Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mind-Numbing Paradoxes In Popular Films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the most notable ones you can think of?

For me, the one which really fries my brain regards John Connor from the "Terminator" franchise. Who was his original father before sending Reese back in the first movie? Was there some kind of "John Connor Prime" prior to that point? Cameron never bothered explaining it.
Old 05-27-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Mind-Numbing Paradoxes In Popular Films

Primer.

All of it. I'm sure it makes sense after, like, 26 viewings. Maybe.

Not a paradox, but having just watched Star Trek IV there's no way they could have fit whales on a Klingon cruiser. The entire operation blew my mind with inaccuracies. But it was worth it for Scotty's line.
Old 05-27-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of Looper.

Granted, I watched it on a small-ass screen during a trans-Atlantic flight so perhaps I missed a key moment when I was asked what I wanted to drink.

Or maybe I'm just slow to catch on because I never could figure out what the fuck was happening at any point during the film.
Old 05-27-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
All of Looper.

Granted, I watched it on a small-ass screen during a trans-Atlantic flight so perhaps I missed a key moment when I was asked what I wanted to drink.

Or maybe I'm just slow to catch on because I never could figure out what the fuck was happening at any point during the film.
As with any time-travel film, each has its own set of rules as there's really no definitive way for it to make sense without creating a paradox.

Although I felt it was highly overrated and didn't care for it, I did think Looper managed to pull off its own time travel theory without much of a paradox overlay. What was happening made sense to me.

Unless it's a movie without a complex story (i.e. time travel comedies like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure... pretty much any comedy with it as a plot point), most time travel films need multiple viewings for what happened to "sink in".

I've always felt The Terminator series has the worst time travel "laws". None of it makes much sense sense and everything is a paradox in of itself. I think James Cameron even said at one time it gets confusing.
Old 05-27-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hot Tub Time Machine...because, well...time travel!

Also, The Life of American Pi.
Old 05-28-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Terminator" and "T2" win as far as trying to apply logic to the "laws". But the later movies (and show) go and change things that it becomes damn near impossible to explain anything.
Old 05-28-13, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm going to agree with The Terminator films. It's just confusing how John Connor is alive in the future to send Kyle Reese back to ensure that Sarah lives and that he is born.
Old 05-28-13, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The ending to Superman 1978 with Superman spinning the Earth backwards and shit going backwards.
Old 05-28-13, 09:48 AM

The Terminator movies are a closed loop. John Connor sends Kyle Reese back in time who conceives John, who grows to send Kyle back in time who conceives John, and so forth. There is no start point, it just loops.

Same with Skynet, nobody ever invents it. The T-800 is sent back through time, Cyberdyne finds the arm & chip, reverse-engineers the tech to create Skynet, which sends the T-800 back through time, etc etc. It's kind of cool like that.

If there's an inconsistently it's with Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home coupled with Star Trek (2009) in the way they handle time travel. The first implies that time travel is fixed, and you can travel back and forward in time. But the 2009 movie is the more modern concept of time travel, where the act of time travel creates its own universe.
Old 05-28-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The Life of American Pi.
My favorite part was when the tiger fucked the pie.
Old 05-28-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You guys are overthinking time travel. Because it doesn't exist.

Kyle Reese was always John Connor's father. He always came from the future to slap sloppies with Sarah. If you accept that the timestream is fixed and multidimensional, this is simple enough.

Or it created an alternate timestream when he came back. Whatever. Just smile, lay back, and enjoy it. It'll be over soon.
Old 05-28-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Whatever. Just smile, lay back, and enjoy it. It'll be over soon.
No one is going to buy your prostitution lessons if you keep giving away the milk for free.
Old 05-28-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
No one is going to buy your prostitution lessons if you keep giving away the milk for free.
This is the best advice I've ever received I'm definitely gonna pay you back... in RAPE DOLLARS.
Old 05-28-13, 10:47 AM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x8w95xIdH4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-13, 11:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You guys are overthinking time travel. Because it doesn't exist.
This tuna club sandwich I'm holding says otherwise.
Old 05-28-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

On Terminator and T2... The scripts do express the philosophy of predetermined fate vs "the only fate is what we make". That was Cameron's way of dealing with the paradox of time travel.
Old 05-28-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Speaking of Star Trek IV, I always laughed that Kirk pawned off the glasses that McCoy gave him as a birthday present because Kirk thought that once they travelled back to their present, Kirk would have the same glasses again. That would never work unless McCoy bought him another pair of antique glasses for his next birthday that just happened to be the same pair Kirk pwaned off in the 80's.

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
All of Looper.

I liked the concept in Looper that the time traveler is actively affected by the changes he makes. However, the movie did nothing interesting with that and simply remained a bore. Also, the final act by JGL was extremely stupid since his actions would affect the Rainmaker which in turn would lead to Bruce Willis never having been sent back in time, which in turn means that the events that led JGL to do what he did never happened, which in turn means JGL never accomplished a damn thing, which in turn means it all happens again anyway. Now I'd be fine with that kind of an ending but the movie tries to go for a bitter-sweet ending and wrap everything up in a pretty pink bow.
Old 05-28-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Triangle. That one bent my brain into a pretzel for days.
Old 05-28-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Triangle. That one bent my brain into a pretzel for days.
I like how everything concluded but I hated the entire middle section.
Spoiler:
It's awesome that she's doomed to failure every time and will always end up back in that abandoned ship. What bothers me is that except for one brief segment, the movie never has fun with the notion that nothing she does can change the outcome. Instead, she repeats actions she's already witnessed are doomed to failure for no other reason than she's either retarded or the writers got really lazy.

I also found it funny how the writers had one of the characters namedrop Sisyphus but the writers clearly had no idea how to properly apply the allegory.
It was frustrating to me due to its wasted potential.
Old 05-28-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the Future: I'm trying to comprehend how Marty travelling to and from 1955 changed Jennifer's appearance!
Old 05-28-13, 01:23 PM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

"Ahh, yeah. Well, whenever you notice something like that, a wizard did it."

Old 05-28-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Back to the Future: I'm trying to comprehend how Marty travelling to and from 1955 changed Jennifer's appearance!
Clearly Marty's antics with the skateboard forever changed who would be one of Jennifer's parents. Duh!
Old 05-28-13, 01:32 PM

I liked the episode of Futurama where Fry goes back in time, unknowingly impregnates his grandmother and becomes his own grandfather.

"Oh another lesson in maintaining the space-time continuum from Mr. 'I'm my own grandfather!"
Old 05-28-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
I liked the episode of Futurama where Fry goes back in time, unknowingly impregnates his grandmother and becomes his own grandfather.

"Oh another lesson in maintaining the space-time continuum from Mr. 'I'm my own grandfather!"
Old 05-28-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mattflix

I loved that episode so much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.