Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

IMAX's Next-Generation Laser Technology

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 05:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Somehow missed this news, but knew it was happening - and it's the first museum news regarding the installation/conversion to IMAX Digital via Kodak and Barco's new technology involving lasers. I've yet to hear if in the new setup the full 4:3 AR screen is retained, but my fingers are crossed that this aspect has not dictated diminishing the screens to 1.78 Oh and maybe finally, Udvar Hazy will now be able to present IMAX features in 3D.

IMAX Launches Institutional Upgrade Initiative; Signs Agreement with Smithsonian for Next-Generation Laser Technology

IMAX Launches Institutional Upgrade Initiative; Signs Agreement with Smithsonian for Next-Generation Laser Technology

Smithsonian’s Three IMAX® Theatres to be Capable of Showing Full Spectrum of IMAX Content

January 15, 2013

IMAX Corporation (NYSE:IMAX; TSX:IMX) and the Smithsonian Institution today announced an agreement to install IMAX’s next-generation laser digital projection technology in the Smithsonian’s three IMAX® theatres, enabling the Smithsonian to deliver the highest-quality digital content available – both documentaries and blockbuster films – and further enhance The IMAX Experience® for its millions of visitors annually.

Under the terms of the agreement, the Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater at the National Museum of Natural History and the Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater at the National Air and Space Museum, both in Washington, D.C., and the Airbus IMAX Theater at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va., will transition to IMAX’s laser digital projectors in 2014.

IMAX’s next-generation projection system is expected to set a new benchmark as the industry’s premium entertainment experience. The system, which incorporates the laser digital intellectual property IMAX exclusively licensed from Eastman Kodak in 2011, represents the largest R&D initiative in IMAX’s history and will enable IMAX® dome theatres and IMAX screens larger than 80 feet to deliver the highest-quality digital content available with greater brightness and clarity, a wider color gamut and deeper blacks.

“Building on our shared legacy of excellence and discovery, we’re delighted that the Smithsonian has adopted this new technology, acting as a springboard for our institutional partners globally,” said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond. “For over 35 years, our partnership with the Smithsonian has served as the gold standard in delivering immersive entertainment experiences that educate, inspire and showcase the wonders of our world. We believe the new laser digital projection system will usher in a new era of quality and innovation in projection technology and allow museum-goers to experience their favorite documentaries and blockbusters as never before.”

Since the National Air and Space Museum opened its doors to visitors in 1976, the Smithsonian/IMAX partnership has delivered exceptional-quality and critically acclaimed documentaries and world-class entertainment to millions. The partnership also has funded and produced groundbreaking IMAX® documentaries including The Dream is Alive, Blue Planet, Destiny in Space (with Lockheed Martin Corporation), and Cosmic Voyage (with Motorola).

“Laser digital projection offers our visitors a more immersive and visceral experience, as well as more programming opportunities,” said Christopher A. Liedel, President, Smithsonian Enterprises. “Today’s agreement continues our decades-long partnership with IMAX and strengthens our commitment to delivering the best educational and entertainment experience.”

Last edited by Giles; 04-12-13 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 05:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: IMAX's Next-Generation Laser Technology

Everything I've heard suggests that this was designed specifically to keep the real IMAX OAR, basically to duplicate the real IMAX experience in every way, but digitally.

This is also part of why I left my gig as an IMAX projectionist. The writing was on the wall.
Old 04-12-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This is also part of why I left my gig as an IMAX projectionist. The writing was on the wall.
that was the only reason?
Old 04-12-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What writing might that have been?
Old 04-12-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to point out, we had an entire conversation about this already last year at this same, exact time.

Here's what we know:
  • IMAX (and Kodak) are launching laser projectors starting in 2014.
  • The projection system will be two 4K projectors next to one another, very similar to IMAX's digital setup now.
  • Theaters that only have a 15/70 projection setup will be the first on the conversion block.
  • Any IMAX theater that opens up in 2014 (or later) will start with the laser projection system. This means if the city of Los Angeles approves it, Los Angeles will be one of the first with the laser projection system based upon TCL and IMAX's deal this week. It also gives us a clearer timeframe of when the rollout will begin to occur.
Old 04-12-13, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Just to point out, we had an entire conversation about this already last year at this same, exact time.

Here's what we know:
  • IMAX (and Kodak) are launching laser projectors starting in 2014.
  • The projection system will be two 4K projectors next to one another, very similar to IMAX's digital setup now.
  • Theaters that only have a 15/70 projection setup will be the first on the conversion block.
  • Any IMAX theater that opens up in 2014 (or later) will start with the laser projection system. This means if the city of Los Angeles approves it, Los Angeles will be one of the first with the laser projection system based upon TCL and IMAX's deal this week. It also gives us a clearer timeframe of when the rollout will begin to occur.
yeah, I was reading about this today as well, it was a flurry of activity on Cinema Treasures website and the number of emails I was getting about the TCL Chinese Theatre
Old 04-12-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
yeah, I was reading about this today as well, it was a flurry of activity on Cinema Treasures website and the number of emails I was getting about the TCL Chinese Theatre
I just read the crybabies' comments on Cinema Treasures about the TCL and IMAX agreement.

One of gems for those who don't want to check the site:

"I will not go see a movie shot in 1:85 or 2:35 projected in an aspect ratio of 1:34 besides IMAX is mostly hype."

It was also funny to read about the seat count getting slashed. Who gives a shit if they lower the seat count? We recently had Galaxy remodel a theater here in town and the seat count dropped by more than 50%. You know what? The theater is fucking awesome now.
Old 04-12-13, 10:21 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Deftones
No, hence the phrase "part of" and not "solely".

But the point is, even if I were working for an amazing company, and I wasn't, there won't be a need for IMAX projectionists in a few years.
Old 04-13-13, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I just read the crybabies' comments on Cinema Treasures about the TCL and IMAX agreement.

One of gems for those who don't want to check the site:

"I will not go see a movie shot in 1:85 or 2:35 projected in an aspect ratio of 1:34 besides IMAX is mostly hype."

It was also funny to read about the seat count getting slashed. Who gives a shit if they lower the seat count? We recently had Galaxy remodel a theater here in town and the seat count dropped by more than 50%. You know what? The theater is fucking awesome now.
the fewer people and larger more comfortable seats would be a godsend, but yes, people complain about the stupidest things.
Old 04-15-13, 07:33 PM

got some confirmations from Smithsonian

- the 4:3 aspect ratio screens are retained
- the conversion will make the Udvar Hazy IMAX theater able to playback 3D features. (hooray!)
Old 04-15-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Here's an interesting recent interview that goes more into the laser projection:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/5043...-brian-bonnick

Big reveal: they claim the laser projection has a contrast ratio of 8000:1, about double the ratio of their film format.
Old 10-09-14, 11:55 PM

and the conversion begins in January (2015), all three screens will be closed until March.

So if you plan on visiting any of three museums and think you'll be able to see a movie on the IMAX screens - think again.
Old 10-10-14, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Everything I've heard suggests that this was designed specifically to keep the real IMAX OAR, basically to duplicate the real IMAX experience in every way, but digitally.

Originally Posted by Deftones
Sounds like an interesting Otter thread could be made of this...
Old 10-10-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
and the conversion begins in January (2015), all three screens will be closed until March.

So if you plan on visiting any of three museums and think you'll be able to see a movie on the IMAX screens - think again.
Crap, I was going to ask if you wanted to see Interstellar.

We have our standing appointment in 2016 for ST3 though
Old 10-10-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sigh. Celluloid's last stand is done now . Sounds like this will be an awesomely sophisticated setup though, if they start putting it into the LIEMAX theaters, that'll be much better than the pseudo-stuff that's in them now. If the 15/70 stuff is first to go, then film is officially done. That resolution sounds insane though .
Old 10-10-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I don't mind it, while I prefer things be shot on film, I still prefer digital projection in theaters.

Mostly because I can't see most movies opening weekend and the quality tends to go to shit really damn fast.
Old 10-12-14, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Crap, I was going to ask if you wanted to see Interstellar.

We have our standing appointment in 2016 for ST3 though
Is your November looking busy?? Star Trek 3 in 2016!
Old 10-22-14, 07:08 PM

was down at the Samuel C. Johnson this afternoon and there is some new news. One, not all the theaters are going under the knife, the Lockheed Martin IMAX screen at the National Air and Space Museum (Mall location) will remain 15/70 and will most likely get the conversion when the museum's overall renovations begin in two years time.

as for the Johnson screen, a new screen will be installed, but not reduced to 1.78 (the common aspect ratio of IMAX-digital non-laser systems); the full 66 foot by 90 foot screen will be retained. IMAX has noted that they have been interested in going the full 360 surround sound route of speaker placement similar to Dolby Atmos / Auro-3D notably adding ceiling sound sourcing, whether it is implemented here is unknown at the time.

IMAX's new sound system described here:

IMAX Reveals New 12-Track Audio Solution

"In a 12-track solution, IMAX added two additional side speakers and four ceiling speakers. Then, using phantom imaging techniques, the company is able to create sounds that appear to emanate from anywhere in the room – now including overhead."
Old 01-29-15, 11:01 AM

new press release:

Over the next few months the IMAX Theater at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center will be undergoing renovations to upgrade to the first major technological innovation since the advent of digital projection-the new laser digital projection system! The IMAX GT (Grand Theater) Laser Digital Projection System is designed to replace IMAX film projection systems, which have long been the most advanced theater projection systems in use. 3D content will fill the six-story IMAX screen with stunning brightness, clarity, and contrast, and will also contain more brilliant colors than have been possible to date with any theater projection system. Complementing the projection system will be a brand new, multi-channel and multi-dimensional sound system that will allow viewers to hear sounds at specific points in the theater space. During this transition to the laser digital projection the Airbus IMAX Theater is expected to close towards the end of February with completion and re-opening slated for April. The Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater at the National Air and Space Museum and the Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater at the National Museum of Natural History will be fully operational during this time frame.

~~

the Natural History theater's conversion isn't expected til this coming Fall.
Old 04-17-15, 11:47 AM

just saw a Facebook posting that the laser conversion / installation will be done in time for the opening of 'The Avengers: Age of Ulton' - which it will be presenting in 3D (and fingers crossed: 12-channel sound)
Old 04-17-15, 12:11 PM

for the record there are currently three IMAX-Laser systems in place (IMAX plans on installing 10-15 more upgrades in 2015)

TCL's Chinese IMAX
Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX (Toronto, Canada)

and the opening of Chantilly Virginia Smithsonian Air and Space IMAX screen

Last edited by Giles; 04-17-15 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

I'm planning on seeing Fast 7 at the Mann's Chinese IMAX this weekend.
Old 04-17-15, 02:14 PM

^ here's an online story TCL's laser system:

MAX To Debut Laser Projection at ‘Furious 7′ Los Angeles Premiere

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the presentation supermallet.
Old 04-17-15, 02:15 PM

I got a Facebook comment from the Smithsonian that:

"Yes, Avengers: Age of Ultron will be the first new film to utilize the new 12 channel sound system."

Old 04-17-15, 02:38 PM

here 'a great interior photo of the TCL Chinese IMAX screen - you can see how and where they tastefully installed the four ceiling speakers

in spoiler form due to photo size:
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.