Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ryan Murphy’s Provocative Relationship Drama ‘Open’ Lands At HBO With Pilot Order

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ryan Murphy’s Provocative Relationship Drama ‘Open’ Lands At HBO With Pilot Order

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 08:06 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After fielding interest from multiple networks, Open, the racy new drama spec from Glee and American Horror Story co-creator Ryan Murphy, has gone to HBO, which has given it a pilot order. Casting is expected to begin shortly for filming in the fall. Open, which Murphy co-wrote with Dexter co-executive producer Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. It hails from Fox 21, the cable production division of 20th Century Fox TV, where Murphy is under a rich overall deal. This marks the first project at HBO for 20th TV/Fox21, whose maiden project at fellow premium cable network Showtime was the Emmy-winning drama Homeland. “Gary (Newman), Bert (Salke) and I have been looking for the right opportunity to be in business with HBO for awhile, and this show represents the exact right opportunity,” said 20th TV chairman Dana Walden. “Its provocative storytelling and Ryan’s trademark production values and rich, layered characters make it a perfect fit for the HBO brand.”

Open expands HBO’s relationship with Murphy, where he is directing a passion project of his, the film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s celebrated Broadway play The Normal Heart. It is through that movie that HBO president Michael Lombardo got to know Murphy and observe his talent first-hand. Then he got the call from 20th TV and was given the Open script. “I was hooked,” Lombardo said. “I think it is a perfect marriage of an idea and execution. This is an area we’ve been talking about doing something in for some time, and Ryan did it in a way that is enormously engaging. We’re thrilled doing this project with him, Dana and Gary.”

Open revolves around five lead characters, including a married couple of thirtysomethings, the husband’s male co-worker and a woman in her 40s who is a yoga professional. Murphy said he had been bouncing ideas about a show exploring human relationships when Dante Di Loreto of his company, Ryan Murphy Prods, heard about Gussis working on a similar project and put them together. “She was great fresh voice and energy,” Murphy said about combining his efforts with Gussis. The two worked on the script in December in what marked the first time Murphy developed a project on spec instead of selling a pitch. As for the spec landing at HBO: “I’m thrilled about it,” Murphy said, noting his great relationship with Lombardo through Normal Heart and calling HBO a perfect home for Open. “They have great projects, and this is really an adult show that is very frank in its depiction of sex.” But that depiction never feels gratuitous, 20th TV chairman Newman added. “It is a very honest exploration of relationships and intimacy, and the sex feels organic to the subject matter,” he said.

HBO previously tackled the subject of relationships and sexuality with Tell Me You Love Me, though I hear Open takes a completely different approach. “It is a challenge how do talk about relationships and monogamy without feeling navel-gazing and neurotic, and (Murphy and Gussis) figured it out,” Lombardo said.

For Murphy, Open adds to an already full plate that includes three series on the air, which he co-created and executive produces: Fox’s Glee, FX’s AHS and freshman NBC comedy New Normal. A fifth-season renewal for Glee is pending, and Murphy just unveiled that the upcoming third installment of AHS will be titled American Horror Story: Coven and will star Kathy Bates in addition to Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson and Taissa Farmiga. Additionally, CAA-repped Murphy is working on Normal Heart for HBO, with Julia Roberts and Mark Ruffalo starring.

Walden vouches full support for Murphy and is not worried by his enormous workload. “He’s demonstrated over and over that he is capable of handing volume in an extraordinary way,” she said. Gussis, repped by CAA and Circle Of Confusion, also worked on ABC’s Once Upon A Time. Fox 21′s slate includes the Emmy-winning Homeland for Showtime; FX’s Sons Of Anarchy; A&E’s Those Who Kill; and the FX pilot Tyrant, from Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff, and Craig Wright, which recently tapped Ang Lee as director.
Old 04-10-13, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Ryan Murphy’s Provocative Relationship Drama ‘Open’ Lands At HBO With Pilot Order

Sounds a lot like their short-lived Tell Me You Love Me from 6 years ago.
Old 07-30-13, 04:04 PM

Re: Ryan Murphy’s Provocative Relationship Drama ‘Open’ Lands At HBO With Pilot Order

Well... this just got a whole lot more interesting...

Anna Torv is entering a new alternative universe: The former Fringe star is joining Ryan Murphy’s sex-and-relationships pilot Open as the lesbian lover of Jennifer Jason Leigh, TVLine has learned.

The provocative script, which was penned by Murphy and Dexter co-executive producer Lauren Gussis, revolves around five characters.

Torv will play Windsor, a yoga instructor in a longterm relationship with Holly (Jennifer Jason Leigh), but upon meeting Grace (casting TBD)) feels an instant connection. They join the previously cast Scott Speedman and Wes Bentley.
Old 07-30-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm in (after reading that first sentence.
Old 07-30-13, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pass. It already sounded boring by description and adding Anna Torv to the cast doesn't help matters at all. Not a fan of her work.
Old 07-31-13, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
Well damn, I'm so in... deep.
Old 07-31-13, 07:50 AM

I guess we won't be getting anything like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9IUZkug8qo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-31-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Well damn, I'm so in... deep.
Same here.
Old 07-31-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

And just like all Ryan Murphy shows, it'll have a strong first season and then shit the bed for the rest of it's run.
Old 07-31-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice YouTube clip....aroused at work is not a good thing....
Old 07-31-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And just like all Ryan Murphy shows, it'll have a strong first season and then shit the bed for the rest of it's run.
Nip Tuck had 2 strong seasons and then shit the "jacuzzi."
Old 07-31-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
AHS has been good so far.
Old 07-31-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

do i get to see anna torv's tits? that's all i want to know.
Old 07-31-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
do i get to see anna torv's tits? that's all i want to know.
I'm hoping to see her Fringe...
Old 07-31-13, 08:31 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

To be honest, they would likely get better ratings just showing unedited episodes of Cathouse. I can't see how this will be any more interesting than Tell Me You Love Me which despite pretty explicit sex was really really dull.