Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Americans -- "The Colonel" -- 5/1/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
SEASON FINALE - Episode 13 - "The Colonel" (Airs May 1, 10:00 pm e/p) - When Philip and Elizabeth are ordered to go through with a meeting that could potentially be a set-up, they find themselves confronted with unexpected truths about their relationship. Stan's investigation puts him and the FBI even closer to Philip and Elizabeth. Written by Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg; directed by Adam Arkin.
Old 05-01-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "The Colonel" -- 5/1/13

Bootsy forgot to note it in thread title, but tonight is the season finale.
Old 05-01-13, 02:19 PM
Banned

If the mods would allow me to update it I will. If not it is in the spoiler at least.
Old 05-01-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite new show. I will try to take a nap this afternoon, to watch this "live" tonight.

I can't wait!

Oh! I was watching Revolution last night, and one girl in a flashback looked like Nina to me at first. Then they showed her again and nothing at all , I think I'm seeing Ninas everywhere.
Old 05-01-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
My favorite new show. I will try to take a nap this afternoon, to watch this "live" tonight.

I can't wait!

Oh! I was watching Revolution last night, and one girl in a flashback looked like Nina to me at first. Then they showed her again and nothing at all , I think I'm seeing Ninas everywhere.
I would like to see Ninas everywhere.
Old 05-01-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn it! I don't want the season to end.
Old 05-01-13, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shady12
I would like to see Ninas everywhere.
I would like to see and hear Ninas everywhere.
Old 05-01-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Now that was a great finale... I can't wait for season 2. Also, can't wait to see season 1 again on BD.

Fantastic acting, story and pace... absolutely loved it.

Oh, and yes... more Nina in season 2. =)
Old 05-01-13, 10:56 PM
Banned

That was awesome. That's how season finales are supposed to be. Leave you hanging, leave you wanting more but yet just enough to satisfy you. It does appear Claudia will not be back.

Spoiler:
The way she offed that Patterson as revenge for Zhukov was lethal

I'm wondering when Stan will figure it out about Phillip and Elizabeth.The clues just seem to be there for him and he just hasn't seen it yet.

Anyway very good show so far and can't wait for season 2.
Old 05-01-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the same thing about the clues, but they are hiding in plain sight. It might not occur to stan, because he assumes he would just know/spot russian sleeper agents, not have them over for dinner.
Old 05-02-13, 12:29 AM

Margo Martindale is so awesome. Stop just giving her single seasons on shows, network TV people. Hopefully she'll be back for next season, somehow.

I got over my misunderstanding about what this show was supposed to be about and ended up really enjoying. Favorite new show this year!
Old 05-02-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
That was awesome. That's how season finales are supposed to be. Leave you hanging, leave you wanting more but yet just enough to satisfy you. It does appear Claudia will not be back.

Spoiler:
The way she offed that Patterson as revenge for Zhukov was lethal
I didn't see exactly what she did. She hit him with the stunner, then was preparing some kind of injection, then he starts bleeding all over....?
Old 05-02-13, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The injection made him immobile for 20 mins, she told him he'd die in 10. She cut his jugular.
Old 05-02-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fandango
The injection made him immobile for 20 mins, she told him he'd die in 10. She cut his jugular.
Yeah. It seems they cut the scene short. I could have spent 10 minutes listening to her while watching the poor guy die.

And of course agree with everyone, wonderful finale.

One of the best things about the show, IMO, is that the secondary characters had time to grow on you. Claudia for example, she could be someone that you don't care about, and at the finale it seems I'm not the only one wanting to see more of her.

Same with Nina, I know the actress is attractive, they could have easily barely write her character, but now you want to know what will she do next season.

And not that secondary, but Stan has been masterfully created. I'm actually intrigued by the notion that he may be converted. Right now that seems impossible, but if they keep the same quality writers, I'm sure they can deliver on that, and make it credible.

I know that if I think really hard I can find an issue, minor?, with the show, but so far to me it has been perfect.
Old 05-02-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually thought that was very anti-climatic and rather weak for a finale. Maybe that's just cause the season was so strong. Either way, I'm in for S2.
Old 05-02-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt like the first 10 or 15 minutes of the finale was setting me up for a bit of a fizzle, but damn was I wrong! The way the story unfolded with both halves having only the information they had and Directorate S sort of out-thinking themselves and simultaneously over and under-maneuvering was great. It was really impactful how important communication is and the lack of technology in the era to facilitate it.

I just can't believe this and Justified are gone for the better part of a year now.
Old 05-02-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
Yeah, but that would have been his carotid back there. Same difference.

Glad they showed last week too last night, as I had missed it. So I got the last two weeks in one sitting. The show keeps getting better.
Old 05-02-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Brilliantly done. I liked Philip trying to take the tough assignment and inadvertantly sending Elizabeth into it. The very ending was well done too--with the daughter getting suspicous, but without them having her actually pull away the washer/finding something obvious. Just a genius show very well executed & acted. I too sure hope they bring back Claudia.
Old 05-02-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any chance Nina was wrong about Stan being turned?

His marriage is likely over, Nina isn't getting her exfil. Stan/Nina will surely be getting even closer in season 2. Maybe the KGB can make it look like Amador's death was an inside job. Nina knows that will push Stan's buttons. Maybe something happens to Nina, too.

I don't think the talk about trying to get him to flip was thrown out there for no reason.
Old 05-02-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
And not that secondary, but Stan has been masterfully created. I'm actually intrigued by the notion that he may be converted. Right now that seems impossible, but if they keep the same quality writers, I'm sure they can deliver on that, and make it credible..
It could be as simple as her telling him, or him figuring out what she's doing..and him not wanting to kill her or report her..and eventually just choosing her over his country and the Russians make him a deal where eventually they'll get both he and Nina out to live out their days together happily in lovely Moscow.
Old 05-02-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
The very ending was well done too--with the daughter getting suspicous, but without them having her actually pull away the washer/finding something obvious.
Yeah, she was looking at the folded laundry at first, but then I was wondering if we were supposed to see her seeing something. But I watched it twice and figured it was supposed to be ambiguous.

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Any chance Nina was wrong about Stan being turned?

His marriage is likely over, Nina isn't getting her exfil. Stan/Nina will surely be getting even closer in season 2. Maybe the KGB can make it look like Amador's death was an inside job. Nina knows that will push Stan's buttons. Maybe something happens to Nina, too.

I don't think the talk about trying to get him to flip was thrown out there for no reason.
It certainly was an intriguing thought that hadn't occurred to me before. I'm sure Nina could convince me to do things I didn't want to do.
Old 05-02-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if this is spoiler material or not, but
Spoiler:
Sandra Beeman is listed as a recurring character this season and a regular in season 2.

My speculation: Stan/Sandra separate, Philip/Elizabeth reconcile. Philip moves back in, Stan moves out. Not having an FBI agent next door gives the Jennings a false sense of security. Sandra starts to notice something may be not what they seem, but doesn't tell Stan. By the time Sandra realizes that her doubts are worth enough to tell Stan, Stan has already flipped.
Old 05-02-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It was a good finale, marred only by the improbability of the couple successfully escaping the FBI trap. I don't think there is any way Stan would turn to the other side, that is just bait for the viewer to ponder.
Old 05-02-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally a well done show, looking forward to next season
Old 05-02-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
Brilliantly done. I liked Philip trying to take the tough assignment and inadvertantly sending Elizabeth into it. The very ending was well done too--with the daughter getting suspicous, but without them having her actually pull away the washer/finding something obvious. Just a genius show very well executed & acted. I too sure hope they bring back Claudia.
I agree. It was the perfect way to leave it....dangling. A truly excellent season finale and cliffhanger. Things can go any number of ways from here.

And I pray that Margo is back for S2. Her stints on Justified and this have been perhaps the 2 best supporting roles in TV dramas the last few years. Such a powerful presence - from someone you wouldn't expect.

We'll see where Mad Men goes (and I'm behind on Breaking Bad - only now catching up on DVD), but this was the best drama to date of this season to me. It beats anything on the premium cablenets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.