Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

24 hour movie marathon at the Grand Cinema

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The grand cinema is a art house non profit theater that is trying to raise funds to go digital.

Anyways they agree having a movie marathon this up coming weekend. The grand is located in Tacoma Washington

http://www.grandcinema.com/page.php?id=247

Old 04-14-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: 24 hour movie marathon at the Grand Cinema

$100 seems a bit steep. Maybe if they let you bring your own food.
Old 04-14-13, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100 bucks for all that? Sounds worth it just cuz of the quantity.
Old 04-14-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's just assume 12 movies in a 24 hour period, so over $8 a movie. Not that great of a deal...
Old 04-14-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it's also for a good cause...
Old 04-14-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Let's just assume 12 movies in a 24 hour period, so over $8 a movie. Not that great of a deal...
It's all the movies listed, so it's 20 movies, also its transferable during the 24 hours
Old 04-14-13, 10:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Well it's also for a good cause...
so are these movies in 35mm ... ??

here in DC, the Avalon Theater is presenting a screening of 'Side by Side' (the doc about director's shooting with digital cameras) followed by a post film Q&A with Washington Post film review Ann Hornaday to fund the theater's transition to digital projection.
Old 04-14-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sigh. I wish that they wouldn't be trying to go digital, but of course they probably won't survive if they don't. Our generation probably won't get much chance to see film projected.
Old 04-15-13, 12:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I love repertory houses, and I suffered the loss of my local rep house last year, but I have to wonder if they are worth saving when the prints available to them are so limited. Every rep house in the country plays a revolving program of the same classics, many of which are highlighted on that poster. Monty Python, Some Like it Hot, Treasure of Sierra Madre, Cabaret, Blazing Saddles, it got so old I stopped going years ago.

The studios don't make enough titles available and audiences have very limited tastes, even audiences for reportory screenings. That's what's killing rep houses, not the conversion to digital.
Old 04-15-13, 12:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I love repertory houses, and I suffered the loss of my local rep house last year, but I have to wonder if they are worth saving when the prints available to them are so limited. Every rep house in the country plays a revolving program of the same classics, many of which are highlighted on that poster. Monty Python, Some Like it Hot, Treasure of Sierra Madre, Cabaret, Blazing Saddles, it got so old I stopped going years ago.

The studios don't make enough titles available and audiences have very limited tastes, even audiences for reportory screenings. That's what's killing rep houses, not the conversion to digital.
now don't be slamming 'A Man Named Pearl' - now that's a really deserving 'little seen' movie.

'Hands on a Hard Body' sounds kind of pervy...
Old 04-15-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

You're close; studios aren't providing prints of enough titles; they're switching to digital copies of even older titles.

Here's a pretty in-depth article. I'll provide some choice quotes:
http://www.laweekly.com/2012-04-12/f...ollywood/full/
Already there are films [Hadrian Belove of Cinefamily] couldn't show for lack of a DCP-compliant projector. He couldn't get a print of A New Leaf from Paramount for an Elaine May retrospective he wanted to do. Ditto for Saul Bass' Phase IV for a Bass retrospective, and Andrzej Zulawski's The Important Thing Is to Love for a Zulawski retrospective. Studio Canal in France would supply only a DCP.

...Instead of a 35mm print, the studio offered Belove either a DCP or a DVD of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Studios are forcing art theater's hands by making prints scarce.

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012...eater-owners/2
“We have a film appreciation class, and this year we can’t find prints,” said Long. “Paramount has quite a library and we sent them a list. All of the films we asked for were a 3 or 3.5 [4 being the worst quality]. They were scratched or broken, just a mess. Each year has gotten worse and worse. Next year, it won’t be a film series.”
Old 04-15-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, that's probably pretty accurate too. Theaters have to sustain themselves, after all. In spite of what a contingent of film fans like us may say, the overwhelming majority probably just won't offer the kind of support for this kind of thing because the interest level is just too small. Maybe it is partially a problem of which prints they can acquire, but you're probably right in that it has more to do with the finickiness of the audiences.