Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mistresses (ABC) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mistresses (ABC) - Series Thread

Did anyone watch this last night? I came in to it not expecting much of anything but I actually enjoyed it.

Alyssa Milano is one of 4 friends who all some different romantic issue (one is a widow, one had an affair with a married man, etc.) Milano's character is trying to get pregnant with her husband and they discover he is infertile which causes him to withdraw from her. It also features Yunjin Kim from Lost.

Nothing groundbreaking, but so far seems like an enjoyable summer show.
Old 06-04-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: Mistresses (new ABC series) Premiere 06/03/13

The series premiere of "Mistresses" at 10 posted a 1.2/3, the network's lowest-rated premiere for a scripted series since June 2011's premiere of "Combat Hospital," and took 4.4 million total viewers.
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-pos...ries-low-95191
Old 06-05-13, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh ...... is ABC trying to rival NBC for the stupidest low-rated shows? Absolutely no reason for me to ever look at this again. (Just typing this post is spending more time than this dog deserves.)
Old 06-05-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Saavy. Sounds like one of those dopey made-up names that parents who think they are cool give their kids today.

Alyssa is still looking pretty damn fine though.
Old 06-05-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ABC sucks and all of their shows are geared for women.
Old 06-11-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Saavy. Sounds like one of those dopey made-up names that parents who think they are cool give their kids today.

Alyssa is still looking pretty damn fine though.
It's short for Savannah. I think it was mentioned in the Pilot. Yes she does like really good being 40 now too. Hard to believe.

I just got through both episodes today. I can see this show not really appealing to the majority of this forum. It's really geared towards women, but I found it quite addictive.

at Savvy banging the studly black co-worker and now having guilt over it. She initiated the whole damn thing like he said.

Now the promo for the coming weeks says:

Spoiler:
She's pregnant and the paternity is questionable.

Karen's relationship/interactions with her dead lovers son are quite weird. I was getting a stalker vibe. at her losing it and telling him to get out.

yeah sure kid, you totally wanted to pay for her dry cleaning. Like a rich LA therapist really needs your money.

I have to say that I really like Yunjin Kim here. I always found her quite attractive and her character is really articulate.

For anyone else who is watching, are you feeling some sexual tension between Joss (Savvy's sister) and that Lesbian chick/prospective house buyer who keeps calling her and wanting to hang out? I definitely have that vibe.

So far through the 2 episodes, the least interesting woman is April, who's husband cheated with the white chick.

Overall, it's a nice soap, looks good in HD if you like the genre with some attractive ladies.

BTW, I saw the ratings were up for week 2. Got a 1.4 in the infamous demo out of a lead that got a 1.8. That's actually not bad.
Old 06-12-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now the promo for the coming weeks
Yeah for some reason ABC has gone out of their way to dump the entire season's story line into a few of their promos or at least it felt that way after the first ep.. It would be like if the story line was to count to 10, they showed everything but number 4 and 8..

then again maybe the show plans to be so over the top that whatever I did see was just the tip of the iceberg story wise. I have no idea..

as for the show over all, well at least it has a good looking cast but that's about all it has going for it. I was thinking it would be more campy fun and at least right now it seems a little angst driven for a summer show.
Old 06-27-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I'm not watching the show but am somewhat interested so thanks for the thoughts in this thread.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Did anyone watch this last night? I came in to it not expecting much of anything but I actually enjoyed it.

Alyssa Milano is one of 4 friends who all some different romantic issue (one is a widow, one had an affair with a married man, etc.) Milano's character is trying to get pregnant with her husband and they discover he is infertile which causes him to withdraw from her. It also features Yunjin Kim from Lost.

Nothing groundbreaking, but so far seems like an enjoyable summer show.
Infertile or not, I myself would prefer not to withdraw from Alyssa Milano.
Old 06-28-13, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-06-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is hope for ordinary guys

Old 06-18-15, 05:30 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCITEMENT, SECRECY AND BETRAYAL ARE IN STORE AS "MISTRESSES" RETURNS FOR SEASON THREE WITH A SPECIAL TWO-HOUR PREMIERE, THURSDAY, JUNE 18 ON ABC
Old 06-18-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mistresses (ABC) - Series Thread

I'm happy it's returning, but I'm disappointed Alyssa Milano won't be back. I wonder how they are writing her character out.
Old 06-18-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm happy it's returning, but I'm disappointed Alyssa Milano won't be back. I wonder how they are writing her character out.
They are bringing in a new character played by Jennifer Esposito to replace her. Last season sort of ended on a cliffhanger involving Savi. Yeah I am curious how they write her out.
Old 06-19-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched the 2 hour premiere today

Well, that was interesting. I guess the way they wrote out Alyssa Milano's character made sense under the circumstances. Her character isn't dead, so I'm sure at some point the character could guest star.

Didn't really like the introduction of Jennifer Esposito's character. I don't see how she's going to fit in with the other ladies aside from being a friend to Joss.

I'm a fan of Yunjin Kim and for the most part I like the Karen character, but I wish the writers would bring some joy into her life. The character has been miserable for most of the last season or so and has engaged in some very dangerous behavior. I'd like to see her character have some happiness for a change.

This show is definitely geared more to women, so I doubt we'll be seeing much commentary. Soaps like this, especially female-driven, aren't exactly draws here. But, it's a nice summer guilty pleasure soap with some beautiful ladies. I'll chime in ever now and then.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-19-15 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 03:47 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

MORE DRAMA IN STORE FOR KAREN, JOSS AND APRIL, AS 'MISTRESSES' RETURNS FOR SEASON FOUR WITH A ONE-HOUR PREMIERE, MONDAY, MAY 30, ON ABC
Old 05-31-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone watch? So anyone figure out what is up with Joss? Was she raped or something but didn't want to tell the police that? I couldn't remember much about that incident last season so that part kind of lost me.

Interesting that they did a time jump. April's daughter is still annoyingKind of weird that Karen's 3-way baby daddy would just up and leave, but I guess he didn't fit the storyline for this season.

So no 4th friend this season?