Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Everybody Wants Some (2016, D: Linklater) - "spiritual sequel" to Dazed & Confused

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Everybody Wants Some (2016, D: Linklater) - "spiritual sequel" to Dazed & Confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 01:14 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I would've thought there was thread about this. I searched and searched but found nothing... Anyway... I'm starting this because Linklater is doing a reddit AMA and answered this question.

What's the status of the spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused?

RichardLinklater
Hoping to make it this fall, actually. A college comedy. I feel like mixing it up with a big ensemble.
"I carefully called it a spiritual sequel to Dazed cause it’s not the same characters. If Dazed was my High School, this is my college," Linklater told Collider back in 2009. "It’s about a weekend in college in that time period. It’s funny…I think it’s the funniest thing I ever wrote."

Taken from articles 2 years ago:

"It's just sitting there," the easygoing Austin-based filmmaker said sounding surprisingly undefeated. "I even have it financed, I just have to get a distributor that would do it or would give me enough to make it." Note to any mini-majors, we're looking at you here.

"Unless it's a tentpole, sequel, remake, or over-the-top comedy, that's all the studios are even doing," the director noted of the safe and boring choices Hollywood is making these days. "They've kind of admitted they're not in the business of doing anything else. The slightest level of irony or intelligence and, boom, you're out of the league, you're done."

The project reportedly had Matthew McConaughey in loose talks to star. A number of people that Linklater had in mind for the juicy roles are even said to have already read for the project.

Last edited by dex14; 05-22-13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: That's What I'm Talking About(spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused) Rumors, news,

Man I hope this happens.
Old 05-23-13, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: That's What I'm Talking About(spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused) Rumors, news,

i felt like Noah Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming was the college answer to Dazed and Confused... of course set in a different time.

either way, i'd LOVE to see this.
Old 05-24-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Dazed and Confused is my all-time favorite movie, but I do not want a sequel. You can't recreate the kind of magic that was in the first one. I hope this doesn't happen.
Old 05-24-13, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good thing it's not going to be a sequel. I'm cautiously optimistic it'll have it's own special place alongside Dazed, but who knows.
Old 05-25-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Dazed and Confused is my all-time favorite movie, but I do not want a sequel. You can't recreate the kind of magic that was in the first one. I hope this doesn't happen.
Did you even read what it said? The only connection it has to Dazed & Confused is that if Dazed was his high school experience, That's What I'm Talking About is his college experience. It won't have any of the same character's, actors or storyline. It's a completly original film. How could you read that and get out of it that what it mainly is, is a Dazed & Confused sequel?
Old 05-25-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Did you even read what it said? The only connection it has to Dazed & Confused is that if Dazed was his high school experience, That's What I'm Talking About is his college experience. It won't have any of the same character's, actors or storyline. It's a completly original film. How could you read that and get out of it that what it mainly is, is a Dazed & Confused sequel?
Although they did say McConaughey was considered. If he ends up being in it, I guess he'd play a professor or something because surely he can't pass for a college student now.
Old 08-04-14, 07:24 PM

Linklater dropped out of a project, with hopes to focus on finally getting this made.

Richard Linklater is exiting Warner Bros.' The Incredible Mr. Limpet, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The director, whose 12-years-in-the-making film Boyhood is currently in theaters and has been garnering strong critical praise, had been attached to the remake of the 1964 family comedy since 2011.

Based on the novel by Theodore Pratt, Mr. Limpet centers on a man who is transformed into a fish. Sources say Warner Bros. has been talking to directors to replace Linklater after it began to look like his schedule wouldn't match up with the studio's timeline for making the film. Warner Bros. and reps for Linklater had no comment.

According to sources, Linklater wants to concentrate on That's What I'm Talking About, a 1980s, university-set project that is akin to his cult hit, Dazed & Confused, which was set in the 1970s and set in high school. The project, which is based on Linklater's life, follows freshmen as they navigate through the first year of college life, while trying to make the baseball team.

Talking About is another passion project for Linklater and the filmmaker would love to capitalize on Boyhood's heat to make this one a reality. Several sources say Linklater would like to shoot the project in the fall, which would have pushed work on Limpet into 2015.

It's also likely that Linklater could be very busy during awards season with Boyhood, although it's still too soon to tell. And he's attached to Larry's Kidney, an adaptation of Daniel Asa Rose's memoir to star Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis. He's repped by CAA, Cinetic Management, Anonymous Content and Sloss Law Office.
Old 09-12-14, 02:59 PM

Re: That's What I'm Talking About (D: Linklater) - spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confus

EXCLUSIVE: Fresh from his time lapse masterpiece Boyhood, Richard Linklater is casting for That’s What I’m Talking About, the baseball-themed film he’ll make next. I’m told he has offered the three leads to these actors: Glee’s Blake Jenner, Teen Wolf’s Tyler Hoechlin, and 22 Jump Street’s Wyatt Russell. They’ve each got an offer to play one of the lead baseball players.

The film is said to be very much in tone similar to Linklater’s stoner pic Dazed and Confused. It is set in 1980, and a college freshman moves into the baseball house at his college and experiences a fraternity like lifestyle with his hard partying teammates.
http://deadline.com/2014/09/richard-...-movie-833661/
Old 09-12-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Although they did say McConaughey was considered. If he ends up being in it, I guess he'd play a professor or something because surely he can't pass for a college student now.
Well that's what he loves about these college girls, man. He get older, they stay the same age.
Old 09-16-14, 12:47 PM

Re: That's What I'm Talking About (D: Linklater) - spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confus

EXCLUSIVE: Richard Linklater has tapped Step Up All In star Ryan Guzman for That’s What I’m Talking About, the baseball movie he’s assembling following his acclaimed time lapse drama Boyhood. Guzman has landed a lead role in the 1980s-set film about a college freshman who moves into a fraternity-like baseball house with his hard-partying teammates. He’s got the background for the part: The athletic actor, who has starred in two Step Up dance pics, was a college pitcher before he turned to acting. As Deadline’s Mike Fleming first reported offers are out to thesps Blake Jenner (Glee), Tyler Hoechlin (Teen Wolf), and Wyatt Russell (22 Jump Street). Guzman next stars opposite Jennifer Lopez in Universal and Blumhouse’s January thriller The Boy Next Door and is playing Rio in the Jon M. Chu-directed Jem and the Holograms, also for Universal and Blumhouse. He’s repped by Luber Roklin, CAA, and Neil Meyer.
Old 09-16-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It would have been interesting if it was the further adventures of Mitch Kramer.
Old 09-17-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It would have been interesting if it was the further adventures of Mitch Kramer.
If it was made a few years after it would have been cool to have some of the original cast. I think going with a whole new crew for college is probably correct being all the time that has passed by.
Old 09-17-14, 09:49 AM

All depends on what year in the 80s... If its 1986/87... that would be 10 years after D&C... they could pull off McConaughey as a coach or something. But unfortunately, it seems Linklater has already stated there will be no repeating characters. I'd love it if just 1 small one was snuck in somewhere to show some sort of connection.

Old 09-20-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
If it was made a few years after it would have been cool to have some of the original cast. I think going with a whole new crew for college is probably correct being all the time that has passed by.
I was just contemplating since Mitch was seen playing baseball as an incoming frosh. It could be a different actor, but continuing the character.

Of course, according to the internets, Mitch grew up to be Tim Lincecum.
Old 12-29-14, 02:25 PM

Looks like this wrapped:

Richard Linklater talking about his spiritual sequel to DAZED AND CONFUSED:

Well, I think the word “spiritual” gets me off the hook. I just shot it and wrapped it recently, and it has nothing to do with DAZED AND CONFUSED other than it would be set four years later, when one of the younger characters went off to college. It’s a party film. It’s really about the beginning of school, not the end of the school year. I guess personally or autobiographically it’s kind of in that realm, but it’s also a continuation of BOYHOOD, believe it or not. I don’t know if one film can be a sequel to two different movies, but it begins right where BOYHOOD ends with a guy showing up at college and meeting his new roommates and a girl. It overlaps with the end of BOYHOOD.
Old 12-29-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this also could be like a 'what happens when Mason goes to college, except its the 1980s"?
Old 05-01-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's What I'm Talking About: Dazed and Confused "Sequel"

I introduced my daughter to my favorite high school movie of all time last night, Dazed and Confused. She loved it. I Googled it this morning and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27...ng_About_(film)

I did a search and can't find a thread here on this. I personally didn't know this is happening. It looks like filming has wrapped and it's set for a summer or fall release.

More details here:
http://screencrush.com/thats-what-im...later-details/
Old 06-01-15, 02:51 PM

Re: Everybody Wants Some (D: Linklater) - spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused

After crafting two of the finest films of the current decade with Before Midnight and Boyhood, it’s safe to say anticipation is high for Richard Linklater‘s next film, a spiritual sequel to his 1993 hit Dazed and Confused. Once going by That’s What I’m Talking About, the comedy now has a new title, along with the initial details on what to expect from the soundtrack.

Thanks to the near-finished film now conducting test screenings, we’ve confirmed it’s currently going by Everybody Wants Some, named after the Van Halen song. Also including more music from the era by Talking Heads, Blondie, Pat Benatar, and Devo, no specific tracks are named, but we do get a synopsis, which can be read below:

It’s the last weekend of freedom before college starts and Everybody Wants Some.

A “spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused and set in the world of 1980 college life, Everybody Wants Some is a comedy that follows a group of friends as they navigate their way through the freedoms and responsibilities of unsupervised adulthood. Get ready for the best weekend ever.

These details certainly go in line with that Linklater said earlier this year in his extensive chat with Marc Maron: “You show up at college and you’re listening to Van Halen, but you go to discos to chase women, but then you end up at a punk club or a country bar because Urban Cowboy was big at that time. All that stuff was on the table, so it’s an interesting cultural moment because they go to an art party and they’re listening to the Talking Heads, so it’s a cultural moment where I’m like, ‘Who am I?’ Am I punk? Am I new wave? Am I heavy metal?”
http://thefilmstage.com/news/richard...track-details/
Old 07-27-15, 04:06 PM

re: Everybody Wants Some (2016, D: Linklater) - spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused

Boyhood director Richard Linklater's next film, a currently untitled baseball movie, will hit theaters on April 15, 2016.

The Annapurna film, which Paramount will release in North America, stars Tyler Hoechlin, Blake Jenner, Wyatt Russell and Zoey Deutch. It was previously called That’s What I’m Talking About.

The movie centers on freshmen who work their way through the first year of college life as they try to make the baseball team.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...vie-set-811248

I guess they still haven't settled on a name.
Old 12-21-15, 01:56 PM

Re: Everybody Wants Some (2016, D: Linklater) - spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused

Trailer will drop tomorrow.

Old 12-21-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Everybody Wants Some (2016, D: Linklater) - spiritual sequel to Dazed & Confused

I love Dazed and Confused (just bought and re-watched the Criterion Blu-ray recently) so hopefully this is as good.
Old 12-21-15, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

can't wait for that trailer!!
Old 12-22-15, 10:49 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wF6hL5u-n6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-22-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

That looks awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.