Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wish I Was Here -- new Zach Braff movie on Kickstarter

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869987317/wish-i-was-here-1/widget/video.html" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

Originally Posted by Zach Braff
I was about to sign a typical financing deal in order to get the money to make "Wish I Was Here," my follow up to “Garden State.” It would have involved making a lot of sacrifices I think would have ultimately hurt the film. I’ve been a backer for several projects on Kickstarter and thought the concept was fascinating and revolutionary for artists and innovators of all kinds. But I didn't imagine it could work on larger-scale projects. I was wrong.

After I saw the incredible way “Veronica Mars” fans rallied around Kristen Bell and her show’s creator Rob Thomas, I couldn’t help but think (like I'm sure so many other independent filmmakers did) maybe there is a new way to finance smaller, personal films that didn’t involve signing away all your artistic control.

Financing an independent film the traditional way often means having to give away your right to “the final cut,” casting choices, location choices and cutting down your script to make it shoot-able on the cheapest budget possible.

What if there is a different way?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ere-1?ref=live
Old 04-24-13, 08:45 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Wish I Was Here -- new Zach Braff movie on Kickstarter

I don't know what level to give...

My big thing with the VM Kickstarter was that I was getting a DVD... you don't get that with this. They explain why and I get it. I'm tempted to do $100 for a screening in NYC, but its not until approx. Sept. 2014 and who knows what day.

Crazy that the London screenings are selling the quickest.
Old 04-24-13, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Crazy that the London screenings are selling the quickest.
Probably because of the time difference. People in the US are still waking up.
Old 04-24-13, 08:48 AM

True...he did post this in the middle of the night.
Old 04-24-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That video is awesome. I love Garden State and will probably donate but I'm not sure what level to go with...if he had a Toronto screening, it would have been a no-brainer for me.
Old 04-24-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That 100$ screening is pretty solid value. I am sure that 10k will also be grabbed quick.
Old 04-24-13, 09:16 AM

Well... I put the $100 down for the NYC screening. I may change my mind about it though and save the $60 bucks, plus the $20 train ride to the city and just watch it at home on my computer.
Old 04-24-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Well... I put the $100 down for the NYC screening. I may change my mind about it though and save the $60 bucks, plus the $20 train ride to the city and just watch it at home on my computer.
Always good to lock into a limited tier reward, you can always change your mind later.
Old 04-24-13, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Always good to lock into a limited tier reward, you can always change your mind later.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 04-24-13, 10:41 AM

I've seen a lot of negative comments on articles about this saying with a net worth of $22 million, why isn't he funding this himself? Or why not do a Hollywood paycheck movie, then fund it yourself. One for them, one for me. I do feel like this is an entirely different scenario than Veronica Mars... What is everyone's thoughts on this production? Do you feel you're getting your moneys worth? If you kicked in, how much? Are we being taken advantage of?
Old 04-24-13, 10:47 AM

I'm going in at the $5000 level, and the text for that reward specifically states that I *will* be taken advantage of!
Old 04-24-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Or he can do it this way, and if it succeeds it succeeds, if not oh well. I don't know why people hold crowd funding in some big regard, if people feel like funding this way LET THEM, if not then he won't hit $2m.
Old 04-24-13, 11:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel like the amount of money he gets should affect what the movie is like.

Basic funding goal: Exactly what you'd expect as a follow-up to Garden State
Double funding goal: Protagonist isn't generic sad sack
Triple funding goal: No Manic Pixie Dream Girl
Quadruple funding goal: Will attempt to actually make a good movie
Old 04-24-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn, the $10,000 one is gone, to have a line and credit in the film.
Old 04-24-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Donated $10 just because the pitch video made me laugh. Looks like he will hit his goal. Good for him.
Old 04-24-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm surprised Zach Braff has much trouble working things out.

Final cut is overrated. If you're clear, open and upfront about what is being made, it shouldn't really be a problem. You can have cold feet going in, and can be concerned about it. But I don't think it's a real risk. Unless you're trying to fool the guys putting up the money.

The financiers he's talking about are hyperboles.
Old 04-24-13, 11:59 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

What a cheapskate!
Old 04-24-13, 12:01 PM
Banned

I'd pay Braff $100 never to make another film again.
Old 04-24-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Damn, the $10,000 one is gone, to have a line and credit in the film.
I'm guessing it is the dracogen guy.
Old 04-24-13, 12:41 PM

So I know he said they will get a bigger theatre for screenings...but for New York... they now have 500 single tickets and 330 pairs totally 1160. That sounds like a huge screening... I dont think I've ever seen a film even at something like NYFF with that many? Where would they hold this? I don't think I'm interested in something THAT big... I may drop down to the $40 range.

Last edited by dex14; 04-24-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I'd pay Braff $100 never to make another film again.
This.

To quote Mr. Plinkett: "If cancer were pretentious, it would be Garden State."
Old 04-24-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Man I hope you guys never watch a Noah Baumbach flick.
Old 04-24-13, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
Man I hope you guys never watch a Noah Baumbach flick.
I've watched them all. Baumbach, unlike Braff, actually has some talent.
Old 04-24-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not using the subjunctive mood in the title makes it a no-go for me

On a related note, I contributed to the Alex Cox Bill the Galactic Hero project, which looks to be a yes-go
Old 04-24-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...starter/64551/

Spoiler:

We are truly living in a new era. A little over a month after the Veronica Mars movie crowdfunded its way to a green light, we have become firmly ensconced in a time when even the rich and famous can hold out their hats and ask the fine people of the Internet to finance their projects. Today marks another momentous milestone: Zach Braff, the man who gave squishy indie voice to the year 2004 with his movie Garden State, has created a Kickstarter campaign looking for $2,000,000 to fund a new movie called Wish I Was Here. It has, as of this posting, raised close to $775,000 in a little over nine hours. So this is happening. Zach Braff, man of Scrubs-financed leisure, has reached out to the masses and the masses have reached back, digital cash in hand, and said, "Go make this crazy thing." So what does that all mean?

Well, I don't want another Veronica Mars Kickstarter controversy on my hands. When I wrote that post last month, the backlash was loud and intense, fans of the show and supporters of Kickstarter's mission coming at me in droves in the comments and on Twitter to point out the various ways that I was wrong, stupid, and bad at my job. I will readily confess to not particularly considering the details of the whole operation when writing the gentle rant, but one point I won't really concede. I still find it strange and, yes, a bit distasteful that these rich and successful Hollywood people are asking people for, at times, thousands of dollars for a product that in no way yet exists. Yes, yes, I understand that the people sending the money don't mind, that they're perfectly willing to pay what they can in order to help something get made by someone they love. I realize of course that those people are free to do with their money what they please. Plus, yes, they are getting various gifts in return — copies of the movie, T-shirts, set visits, whatever. So there is an exchange, it's not unilateral. I get that.

But something about what this implies for the future still vaguely unsettles me. There's the unseemliness, yes, of rich celebrities asking random people for thousands of dollars and offering them no accountability for money spent or share in the profits, before anything has really been seen. (A Broadway ticket buyer who pays sometimes $200 for a ticket, for example, at least can read a review or see B-roll or something.) But there's also the sense that we as the audience are setting ourselves up for potential grand disappointment. What happens to all those loyal Veronica Mars fans if the movie comes out and it totally sucks? (TV shows made into movies tend to suck, guys. Face it.) Or, y'know, if something happens and production has to shut down? In "normal" cases the people who lose money are investors who assumed the risk with the possibility of profitable gain in the end. It's professional. But in this case it's just fans, people zapping their money over the Internet and hoping that what comes out a year later is worth it, something that can make them happy and give them some time with actors, musicians, whomever that they love. What if it all goes wrong?

Maybe that's concern trolling. I don't know. Maybe what I really want to say is that it just downright seems crazy to me to pay so much for something that doesn't exist just because some celebrity asked me to. That might be the hard fact of it. But I'm trying to adapt to this new world and so am attempting to ask a more delicate question. At least in Veronica Mars's case we know the cast and the writer and the director and, y'know, the characters and the vague world they live in. But with Braff's project it's all pretty vague. It will be in the same tone of Garden State, and really all we know are some sketchy plot details — a struggling actor and family man looks for "a purpose for his life." Is that enough? Clearly, judging by the campaign's day-one success, it is for many people. But I'd be curious to talk to lots of those people after the movie comes out. Was it worth it? I guess there's only one way to find out. And maybe that's what these early Kickstarter movies have created, a strange waiting game. Maybe there is an assumed risk, it's just more emotional than it is financial. The rewards could be great — "Hey, I made that happen!" — or the results could prove embittering. But whatever the case, people were willing to give it a go and try for something good. There's probably some value in that.

And, hey, the world isn't changing that drastically. I mean, not every celebrity is a crowdfunding phenom. I guess there are always going to be the Bjorks and the Amanda Palmers, the Melissa Joan Harts and the Zach Braffs. Not everyone can mobilize a fanbase. So I suppose there is some natural selection going on here, the system functioning at the whims of the consumer mass. Meaning, maybe I shouldn't worry that this whole system could get really co-opted by cynical players. The people decide, and that's just that. And whereas right now I can't imagine myself paying much more than what I'd pay at a movie theater or on iTunes for a movie or an album, maybe that will change. I mean, what if they wanted to do a Buffy movie?? Or Joni Mitchell and James Taylor wanted to make a duets album together? Maybe my problem is that my particular passions have yet to be stoked. Or maybe I'm just more afraid of disappointment than other people. Whatever it is, I still think these crowdfunders are crazy. But that doesn't mean they're not right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.