Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Fast and Furious 6?
It was awesome. Bring on Part 7!
61.04%
It was good, not great. Still entertained.
25.97%
It was just okay
5.19%
Didn't like it. But will continue watching the series
2.60%
Hated it. I'm done with the series. Screw Part 7, 8, 9
1.30%
I'm in this thread because I'm bored and I read every single thread in Movie Talk
2.60%
I'm lazy and will wait until it's released on BD this Fall
1.30%
I want to see this movie, but can't because of my damn kids.
0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Thread

Old 05-20-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Dwayne Johnson lead the returning cast of all-stars as the global blockbuster franchise built on speed races to its next continent in Fast & Furious 6. Reuniting for their most high-stakes adventure yet, fan favorites Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang, Gal Gadot, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges and Elsa Pataky are joined by badass series newcomers Luke Evans and Gina Carano.

Since Dom (Diesel) and Brian’s (Walker) Rio heist toppled a kingpin’s empire and left their crew with $100 million, our heroes have scattered across the globe. But their inability to return home and living forever on the lam have left their lives incomplete.

Meanwhile, Hobbs (Johnson) has been tracking an organization of lethally skilled mercenary drivers across 12 countries, whose mastermind (Evans) is aided by a ruthless second-in-command revealed to be the love Dom thought was dead, Letty (Rodriguez). The only way to stop the criminal outfit is to outmatch them at street level, so Hobbs asks Dom to assemble his elite team in London. Payment? Full pardons for all of them so they can return home and make their families whole again.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_puVuHoR6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Opens this Friday, but might as well start this now. It's already opened overseas.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fast_and_furious_6/

As of right now for those who care about Rotton Tomatoes, it's at 78%

In case you didn't know, Part 7 was already greenlit and will be released Summer 2014.

According to this interview with Vin Diesel, they plan to do a Part 7, 8, 9

http://www.hitfix.com/news/vin-diese...-trilogy-watch
Old 05-20-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Threa

And a refresher on the series:

Old 05-20-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Threa

Hoping to see this Friday afternoon. Have an $8 Fandango coupon for buying Pitch Black last week.

I have all 5 movies on BD. Tempted to do a little marathon this week leading into the new movie.
Old 05-21-13, 04:22 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Buy 6 tickets and get one of your tickets for free!
Purchase six or more movie tickets to any showing of Fast & Furious 6 on Fandango, enter FAST in the promo code box and receive one of your six tickets free.

Terms and Conditions

Purchase six or more movie tickets to any showing of Fast & Furious 6 on Fandango, enter FAST in the promo code box and receive one of your six tickets free. This offer is valid for purchases made between 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on 4/29/2013 and 11:59 p.m. PT on 5/24/2013, while supplies last. Value of complimentary movie ticket (up to $15, including Fandango’s convenience fee) will be deducted from a single order on Fandango and applied to the least expensive ticket in your order. If movie ticket with Fandango’s convenience fee included is more than maximum $15 value of the complimentary ticket, customer must pay the difference with a valid credit or debit card or via Paypal. Any price difference between movie purchased and maximum value of the Fandango offer will not be refunded. Limit one complimentary movie ticket per transaction per customer. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Void where prohibited. This offer is subject to Fandango’s terms and conditions at http://www.fandango.com/termsofuse.aspx
Old 05-21-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught the pre-screening of it yesterday.
Totally surprised me! I haven't had this much mindless fun at an action fim in a loooong time. Stick around after the credits start to roll. 7 is going to be awesome!
Old 05-21-13, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't laughed and had so much fun with any other movie this year, and I've watched Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness and Tango & Cash in the past month. RIDE OR DIE!!!
Old 05-21-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

I just finished re-watching the 1st movie on BD and it's amazing how this series began 12 years.

Dom was essentially the same. at them making Paul Walker who looked like a greasy haired California surfer dude at the time an Undercover LAPD officer. It was still very entertaining.

The series has definitely gotten better over the years, especially when Lin took over as director and it became more of an ensemble heist film series than about street racing.
Old 05-21-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, this thread is dense.
Old 05-22-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome movie... caught a pre screening... just mindless fun... definitely getting better... and the end credits, wow... its about time
Old 05-24-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gina Carano does not fight Joe Taslim. There is no God. And she turns out to be a villain at the end, for no apparent reason. On the other hand, that was JASON FUCKING STATHAM! Maybe the Fast franchise will finally have a worthy villain. But Justin Lin is gone ! I bet he'll have his pick of big Hollywood franchise movies now. This was the cinematic equivalent of eating a box of doughnuts and caffein pile and chasing it with Red Bull and pop. Total junk food, but loads of brawny, brainless fun, I laughed a lot and had loads of fun. I'm betting they decided to reset the chronology because Sung Kang is going with Justin Lin on his next project. Hope whoever they pick next can pick up the slack. Diesel, the Stath, and the Rock will be too much bald and burly testosterone to handle.
Old 05-24-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved this movie, and the crowd I saw it with loved it too. The great thing about Fast 6 is this movie knows exactly what it is, and isn't ashamed of it at all. It was totallyy over the top, ridiculous, and just total nonsense -- and oh so glorious. I liked Fast 4 and 5, but I feel like they've cracked the code with 6. Tons of amazing action set pieces, and lots of great driving. The addition for the next film? I couldn't have asked for anyone better.

Last edited by boredsilly; 05-24-13 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-24-13, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this yesterday.
Loved the titles, memories.
It's very different the Fast 5 in my eyes. Fast 5 was lighter, this is mean. We have alot of innocent people die in this film in that tank chase. It does have a darker feel.
The London sequence is longer then I expected but I do like seeing my hometown.
The end scene is beyond silly and just got a little boring. I enjoyed the end chase from F5 better. It was just never ending.

When people say end credit scene are they saying a scene right at the end of the credits or the crash sequence with the surprise? Also, was it as good as the F5 endscene?
Old 05-24-13, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdslater1
The end scene is beyond silly and just got a little boring. I enjoyed the end chase from F5 better. It was just never ending.

When people say end credit scene are they saying a scene right at the end of the credits or the crash sequence with the surprise? Also, was it as good as the F5 endscene?
I disagree. I think the final set piece in 6 is better as it raised the stakes by killing off characters giving us a far better setup into 7 (as did the surprise sequence after the "don't try this at home" warning).
Old 05-24-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to mention, while the tank was totally running over cars, they did do that GI Joe thing of showing people jump out of a lot of them before they were trampled. Yes, people were killed, but you don't see a single dead body in a car, keeping the scene cartoony. It's the same as the ending of 5. Tons of people were probably killed while pulling the safe, by our heroes no less, but we don't get to see that.
Old 05-24-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And you didn't think that was the worlds longest runway then?
I did enjoy the clothesline move the Rock did. It's just that it went on too long and was cut to quick and I found it hard to follow whereas I thought the Fast Five end sequence was better handled.

Did you think they would really see a dead, mangled body?!
I did really enjoy this. Don't get me wrong but I feel it had a different flavour. I did give it top marks in the poll. I'm deeply in love with Carla.
Thanks Matthew for the end scene confirmation.
Old 05-24-13, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Saw it last night and holy shit... it was a hella fun watch. I read some paper review where they say the story was terrible, but I found it ok and liked the explanation behind how Letty was still alive.

Love how they used old fotage to push the story forward.

I rearly watch a movie twice at the theater, but I will be watching this again this weekend.
Old 05-24-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Gina Carano does not fight Joe Taslim. There is no God. And she turns out to be a villain at the end, for no apparent reason. On the other hand, that was JASON FUCKING STATHAM! Maybe the Fast franchise will finally have a worthy villain. But Justin Lin is gone ! I bet he'll have his pick of big Hollywood franchise movies now. This was the cinematic equivalent of eating a box of doughnuts and caffein pile and chasing it with Red Bull and pop. Total junk food, but loads of brawny, brainless fun, I laughed a lot and had loads of fun. I'm betting they decided to reset the chronology because Sung Kang is going with Justin Lin on his next project. Hope whoever they pick next can pick up the slack. Diesel, the Stath, and the Rock will be too much bald and burly testosterone to handle.
Are you serious?! Jason Statham is in this???!!!!! That makes it a must-see, in my book. Does he fight anybody? Does Gina Carano fight anybody? If you tell me they fight each other, I'm leaving my office right now and going to see this--in the rain!
Old 05-24-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Are you serious?! Jason Statham is in this???!!!!! That makes it a must-see, in my book. Does he fight anybody? Does Gina Carano fight anybody? If you tell me they fight each other, I'm leaving my office right now and going to see this--in the rain!
Spoiler:
Statham only cameos during the end credits where it's revealed that he was the one who crashed into Han in Tokyo Drift as a revenge killing over the death of his brother, played by Luke Evans, in this movie.
Old 05-24-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Are you serious?! Jason Statham is in this???!!!!! That makes it a must-see, in my book. Does he fight anybody? Does Gina Carano fight anybody?
That's what I said! I had no idea, I thought footage from The Transporter started playing by accident or something .

Spoiler:
No, he doesn't fight anybody, he has a brief cameo as the guy who actually killed Han in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Apparently he's the brother of the bad guy from this movie, although without the buzz on the Internet, there'd be no way to know that. I think his cameo is unbilled. It's not technically post-credits, but it does come after the end card.

Gina Carano throws down with Michelle Rodriguez and has a few smaller fight scenes with others. She doesn't fight with Joe Taslim, because God hates martial arts film fans. Taslim has a smackdown with Tyrese and Kang, and beats the hell out of them though, which is kind of amusing.

Spoiler:
Gina turns out to be in league with the bad guys at the end, so she won't be in the sequel so that Elsa Pataky could reprise her role as Hobbes' partners, since Michelle Rodriguez returns as Vin's love interest.
Old 05-24-13, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Haven't followed this franchise that closely, I was confused why would Michelle Rodriguez's character be the love interest of Dom? Wasn't she the sister of Dom? That's why Dom has to risk everything to save her because she's family? Just because she lost her memory it's okay for brother to love his sister like a lover?
Old 05-24-13, 10:28 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Haven't followed this franchise that closely, I was confused why would Michelle Rodriguez's character be the love interest of Dom? Wasn't she the sister of Dom? That's why Dom has to risk everything to save her because she's family? Just because she lost her memory it's okay for brother to love his sister like a lover?
Seriously? Jordana Brewster is his sister. Michelle Rodriguez was his girlfriend.
Old 05-24-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

You sir have to watch the first movie. Letty is Dom's girl friend since day one... they have a long history together. Dom's code is "Family", thats why he keeps saying shit about "family". lol
Old 05-24-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's pretty clear you haven't followed the franchise closely. She's his family, the way close friends are your family.

I've been thinking about this movie since leaving the theater last night, and something just struck me. It was so nice seeing a big budget movie that had such a diverse cast. It didn't even strike me until this morning, but usually a movie like this would be a majority of white actors, with maybe a token person of color (or two) thrown into the mix. Fast 6 was practically a rainbow. And not only a diverse set of actors, but also 3 strong women in prominent and semi-prominent roles (with more strong women in more minor roles). That's kind of awesome when you think about it.

The only thing that would have made this movie better is if Shaw was played by Idris Elba...because Idris makes everything better. But the Shaw we got was very good. Handsome ass Orlando Bloom looking motherfucker that he was.

I can't wait to go see this again. I have a feeling I'll be seeing this multiple times in theaters, which is rare for me.
Old 05-24-13, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dex14
Seriously? Jordana Brewster is his sister. Michelle Rodriguez was his girlfriend.
Yes, seriously, I haven't followed the franchise that closely, but I'm glad that's amusing to you.

Originally Posted by csant
You sir have to watch the first movie. Letty is Dom's girl friend since day one... they have a long history together. Dom's code is "Family", thats why he keeps saying shit about "family". lol
So calling girlfriend a family is normal then. Got it, stupid me. Why wouldn't I call my girlfriend or ex family? That's totally normal and not egotistic.
Old 05-24-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So calling girlfriend a family is normal then. Got it, stupid me. Why wouldn't I call my girlfriend or ex family? That's totally normal and not egotistic.
Your not stupid, but it isn't egotistic in the context of the movies. Which you've admitted you aren't really up on, so it is a bit silly to debate the merits of something you're a bit foggy on, no?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.