Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Finales: Lost VS Sopranos

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What series had the Worst finale?
Lost
60.53%
Sopranos
39.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It seems both shows get a lot of hate for the way they ended things. After watching both I would have to say Lost is the more disappointing finale. Sopranos had a really good final season. Maybe not the best of the series but there was a lot more good stuff than bad. Lost on the other hand had a completely forgettable final season with the finale being the topping on the shitcake. Sopranos finale was mostly awesome with the exception of the last scene. And even that final scene was better than the final scene of Lost.
Old 05-20-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Finales: Lost VS Sopranos

Sopranos.

Lost while not resolving many of the 'issues' still wrapped up all the different relationships to give them happy endings.
Old 05-20-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked the Lost finale a lot.

I didn't like the Sopranos finale one bit.
Old 05-20-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Loved Sopranos. Lost, like the last two thirds of that series was a giant disappointment. To me anyways...
Old 05-20-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Loved Sopranos. Lost, like the last two thirds of that series was a giant disappointment. To me anyways...
And to me.

I was disappointed with the very ending of the Sopranos finale, but the episode itself was okay.
Old 05-20-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

The Lost finale was garbage. Just a bunch of emotional scenes thrown together to make you forget that they didn't resolve any of the actual story.
Old 05-20-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't see how this is close. Lost basically just shit all over people with that finale.

Sopranos was on a decline but what they did wasn't really shocking to me. Chase didn't seem like the type of guy to just kill off Tony or let him get off the hook. As far as I know Sopranos never promised we'd know what happens to Tony only to give its viewers a big middle finger with the finale.
Old 05-20-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I thought both were suitable to their shows.

Lost explained what it needed to explain, some people got off the island, others didn't, and it had a goofy sci-fi element. It was satisfying, conclusive and consistent with the rest of the show (it told the story it wanted to, it just didn't have the details some people wanted).

The Sopranos basically ended. Abruptly. Fit the show fine.
Old 05-20-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted Sopranos because it was so empty but had Seinfeld been an option I'd have gone with that
Old 05-20-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easily Lost. The last season of the Sopranos was overly long but had some good episodes and the finale was good and concluded things well other than that lame final scene. Just the entire last season of Lost soured me so much on the show that I may never watch it again.
Old 05-20-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Lost explained what it needed to explain
Sorry but .
Old 05-20-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I liked the Lost finale a lot.

I didn't like the Sopranos finale one bit.
That's me as well.

I think so much of the last couple of season of Sopranos was about giving Italian-American actors jobs that I just had a hard time caring about much that was going on. I just wanted it over but remember being pissed that we got a non ending.
Old 05-20-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sopranos.

Lost worked fine for me. It makes me laugh that some are so bent out shape, offended even, by it.
Old 05-20-13, 02:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Lost explained what it needed to explain, some people got off the island, others didn't, and it had a goofy sci-fi element. It was satisfying, conclusive and consistent with the rest of the show (it told the story it wanted to, it just didn't have the details some people wanted).
Agreed. Wasn't the type of ending I was expecting so I was disappointed when I saw it, but have watched it since and am fine with it.
Old 05-20-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lost completely fell apart. I really think too many people guessed the twist, some kind of prugatory, that limpdicklof just winged it. Alot of science fiction has resolution problems but Lost was pathetic.
Old 05-20-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

easily Sopranos
Old 05-20-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck I didn't read the question, I thought it was who has the best finale and voted Lost.

I haven't watched The Sopranos but I'm a Lost fanboy, so I always vote in favor of that show.
Old 05-20-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't see how this is close. Lost basically just shit all over people with that finale.

Sopranos was on a decline but what they did wasn't really shocking to me. Chase didn't seem like the type of guy to just kill off Tony or let him get off the hook. As far as I know Sopranos never promised we'd know what happens to Tony only to give its viewers a big middle finger with the finale.
I agree with your description of Lost, although that was going on for much more time than the last episode. So much potential was squandered with that show.

I disagree with the Sopranos. Tony is dead. I enjoyed it.
Old 05-20-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Sopranos finale was boring as all get out save for the couple of minutes in the diner before the terrible blackout. Those were some nailbiting minutes but they were ruined by the rest of that snooze-fest.

Lost, while not great, had more great moments sprinkled throughout.
Old 05-20-13, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost by a mile. IT was the show that supposedly had a beginning and an end but really the majority of the series felt like it was thrown together on the fly and the last season was the biggest example of that. It truly did shit on the fans.

Sopranos finale fit the series. It was never a mafia focused show primarily. It was character driven, introspective and never, ever followed a traditional season arc (remember the van in the woods episode that caused many a pissed off fan when that cliffhanger went no where?!
Old 05-20-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

LOST by a mile; it honestly took a huge hit narrative wise from the writers strike which was the genesis of a lot of stuff never getting properly explained.

Soparnos should have ended after three, maybe four seasons.
Old 05-20-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

I agree with your description of Lost, although that was going on for much more time than the last episode. So much potential was squandered with that show.

I disagree with the Sopranos. Tony is dead. I enjoyed it.
I will say I also believe Tony is dead. I just wasn't surprised Chase didn't make it clear cut.
Old 05-20-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Lost completely fell apart. I really think too many people guessed the twist, some kind of prugatory, that limpdicklof just winged it. Alot of science fiction has resolution problems but Lost was pathetic.
How was that a twist? The entire season had flash-whatever to purgatory, but the island itself and first 5 seasons had nothing to do with purgatory at all.

Maybe I'm more lenient since I just re-watched the series a few months ago (finishing it for the first time) but after all the complaints I figured the ending was a disaster. It wasn't, it followed through to Jack's end and stopped.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely love the end of Sopranos. Very clear what happened there even if you didn't get to see the headshot. I like that they didn't spoonfeed it to you.
Old 05-20-13, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entire final season of Lost was a total mess, but that absurd finale took it to another level of awfulness. The cherry on top was the bright white light of the afterlife. It still makes me howl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.