Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - "Something New" - 5/6/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 02:35 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "Something New" - 5/6/13

Season 8, Episode 23
Episode Synopsis: Years ago in Central Park, Robin buried a "something old" for her wedding, but now she can't locate it. Meanwhile, Marshall and Lily ask Ted to help them pack for Italy; and Barney spends some bonding time with Robin Sr. Original Air Date: May 6, 2013
Guest Cast Ray Wise: Robin Sr.
Season Finale next week.

Last edited by dex14; 05-07-13 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 07:44 PM

Re: How I Met Your Mother - "Something New" - 5/6/13

They better not...
Old 05-06-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
They better not...
x2
Old 05-06-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Ugh, why are they wasting our time with this?

I didn't like this episode at all and I've been forgiving of this season. The Marshall/Lilly stuff was annoying. Really, you're afraid that your best friends of 15 years will forget about you because they go to Italy for a year?
Old 05-06-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

"Guest Cast Ray Wise: Robin Sr. Bob Saget"
What does that mean from the op?
Old 05-06-13, 10:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ugh... I just want to get next season over with. Too much time invested to quit now.
Old 05-07-13, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow. They killed all momentum with this episode, we all know the wedding is where he meets the mom. We also know the wedding happens SO WHY STOP ALL FOWARD MOVEMENT TO CREATE USELESS AND WASTEFUL NON TENSION?!

It's like the writers just do not want to finish and close storylines as evidenced by Victoria and Quinn. Are they going to keep playing the "will they or won't they" game when the mom shows up next year? Why not add more to this train wreck and have Nora come back too?
Old 05-07-13, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by whotony
"Guest Cast Ray Wise: Robin Sr. Bob Saget"
What does that mean from the op?
A mistake
Old 05-07-13, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by emachine12
Wow. They killed all momentum with this episode, we all know the wedding is where he meets the mom. We also know the wedding happens SO WHY STOP ALL FOWARD MOVEMENT TO CREATE USELESS AND WASTEFUL NON TENSION?!

It's like the writers just do not want to finish and close storylines as evidenced by Victoria and Quinn. Are they going to keep playing the "will they or won't they" game when the mom shows up next year? Why not add more to this train wreck and have Nora come back too?
Im thinking that the wedding doesnt actually go through (after last nights episode and the episode earlier with the girl with the 'ridonkulous' body), and the very last scene of this season is Ted at the train station.

Question: we've seen marshall, lily, and robin in 'future' scenes, but have we ever seen barney? (the episode this season where ted imagines future ted and future barney dont count)
Old 05-07-13, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that I can think of but we do know future Barney is part of Ted's life from all the times he has mentioned their 'Uncle Barney'.

We also know that Robin can't and never does have kids, so doing a 180 and making Robin the mother is a big departure from what we already know.
Old 05-07-13, 08:02 AM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx
Question: we've seen marshall, lily, and robin in 'future' scenes, but have we ever seen barney? (the episode this season where ted imagines future ted and future barney dont count)
Spoiler:
I have a feeling that Barney's died in the distant future. I also can't remember seeing "old" Barney in the show. He was absent from the smoking episode a few season ago.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
We also know that Robin can't and never does have kids, so doing a 180 and making Robin the mother is a big departure from what we already know.
I think that is causing the frustration with the viewers. Robin can't be the mother. I'm tired of Ted pining over Robin....again and again and again.
Old 05-07-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the writers/producers and us had agreed that Ted and Robin were over. So I thought maybe I was seeing things that weren't suppose to be.

So, it's a sitcom, it can't be dark and do things like some you mentioned above. I though they'd already confirmed that they will show the mom in the last episode and she will be a regular next, last, season.

We will see.
Old 05-07-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Okay episode, but I did enjoy Ted's speech to Robin.

I still think it's plausible that Robin is the wife. It actually makes the most sense in regards to the title of the show. I've maintained that the entire run of the show is pointless if the ultimate goal is meeting the wife. You have 9 years of meaningless story given to his two kids only to culminate in meeting someone we have zero emotional ties to? I've never understood the appeal of that payoff, it makes no sense from a storytelling perspective.

The show began with Ted & Robin and their courtship culminates at her and Barney's wedding when they both realize it. Problem is, do previous clues still line up? They could easily adopt kids. No problem there. Could Robin have been living with Bilson's character for a short period? Have we ever seen Robin's place? Where was that in the timeline? Could Robin have been at the train station? The band member at Robin & Barney's wedding bit doesn't fit at all though, unless Robin picks up a guitar for some silly bit. Yes, this also means that the kids have an aunt with the same name as their mother. Unusual but not unheard of (my wife and SiL share the same name).

... or it's Occam's razor at play and the writers are simply yanking the viewers chain once again.
Old 05-07-13, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Okay episode, but I did enjoy Ted's speech to Robin.

I still think it's plausible that Robin is the wife. It actually makes the most sense in regards to the title of the show. I've maintained that the entire run of the show is pointless if the ultimate goal is meeting the wife. You have 9 years of meaningless story given to his two kids only to culminate in meeting someone we have zero emotional ties to? I've never understood the appeal of that payoff, it makes no sense from a storytelling perspective.

The show began with Ted & Robin and their courtship culminates at her and Barney's wedding when they both realize it. Problem is, do previous clues still line up? They could easily adopt kids. No problem there. Could Robin have been living with Bilson's character for a short period? Have we ever seen Robin's place? Where was that in the timeline? Could Robin have been at the train station? The band member at Robin & Barney's wedding bit doesn't fit at all though, unless Robin picks up a guitar for some silly bit. Yes, this also means that the kids have an aunt with the same name as their mother. Unusual but not unheard of (my wife and SiL share the same name).

... or it's Occam's razor at play and the writers are simply yanking the viewers chain once again.
They said it was Cindy's roommate. It is not Robin. Which is why all this bullshit back and forth is completely stupid and frustrating.

Meet the mother next week. Spend the final season leading up to their wedding. That's a wrap.
Old 05-07-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Next week's episode summary:

Spoiler:
Sounds like we don't even get to the wedding next week, and it will have to wait until next season to meet the mother. If they continue with the titles of episodes borrowed and blue, it could take a while.

"Something New: As the gang gets ready to head to Robin and Barney's wedding, Ted asks Lily to see the final pieces of work that Ted has put into the house; Robin and Barney's night of relaxation gets ruined by an annoying couple; Marshall takes Marvin to Minnesota."
Old 05-07-13, 09:51 AM

The last two episodes of How I Met Your Mother’s eighth season may be titled “Something Old” (airing May 6 and featuring the return of Robin’s dad, played by Ray Wise) and “Something New” (May 13), but don’t assume that means we’ll finally see the long-anticipated nuptials of Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders). “I don’t want to necessarily promise the wedding,” executive producer Carter Bays says. “It’s more complex than that.”

The finale takes place during the week leading up to the scheduled wedding: Barney and Robin connect in a sweet way; Marshall takes his first trip with baby Marvin to see Grandma in Minnesota; Lily gets offered a new job; and Ted makes a big decision that “will end the series as we know it,” Bays says. “We’re going to be taking some surprising risks with time. The finale is almost like a pilot for the new series that the ninth [and final] season becomes.”
Can they drag this shit on anymore...???

I don't understand... there have been writers that have said they DO get married and the wedding is epic. Are they only going to show part of it again and the rest next year?
Old 05-07-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the Ted and Robin stuff will lead to anything. It's just more fill in the gap nonsense from the writers.

None of the previous clues fit into what we know about the mother and what we've come to know about Robin.

Yes, the kids could be adopted but all the times Ted has spoken about their Aunt Robin and talked about Robin directly make it not fit at all. You can go back to the pilot and see that but you can also see it best in the episode where we find out Robin can't have children.

The mother was living with Bilson while Ted was dating her. We know that much. So the idea that Robin was living there and Ted had no idea that it was Robin's apartment and that Ted didn't know Robin's roommate is silly.

Also, the mother was in the economics class that Ted thought was the architecture class. Again, would make no sense if it were Robin.

I'm sure the writers can find a way to make Robin fit into all of this but it would be incredibly unsatisfying because they would have to essentially admit that they were yanking us around with all the clues they put in throughout the series.
Old 05-07-13, 11:07 AM

yeah... i think it's established that Robin's not the mother.

But the way things are going, Im not sure the wedding happens in the finale (or at all). If anything, Im guessing the damn writers will drag on the Ted/Robin thing for next season, all the while the real mother will start figuring into Ted's life.
Also thinking the Ted/Robin thing will cause a divide between him and Barney, which is why we never see Barney highlighted in the 'future' clips
Old 05-07-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think they absolutely could get clever with flashbacks on a lot of those little things. Robin in the economics class? She was bringing Ted lunch or something. Robin standing on the train platform? Sure, why not? Walking past Ted in the rain with a yellow umbrella? Easy. I'm just a firm believer in there being an emotional payoff to this 9 year journey and introducing someone new in the "final hour" seems cheap. I'd at least prefer it be someone we have met before.

The toughest has to be the Bilson roommate situation. Again, have we ever been to Robin's apartment? I'd assume as real human beings, the gang has all been there at some point but as characters in a show, who knows?

It's a stretch, but this Ted/Robin yanking us around serves no purpose and is worse, IMO. i.e. I'm trying to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Old 05-07-13, 11:17 AM

so Robin was playing at her own wedding?

Also, and I could very well of been imagining this, but wasnt the mother blonde? I think the episode where the mother was first introduced (when Ted was back at Bilson's place) we saw the hair also?
Old 05-07-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

do the kids 'mother' have to be the same person as Ted's wife?

what if Ted ends up Robin and the kids mother is a friend of theirs that dies and leaves the kids to them. Or is a surrogate so Ted and Robin can have kids.

i hope its none of these
Old 05-07-13, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just a firm believer in there being an emotional payoff to this 9 year journey and introducing someone new in the "final hour" seems cheap. I'd at least prefer it be someone we have met before.
I'm with you on that, Michael Corvin. I would like that better, but I don't think that's what we are going to get.
Old 05-07-13, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps Ted gets into the idea of polygamy and marries the mother and takes Robin as his plural wife. The bit referenced above about it being almost like a pilot for a new series in the ninth season is the wacky and hilarious situations for Ted, the kids and the two mothers.

Old 05-07-13, 11:41 AM

I think they absolutely could get clever with flashbacks on a lot of those little things. Robin in the economics class? She was bringing Ted lunch or something. Robin standing on the train platform? Sure, why not? Walking past Ted in the rain with a yellow umbrella? Easy. I'm just a firm believer in there being an emotional payoff to this 9 year journey and introducing someone new in the "final hour" seems cheap. I'd at least prefer it be someone we have met before.

The toughest has to be the Bilson roommate situation. Again, have we ever been to Robin's apartment? I'd assume as real human beings, the gang has all been there at some point but as characters in a show, who knows?

It's a stretch, but this Ted/Robin yanking us around serves no purpose and is worse, IMO. i.e. I'm trying to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this one.
It is not Robin. It will never be Robin.

On the Season Six DVD set, there is a special feature called "What we know about your mother". In it, Future Ted lists that:
1.She's not Robin.
2.She's not Victoria.
3.She was almost Stella.
4.She was Cindy's roommate.
5.She has a yellow umbrella...that I stole.
6.She was in what I thought was my architecture class.
7.She thought I was a complete idiot.
8.She's considered weird by some.
9.She was never going to be Zoey. That was just doomed.
10.I met her on the day of a wedding.
Old 05-07-13, 12:44 PM

Come to think of it... Based on the 'Time Travelers' episode, the mother is currently dating some wallstreet guy and living in another apartment (unless they make the wallstreet guy Barney)

Also, Ted basically says that he will meet her for the first time in 45 days

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.