Reload this Page >

Parks and Recreation - "Are You Better Off?" - Season Finale - 5/2/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-02-13, 05:11 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Season 5, Episode 22
Episode Synopsis: Season 5 ends with Leslie celebrating her first year as a city councilwoman; and Andy calling his alter ego, FBI agent Burt Macklin, out of retirement to help with an investigation. Elsewhere, April receives life-changing news; and Tom considers a big business opportunity. Original Air Date: May 2, 2013
Old 05-02-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Parks and Recreation - "Are You Better Off?" - Season Finale - 5/2/13

Andy should have named his case "The ImMacklin Conception". Missed chance!
Old 05-02-13, 08:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Our Goo. ROFL. Dying laughing...
Old 05-03-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Uhhh, nobody cares Gerry.
I miss you guys. *smiles*

Andy's face at the end was fucking awesome! God I love this show. Please, please never go away.
Old 05-03-13, 10:09 AM

EW spoke with series co-creator/exec producer Michael Schur.

• First off: Is Diane (Lucy Lawless) really pregnant, or did the episode purposely leave the weensiest bit of wiggle room at the end by not showing her delivering any news ?
Nope. Stop overanalyzing it. “There’s no ambiguity — she is indeed pregnant,” says Schur.

•Does this mean that Diane will play a big role in next season?
Schur cautions that it’s challenging to schedule guest spots for Lawless, who lives in New Zealand. “I think she really likes doing the show and we love having her, and obviously we would love to have her around as much as possible, but she’s also always in demand for everything,” he explains. “She’s going to be the mother of Ron’s child so she’s not going to suddenly disappear. And we don’t know exactly when we’ll be able to use her but we foresee at least trying to use her a lot next year… The most interesting thing about it is how it affects Ron (Nick Offerman). It’s his life that we’ve been following for five years, so that story can play out in a lot of different areas of his life. He’s going to go through a significant transformation as he prepares to do this gigantic thing, which is to become a biological father. That’s obviously going to be a big part of the year for his character, and it won’t only be in the ‘I have to read some baby books and figure out how to change diapers’ kind of way.”

• How did the writers settle on Diane and Ron as the pregnant couple? Were other options considered?
The story line was born out of discussions surrounding Ann’s (Rashida Jones) mission to have a baby. “We realized that there’s nothing really surprising about telling the story of a person who wants to get pregnant for 10 episodes and then at the end of the year they’re pregnant,” says Schur. “So it seemed funnier to have her go through her trials and tribulations and try all these different things and decide it’s going to be Chris and have them plan, and then have someone else get pregnant…. We explored all the different possibilities. We talked about it being Leslie (Amy Poehler), obviously — that would be the first idea. That’s something we want to do on the show someday but it is so disruptive to have the main character on your show get pregnant and have to be pregnant for an entire year. And Amy in real life has been pregnant for, like, 98 percent of the time when we were shooting the show, and I think if we told her she was going to have to pretend she was pregnant next year, she would murder me. So then we thought about Donna (Rhetta) just because it seemed funny and it would be mysterious about who the dad is. Then we talked about April and Andy, which seemed really fun. But at the end of the day we thought: We have this other relationship that’s been in the background of the entire season and having it be Ron would be really fun and unexpected…. It’s a big change for him and it furthers the arc of him having to make a little bit of room in his life for a woman that he cares about and her two kids, which was a big theme of the year for him. Once we decided that, it was just a question of setting everything up. We did an episode where Leslie suddenly saw Jerry’s life and was like, ‘Maybe I want more than just work in my life.’ We had Tom (Aziz Ansari) have this crazy relationship with Mona-Lisa (Jenny Slate) and that seemed like it could be a legitimate unplanned disaster that would befall them. So, slowly over the last five or six episodes, we set it up so that anyone seemed like a legitimate possibility. From there, it was just a case of trying to build the best mystery we possibly could with the most misleads and crazy left turns.”

• Will the Committee to Recall Leslie Knope get its wish when the show returns?
Schur promises that this recall movement will prove a “big part” of the beginning of season 6 and that her seat on the City Council will be in “real jeopardy.” The idea for this plot was hatched as the writers reflected on Leslie’s first (and colorful) year on the City Council, and talked about how the number of recalls at every level of government had increased over the last decade. “She was incredibly active, she was very aggressive in the way she pursued her agenda in everything from the soda tax to the comprehensive sex education,” explains Schur. “She butted heads with people a lot, not just citizens but also other City Council members. And that kind of person — even in a local government in a mildly sleepy town in Indiana — draws fire these days. So it was a very organic decision in that way to say that she probably attracted a lot of attention from people who wouldn’t like the fact that she was being this aggressive, and the fact is they would do something like recall her.”

• Will April attend veterinarian school in Bloomington next season?
Maybe. Or maybe not. But simply the act of taking initiative and applying to school was another milestone for April in her year of growth. “We’re going to have some decisions to make next year whether she goes right away, or if she defers, or she commutes or she moves to Bloomington,” says Schur. “We don’t know exactly what we’re going to do with that but we wanted to create an interesting dilemma for her that came out of her newfound desire to be more active in her life and not just kind of sit around and read magazines, bored all the time.” This much he will guarantee, though: “We won’t come back next year and have her be like, ‘Yeah, I decided not to go.’ It’ll play a role in some kind of larger story, or a set of decisions that she and Andy have to make together about their future.”

• Will retiree-turned-intern Jerry (Jim O’Heir) be a significant part of next season?
Plan on hearing plenty of Dammit, Jerry!‘s in future episodes. “We’ve got a few different ideas for how to handle the situation,” says Schur. “We haven’t picked one yet but Jim isn’t going anywhere. One way or the other his presence will be felt in a very significant and pretty constant way.”

• Will Pratt have a reduced role in season 6 given that he’ll be filming Guardians of the Galaxy?
FBI super agent Burt Macklin just might have to semi-re-retire after unretir—in short, viewers will see a little less of Pratt next season. “There are going to be some episodes in the first half of the year that he’s not in, but we’ve been working with the Marvel people as best we can to make everybody happy,” says Schur. “He’ll be in the beginning of the season and then he’ll disappear and then he’ll come back and then he’ll disappear. Hopefully we’ll be able to figure something out where no one will notice. But the reality is there will be at least a couple episodes next year where he doesn’t appear.”

• Who is the mystery man that made the offer to buy Rent-A-Swag and is now planning on opening a rival store?
Schur’s lips are sealed tighter than Ben’s hands around a Game of Thrones DVD set. ”We have an idea of who the mystery buyer is, and will reveal that next season,” he responds. “It will be a big arc for Tom in Season 6.”

• Speaking of season 6, there is going to be one, right?
While there’s no official word from NBC, signs and buzz point to a return visit to Pawnee. “I’ve been cautiously optimistic for five straight years, that’s not going to change,” says Schur. “I fully believe that we will be back next year, but until they actually make that phone call, I never like to say it’s a sure thing.”
Old 05-03-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I had no idea this was the finale until this thread. How can 22 episodes go that quickly? Can't wait to see Ron as a father.
Old 05-03-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst part for me was realizing that the episode was the season finale. Damn.
Old 05-03-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Normally I hate introducing pregnancies/babies to sitcoms but Ron Swanson as a dad has some amazing potential.

They could (and will probably strongly consider) doing a Ron as a dad spin off if next season is the last.
Old 05-03-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Burt Macklin, you son of a bitch! How is this show still so good? How do I love a character so much who pulls a Bloomberg soda move when I hate that guy? I can't believe we are 5 seasons in, and the wheels haven't come off. I want to go back and watch from the beginning, and just see how much the show has changed, and for the better.

By the way, reading that interview it makes it easy to see why this show is so good. When he describes why they have made certain decisions I love the thought process shown. This is what a show with great direction is capable of.
Old 05-03-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Having the finale on May 2 is too early or maybe don't have the hour specials they had maybe twice this season.

I assume NBC probably wants to schedule more episodes of the Voice to fill the slot?

I wonder who is the big name they will probably get to compete with Tom and Rent a Swag.

"Together, as a town, we lost an amount of weight equal to 800 pregnant manatees."

Old 05-05-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Didn't know this was the finale.

I started to get bored with the characters this season. Same thing happened with Modern Family. But I think it finished quite strong.

"I saw the first 90 seconds. It was great".

I also find the obnoxious brother/sister funny.

With NBC's other good Thursday shows gone, this is the one to keep watching. And it'll be interesting to see what they bring in next years. NBC Thursday nights (Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, The Office, Community) is the only TV I *really* pay attention to.
Old 05-05-13, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Didn't know this was the finale.

I started to get bored with the characters this season. Same thing happened with Modern Family. But I think it finished quite strong.

"I saw the first 90 seconds. It was great".

I also find the obnoxious brother/sister funny.

With NBC's other good Thursday shows gone, this is the one to keep watching. And it'll be interesting to see what they bring in next years. NBC Thursday nights (Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, The Office, Community) is the only TV I *really* pay attention to.
Brother/sister? I thought they were a couple that's very much in denial.
Old 05-09-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

According to Alan Sepinwall on Hitfix.com, this was renewed for a 6th season.

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...n-for-season-6
Old 05-09-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
According to Alan Sepinwall on Hitfix.com, this was renewed for a 6th season.

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...n-for-season-6
pretty much a guarantee based on them losing the office, but still deserves a
Old 05-09-13, 03:48 PM

It's official. Awesome
Old 05-09-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Yes! Thank you!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dv1kApvEPiY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-11-13, 03:50 PM

Kristen Bell is Pawnee-bound.

The Veronica Mars/House of Lies actress will guest star in a Season 6 episode of Parks and Recreation as a snooty City Councilwoman from neighboring Eagleton, EW.com reports.

“She’s Leslie’s equivalent, but richer and better dressed,” exec producer Mike Schur tells the site.

Bell, whose stint on the show will reunite her with former Party Down co-star Adam Scott, will shoot the ep after she finishes work on the Veronica Mars feature film.

Parks kicks off its sixth season on Sept. 26. Bell’s episode is slated to air in October.
Old 07-11-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

that's a pretty good casting choice.
Old 07-11-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
that's a pretty good casting choice.
Yep I can definitely see her as a snooty bitch Eagletonian.
Old 07-11-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Wonder if there'll be a "House of Lies" reunion by her sharing screen-time with Jean-Ralphio.
Old 07-24-13, 02:08 PM

Brilliant...

Henry Winkler, best known for playing “The Fonz” on Happy Days, is slated for a guest appearance on the NBC comedy’s Season 6 premiere, per The Hollywood Reporter. Winkler will play Jean-Ralphio’s father, who will potentially return in future episodes.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...winkler-591014
Old 07-24-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kristen Bell and Henry Winkler?!?!?!? Sweeeeeeeeet!
Old 07-27-13, 01:41 PM

Add Sam Elliott to the guest list as well:

http://tvline.com/2013/07/27/parks-a...t-ron-swanson/
Old 07-27-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Outside of Chris Pratt missing for a bunch of episodes, this season looks like it is shaping up to be awesome.
Old 07-29-13, 07:59 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

And the parts they've cast Bell and Elliott for are absolutely brilliant:

Spoiler:
Just as Bell will be the Eagleton counterpart to Leslie Knope, Elliott will be Eagleton's answer to Ron Swanson

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.