Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

curious about DAV-S300

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

curious about DAV-S300

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-00, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was just reading about it.. and had a few questions.

is this an all in one solution? as in, you can just buy it and not need a receiver? it claims to have dts and dd built in.

will it play the sound from your TV (as in when watching normal TV or do you need a receiver for this part)?
Old 11-03-00, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got this system in my bedroom - it is incredible for the price. The receiver is built in to the dvd player. It's a total package - all you need is a nice tv to hook it up to.
Old 11-03-00, 10:47 PM

I bought this system a few months ago along with a 32 inch Trinitron. It is a complete package. The receiver is built into the DVD player. It does in fact have DD and DTS. The wattage is not that high but the system is plenty loud for my living area. The only thing I have against it is the fact that if the DVD player goes bad, you have to replace the DVD player and the receiver b/c of it being an all-in-one. Its still a great deal for what you are getting.
Old 11-04-00, 07:23 PM

is it able to take the sound from your tv (when watching normal tv stations) and output it with the speakers?
Old 11-04-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by circusmunkee:
is it able to take the sound from your tv (when watching normal tv stations) and output it with the speakers?<HR>

Someone correct me if I am wrong...but the thing I do not like about this system is that it is self-contained....if I wanted to run the sound out to another receiver, I am out of luck...no connections to run from the unit to another receiver!!! I also do not believe there are inputs on this unit for you to run from your TV into the unit!!! Once again, I may be wrong so please correct me if I am!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-04-00, 11:01 PM

someone with the dav-s300, can u verify what djones is saying?

thanks djones.. if what you're saying is correct, that kinda sucks :-)
Old 11-05-00, 02:16 AM

I've got my TV running to my VCR and then an audio cable from my VCR going to the DAV. The sound I get from regular TV is very good. I'm not sure about hooking it up to another receiver. This site has the specs if it helps.. http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...00_specs.shtml
Old 11-05-00, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Huckleberry:
I've got my TV running to my VCR and then an audio cable from my VCR going to the DAV. The sound I get from regular TV is very good. I'm not sure about hooking it up to another receiver. This site has the specs if it helps.. http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/homeentertainment/dvdsolutions/ dav-s300_specs.shtml <HR>

Ok....from the specs...this unit does contain 2 sets of audio/video ins and outs...

This unit does not contain an optical or coaxial out for you to connect to another receiver.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-06-00, 01:44 AM

I have the system for a small common room in a dorm. I have no need for anything more powerful and would not have room for anything bigger. I really have no complaints or regrets about buying this.
Old 11-08-00, 02:35 AM

is it possible to replace the speakers with better speakers in the future? or are you stuck with what you got?