't figure out where I'd seen that Nicole girl before. Looked her up. She was the new associate on The Defenders a few years ago. Forgotten about her.

The stuff with Bill is stupid, but I like his new-found powers. Andy's pretty much become the best character on the show.

Eric as a nerd was a pretty worthy moment.
Old 06-24-13, 06:39 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Couldn't figure out where I'd seen that Nicole girl before. Looked her up. She was the new associate on The Defenders a few years ago. Forgotten about her.

The stuff with Bill is stupid, but I like his new-found powers. Andy's pretty much become the best character on the show.

Eric as a nerd was a pretty worthy moment.
She will always be Denise to me:

But I did like her on FNL too.
Old 06-24-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anyone else notice somewhat of a resemblance between Eric the Nerd and that Snowden guy?
Old 06-24-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Manco
Hollywood still can't seem to understand what a bullet is. Did anyone notice when Eric pulled that bullet out of Tara it was the ENTIRE cartridge.
That wasn't a bullet. It was some sort of active projectile that was coated in silver and emitting UV light. It even had a battery of some sort.
Old 06-25-13, 01:33 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Anyone else hate foreshadowing by sledgehammer:

"and because you are only half-fae you can only use this power (aka deus ex machina macguffin) once, and then you will no longer be fae"

Blech.
Old 06-25-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm trying to remember but did they ever mention/cure Jason's were-panther thing?
Old 06-25-13, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalbowski
I'm trying to remember but did they ever mention/cure Jason's were-panther thing?
They never had him turn here. He had no reaction.
Old 06-25-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

I'm out. I hated last season and I wanted to give this season a chance but after watching this episode, my wife and I are done (she actually quit during the middle of last season but I coaxed her to give this season a try).

They have lost the fun of the first 2 seasons. Jason was once my favorite character and now he is just a bore. I don't give a crap about Bill anymore. Eric has lost his mystery. Sookie is in a holding pattern where just repeats everything she has done before over and over. And fuck their werewolves and fairies and shifters and whatever other creatures they decide to throw in this season.

I hate to say all that because I really loved the first two seasons and enjoyed the third. Whatever season this one is, they really need to make it their last. The actors seem to be sleepwalking thru their roles...or they just don't have anything to work with. Either way, disappointing.
Old 06-25-13, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by boss429
I doubt that is true, but I would sure like it to be. First, it would save us from another love triangle. Second, she pretty much just took what he said at face value and sent him right to the faerie club. That could get them all wiped out.

Originally Posted by Manco
And I thought I was the only one rooting for the humans! The vampires are getting pretty much what they deserve here for the shit they pull.
I would be very upset if they killed off Eric/Pam/Jessica et al, but agreed. This is all the direct result of what the vampires did last season. They aren't innocent victims of hate. The racism analogy they are working just doesn't fit.
Old 06-25-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That analogy is a joke.
Old 06-25-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I really loved the first two seasons and enjoyed the third.
You loved the 2nd season? Wow! That was the season that almost had me give up completely on the show, but then the show rebounced with a great 3rd season (aka the Russell Edgington season). Yeah, the following couple of seasons (4th and 5th) haven't been as good as the 1st and 3rd, but I'm still sticking with the show... for now.
Old 06-25-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Count me as someone who absolutely loved season two. Some of the weirdest shit I've ever seen on TV.
Old 06-26-13, 03:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Problem for me with Season 2 was that it dragged on way too long; all of the mysteries were solved pretty early and it was a long wait for the eventual conclusion; I think that season would have been better if it spent the latter half dealing with the consequences and grew the characters a little more.

The fact that there was no lapse in time between MaryAnn's death and Bill's abduction points to how uneven that season was.
Old 06-26-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Wasn't season 2 where Jason went to that cult church? If so, yes, I loved that season. Him at the Bible camp cracked me up the entire time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.