Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bioshock VS Bioshock 2 VS Infinite

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What was your favorite BS game?
Bioshock
50.00%
Bioshock 2
3.13%
Bioshock: Infinite
46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Since finishing Infinite yesterday I was thinking what was the better in the series. The story in Bioshock was great but gameplay sucked. BS 2 had an mediocre story but great gameplay. Infinite had the best story of the three but gameplay still seemed somewhat lacking.

I always like the BS series for it's story and not much for gameplay. I think Infinite would've worked better if there was no guns or even at the end have an option to just roam around without fear of getting into a shootout.

So in the end my vote goes to Infinite.
Old 04-08-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Bioshock VS Bioshock 2 VS Infinite

I never played Bioshock 2, but between Bioshock and Infinite, I pick Infinite.
Old 04-08-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Havnt played 1 yet, I like Infinite the best
Old 04-08-13, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never played 2, and I haven't finished Infinite yet. That said, while I loved the first, I like Infinite better.
Old 04-08-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I haven't played or seen much of Infinite except trailers and it looks amazing. That said I did play the first one and it was ground breaking and a visual feast. The game play and story was outstanding. It's really not fair to compare the first and infinite because of enviroment and style is somewhat different yet parts are similar.
Old 04-08-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Haven't played infinite yet and more than likely won't but I loved the apartment they give you in part 2 for multiplayer.

Go ahead call me crazy but if I lef this game running while doing other stuff and was half in the bag, I use to love putting the view on the fish and listen to the music play to wind down and take a nap - relaxing stuff:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fcIziEOhehc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-08-13, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bioshock 1 by a mile, then Infinite and lastly Bioshock 2. Infinite is plagued by a long development cycle, so the controls and combat are dated and bad. The graphics were very underwhelming, maybe on par with Bioshock 1 from years ago but far behind anything current such as Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Gears of War, Halo 4 etc. Also, not really sold on the convoluted story just for the sake of being artsy. Overall, Bioshock 1 was nearly a 10/10, with Infinite around a 7/10...same with Bioshock 2.
Old 04-08-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even need to play Infinite before voting for the original Bioshock. One of the most (if not the most) greatest games this generation. From story, environment, creativity, etc. Bioshock was amazing and unforgettable.
Old 04-08-13, 10:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I voted for Infinite because it's a better game, but the original Bioshock left a bigger impression on me at the time. If that makes any sense.
Old 04-08-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I don't even need to play Infinite before voting for the original Bioshock. One of the most (if not the most) greatest games this generation. From story, environment, creativity, etc. Bioshock was amazing and unforgettable.
By your reasons, I think you really should play Infinite
Old 04-08-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Each game has its charms, and I like the setting of Rapture more than that of Columbia, but the sheer brilliance of Infinite sets it apart from the others.
Old 04-09-13, 03:38 AM

I haven't played Infinite yet but I'm really looking forward to it but mostly because of the story and the setting! I really loved the whole Underwater Art Deco Style of Rapture, but the Architecture and Style of Columbia look promising as well!
Old 04-09-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't finished Infinite yet but mostly agree with discostu1337. The graphics are not that great compared with most releases in the last year. The design is top notch of course. I'm comparing the Xbox versions, I'm playing the game and wishing I was playing in the PC to see all the hi-res textures. I would probably end up getting the game there too.

But being a big Bioshock fan, I'm playing Infinite and thinking ooh this is like X in the first game, oh yeah, this reminds of this other thing. I really hope Infinite's ending is better than the first one, I'm almost sure of that.

I will let you know later this week if my opinion changed.
Old 04-09-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I voted for Infinite because it's a better game, but the original Bioshock left a bigger impression on me at the time. If that makes any sense.
Agreed.
Old 04-09-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

They both had pretty basic plots well delivered, Infinite's gets slightly convoluted but not horribly so.

Honestly, I didn't find the gameplay in either to be exceptional, the worlds themselves were the highlights. I was happy Pipe Dream was nowhere to be found in Infinite, but didn't like the massive gun battles in Infinite.

BioShock felt better realized in some regards, but I was constantly more interested with BioShock Infinite, even if the plot devices weren't delivered as well as they were in BioShock.

I sincerely hope the DLC for BioShock Infinite lives up to the name "Infinite".
Spoiler:
I would love to see some new places, some new tears, lighthouses, etc;. There are a ton of possibilities there, oh and 1980s Paris dammit! As far as I'm concerned, Columbia and Rapture's stories are done with.

Edit: oh and Infinite gets my vote, but only by a hair.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-09-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The story, setting and everything makes more sense in Bioshock 1. It's just a better realized world/story than Infinite. But mostly, it's gameplay felt better. The Big Daddy fights alone were more fun than anything in Infinite.

Plasmids make total sense in Andrew Ryan's world, they (Vigors) make no sense in Columbia.
Old 04-09-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The story, setting and everything makes more sense in Bioshock 1. It's just a better realized world/story than Infinite. But mostly, it's gameplay felt better. The Big Daddy fights alone were more fun than anything in Infinite.

Plasmids make total sense in Andrew Ryan's world, they (Vigors) make no sense in Columbia.
See that's one thing I really liked about Infinite.
Spoiler:
Since Fink was basically stealing ideas he observed through tears to Rapture, everything came off as a slightly hackjob version of the refined Rapture product. From developing Vigors based on the Plasmids to designing his mechanical creatures based on the Big Daddys. It all came off as very "Me Too!" which it was -everything was sort of a "flea market" variation on what Andrew Ryan had perfected (or will perfect in 50 years, if Rapture and Columbia exist in the same dimension)

Last edited by RichC2; 04-09-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Ditto. I can still clearly remember starting 1--a game experience unlike anything else prior. Frankly, I've loved all 3, though for different reasons. I do miss the Big Daddies & Little Sisters. I also miss some of the choices, like to harvest or not to harvest...
Old 04-09-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Infinite all the way. Better story, better pacing, and better presentation. Not to take anything away from the original BioShock, which I love, but I had a much stronger emotional reaction to Infinite.
Old 04-09-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never played 2, but having finished both Bioshock and Infinite, Bioshock is still my favorite. I appreciate the story of Infinite, but I would much rather spend my time in Rapture rather than Columbia.

I was engrossed in the world of Rature and never felt that way in Columbia.
Old 04-09-13, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts

Infinite because I'm out there and I'm lovin' every minute of it!
Old 04-09-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to see all the love for Bioshock 2
Old 04-10-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Infinite definitely has better "direction". The pacing, combat placement and enemy types are excellent. Same with the musical cues, story editing, etc. I think as an overall game its actually the best, although the original is probably one of the most memorable titles of this generation. With the original there was a major sense of immersion, whereas in Infinite a lot of the back story is optional. Honestly, I think the only true drawback of Infinite is that graphically it was probably surpassed in 2011. I also hold a a lot of love for Bioshock 2. But too me personally that game really felt like the greatest expansion pack ever released rather than a sequel. So for me: Infinite > Bioshock > Bioshock 2.
Old 04-10-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B1 for sure. B:I was good but I liked the Big Daddy/Little Sister story line better.
Old 04-10-13, 01:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

One of the reasons that Infinite may seem deficient graphically, at least on consoles, is that it's very ambitious. There are some huge environments in that game, and a lot going on. Compromises had to be made to keep things churning along at an acceptable frame rate. I don't think I noticed one slowdown in the 360 version playing from beginning to end. And it's still a great-looking game with wonderful production design.

Compare to Bioshock, which for the most part takes place in small, claustrophobic interiors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.