Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films you won't see based solely on principle.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-11-13, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Example:

I will never watch David Fincher's "A Girl With a Dragon Tattoo" because it is a remake that was only made because studio's realize people are lazy when it comes to watching films where the main language isn't english. Also it's a film that relies heavily on surprise, mystery and putting all the pieces together, which sort of defeats the purpose of a remake when you've seen the original less than 2 years before the remake is released.

Now you go.
Old 04-11-13, 02:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Film's you won't see based solely on principle.

Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is significantly better than the original in almost every aspect. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-11-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Also, it's not a remake but an adaptation of the novel. Now, you can argue they wanted to cash in on the popularity of the Danish version (or the focus it brought on the novels) but to say it's a remake is incorrect.
Old 04-11-13, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Human Centipede. No need to watch that sort of thing.
Old 04-11-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Human Centipede. No need to watch that sort of thing.
This and its sequel, thanks Movie Censorship for letting me know I don't want to see this.

A Serbian Film - I don't care if a PG version is made, I don't want any of it in motion.
Old 04-11-13, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Chick flicks.
Old 04-11-13, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't know if there is such a film. My first instinct was to say A Serbian Film, but honestly, I really just have no desire to seek it out. If I stumbled across it on TV (assuming that was even possible), I'd probably watch it, as I'm sure my imagined versions of the scenes I've heard described are worse than anything shown. There are movies I won't watch because they look totally devoid of anything interesting or entertaining, but I don't think there are any I avoid on principle.
Old 04-11-13, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrie remake.
Old 04-11-13, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Escape Tomb
Old 04-11-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Nothing really out of principle, just concepts that do not interest me or films I have never gotten around to seeing because there are others higher on the list.

because studio's realize people are lazy when it comes to watching films where the main language isn't english
Yes, some of us are, I will admit to that, I prefer to watch, not read my films. Lazy? Maybe.
Old 04-11-13, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

The ones on my list are all sequels to RoboCop and Beverly Hills Cop, though never say never, because I did end up seeing Beverly Hills Cop 2, and thought it was acceptable. Did see part of it as a kid well before my "edict" though.
Old 04-11-13, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadm
Example:

I will never watch David Fincher's "A Girl With a Dragon Tattoo" because it is a remake that was only made because studio's realize people are lazy when it comes to watching films where the main language isn't english. Also it's a film that relies heavily on surprise, mystery and putting all the pieces together, which sort of defeats the purpose of a remake when you've seen the original less than 2 years before the remake is released.

Now you go.
If I wanted to read the story I would grab the book. ( I did).
Old 04-11-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
A Serbian Film - I don't care if a PG version is made, I don't want any of it in motion.

That and Salo.
Old 04-11-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I refuse to see any Victor Salva movies, mostly because I don't like contributing to the lively hood of child molesters.

I won't see any of the Marvel movies based on how they've treated Jack Kirby and his estate.
Old 04-11-13, 07:40 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

The Social Network. I don't give a shit about Facebook, the people behind it, how it was created, what anyone had to suffer as a result of it, I just don't care enough about it to want to watch a movie about it. Not to mention that it's just not my kind of movie anyway.

Also, Lifetime movies, just because of the 'poor me' shit.
Old 04-11-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5
The Social Network. I don't give a shit about Facebook, the people behind it, how it was created, what anyone had to suffer as a result of it, I just don't care enough about it to want to watch a movie about it. Not to mention that it's just not my kind of movie anyway.
That sounds less about principle and more about general disinterest in the topic. Which is the same reason I too ignored The Social Network and The Black Swan (or whatever the hell that movie about ballet was called).
Old 04-11-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is significantly better than the original in almost every aspect. I highly recommend it.
Gotta disagree with that one. I believe the complete opposite, IMO the original is better in every aspect.

Originally Posted by RocShemp

That and Salo.
Salo is actually a good film with a message. Pasolini was one of the greats and he would never create something shallow. The man lost his life because of it. Yeah I know some of you will disagree and if you do go eat a turd.

Originally Posted by maxfisher
There are movies I won't watch because they look totally devoid of anything interesting or entertaining, but I don't think there are any I avoid on principle.
I agree with this.
Old 04-11-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything with Adam Sandler. Why support someone who continually puts out rancid movies?
Old 04-11-13, 08:41 AM

Cannibal Halocaust, or anything that would be purposely use animals for cruelty or kill them.
Old 04-11-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I will never watch Andrei Rublev because of the shit I heard about them doing to a horse in one scene.
Old 04-11-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I refuse to see any Victor Salva movies, mostly because I don't like contributing to the lively hood of child molesters.
Catch Powder on cable sometime if you can. Knowing Salva's history, it adds a whole new level of creepy to it and makes Eraserhead look like a Walt Disney production.
Old 04-11-13, 08:53 AM

Most of what I'd avoid on principle would have exceptions.

The English remakes of foreign movies is a perfect example of something I've become fed up with. I saw [REC], loved it, then made it ten minutes into Quarantine. It's effectively the exact same movie (and could be argued an equal movie) but I didn't care because it felt like it was stealing credit from the original, and feels like it's catering to people who won't watch foreign movies. But something like Dragon Tattoo I'm willing to try because Fincher is directing, and I wasn't thrilled with the originals.

Mostly anything that looks like it's meant to teens to go to dates on. Generic action flicks, horror flicks, rom-coms. Again there are plenty of exceptions, so I wait for the reviews to come in so the good movies seperate themselves.
Old 04-11-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Catch Powder on cable sometime if you can. Knowing Salva's history, it adds a whole new level of creepy to it and makes Eraserhead look like a Walt Disney production.
Or Jeepers Creepers II. Knowing who he was when I watched that made it just much weirder.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That sounds less about principle and more about general disinterest in the topic. Which is the same reason I too ignored The Social Network and The Black Swan (or whatever the hell that movie about ballet was called).
Yeah, big difference there. Principle would be because you didn't like Fincher's political views, or think Aaronofsky is an asshole.

That said, The Social Network and The Black Swan were two of the best movies of 2010. Especially Social Network, awesome flick.
Old 04-11-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Or most any scene in Jeepers Creepers 2. Particulalrly the peeing shoulder-to-shoulder scene or when the Creeper is picking which guy he wants to eat first.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by RichC2
Or Jeepers Creepers II. Knowing who he was when I watched that made it just much weirder.
Damn. Beat me to it.
Old 04-11-13, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of the guy, though i did see Powder back in public school. This bit made me lose some if not all respect for Coppola.

After being released from prison, Salva had a series of odd jobs, while trying to get hired as a film director, living off some financial support given to him by Coppola.[2]
That pisses me off.

Now I still think Polanski is a great filmmaker but I'd gladly give up a great artist to make them pay for their crimes. Victim's current opinion be damned. Though I still want him to pay his dues it doesn't affect me in watching a film of his. Past or current.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.