Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Spoils of Babylyon (IFC) - Mini series spoof - Maguire, Wiig - Premieres 1/9/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Spoils of Babylyon (IFC) - Mini series spoof - Maguire, Wiig - Premieres 1/9/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

IFC has announced a spoof miniseries with an all-star cast, including Will Ferrell, Jessica Alba, Val Kilmer, Tobey Maguire, Haley Joel Osment, Michael Sheen, Tim Robbins and Kristen Wiig.

The Spoils of Babylon is based on the fictional novel by fictional author Eric Jonrosh (Ferrell), who has 57 best-sellers in 85 different languages. The six-part series is a century-spanning saga about a family — Jonas Morehouse (Robbins), his daughter Cynthia (Wiig) and her adopted brother Devon (Maguire) — who made their fortune in the oil business. The story also includes Cynthia's evil son Winston (Osment), her husband Chet Halner (Sheen) and Devon's new love interest Dixie Mellonworth (Alba).

And the plot doesn't stop there. There are also illegal arms deals, international espionage and characters like the Shah of Iran (Ferrell) and two Army generals played by Kilmer and Steve Tom.

"This amazingly talented cast will give this decadent genre its due respect," Jennifer Caserta, president and general manager of IFC, said. "Never before has a parody of a mini-series been more poised for showers of accolades."

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/ifc-announ...174400625.html

Old 06-03-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: IFC Announces new Funny or Die produced spoof mini-series starring Will Ferrell

I would like to see a few 15 minute episodes of Bitch Hunters (from 30 Rock). Seems like something that Funny or Die could do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QY7KjhHjSYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i9IA4XFPEnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-03-13, 11:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: IFC Announces new Funny or Die produced spoof mini-series starring Will Ferrell

Funny or Die can be hit or miss. Curious to see how this turns out.
Old 06-04-13, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will it equal the" Greatest Event in Television History" this Thursday on the Cartoon Network?

In October, Adam Scott and Jon Hamm brought the world something called "The Greatest Event in Television History." That amazing bit of TV turned out to be a shot-for-shot remake of the "Simon & Simon" opening credits.

Of course there has to be a follow-up. The next "Greatest Event in Television History" will air on June 6 -- and it will focus on the classic TV show, "Hart to Hart." And Amy Poehler will co-star with Scott this time.

This identification is not exactly official yet, but the one photo released to the world does indicate that the "Parks and Recreation" co-stars will be playing millionaire sleuths

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...t-to-hart.html

Old 01-09-14, 06:11 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Premiering on Thursday, January 9, at 10/9c on IFC after decades of anticipation, Eric Jonrosh's best-selling novel is coming to television. The Spoils of Babylon --the sweeping, provocative tale of the mighty Morehouse family-featuring Jessica Alba, Will Ferrell, Jellybean Howie, Val Kilmer, Tobey Maguire, Haley Joel Osment, Tim Robbins, Michael Sheen, Steve Tom and Kristen Wiig with a cameo by David Spade and the voice of Carey Mulligan.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TkGEg4evHMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 01-09-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Spoils of Babylyon (IFC) - Mini series spoof - Maguire, Wiig - Premieres 1/9/

Word is this one is completely DOA. But with that case I'm still tempted to check it out.
Old 01-10-14, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Spoils of Babylyon (IFC) - Mini series spoof - Maguire, Wiig - Premieres 1/9/

I got drunk and watched it, it didn't help. It's kind of like that movie Will Ferrell did entirely in Spanish.
Old 01-11-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This was a very weird comedy program. It's a complete send-up of those older television event mini-series that were once popular in the '70s and '80s. The best thing I liked about it was the theme song. Tim Robbins was just awful, he's not much of a comedic actor.
Old 01-11-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Tim Robbins was just awful, he's not much of a comedic actor.
Apparently, you haven't seen Howard The Duck.
Old 01-11-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Apparently, you haven't seen Howard The Duck.
It's been decades since I watched it.
Old 01-13-14, 01:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched this over the weekend and it was just...weird. The best part was probably the mannequin voiced by Carey Mulligan.
Old 01-13-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I checked it out. Definitely not my cup of tea. I won't be back this week.
Old 02-05-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is weird and over the top and that is why I liked it lol
Old 02-06-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This was a very weird comedy program. It's a complete send-up of those older television event mini-series that were once popular in the '70s and '80s. The best thing I liked about it was the theme song. Tim Robbins was just awful, he's not much of a comedic actor.
He was supposed to be like that, it's a parody.

I'm pretty sure it's only 6 eps or so anyway.

I have been enjoying it and think it's very funny.