Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (2014, Edwards) S: Taylor-Johnson, Cranston, Olsen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla (2014, Edwards) S: Taylor-Johnson, Cranston, Olsen

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The return of Godzilla?

From Arrow in the Head:

CLOVERFIELD eat your heart out, the king is back! That's right ladies and gentlemen... there's no way I can sugarcoat this one, it seems Godzilla is set for a comeback!

Well that's according to the guys over at Bloody-Disgusting. Unfortunately the only details available are that this reboot will be coming from Legendary Pictures and that they're only in early discussions. So perhaps we're jumping the gun a bit... but tell me it's not intriguing? The last Godzilla update we got came in 2000 with Takao Okawa's GODZILLA 2000. Here in the US we were treated to Roland Emmerich's GODZILLA back in 1998. Needless to say neither did the trick..

So we fast forward ten years later and the question is... are we ready to try again? What do you guys think? Should we give Godzilla another shot or just let the giant monster rest? If you get the right director behind this one and you nail the special effects just right... it could be epic. Hey, it's possible right? Spit some bullets below to let us know your opinion on the matter! As soon as we hear more on Legendary Pictures' potential GODZILLA film we'll pass along the news to all of you.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Big G, so this is very exciting news to me. I feel like anyone who would tackle a new Godzilla flick should be well-versed in how poorly received the last attempt at a US version was critically, commercially and, most importantly, by the fans. If they were to use a CG design similar to the one used in Always 2, I'd be willing to get on board. I'm all for man-in-suit action, but I feel like a CG Godzilla, done like King Kong (2005), could be a thing of beauty.

What say you?

Edit: here's the clip of the newly-designed CGI Big G from the film Always 2 (in a dream sequence):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEEXydQc9KE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEEXydQc9KE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bad. Ass.

Last edited by islandclaws; 08-13-09 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The return of Godzilla?

If it's nothing like the 98 version.

A CG version would be the only way to go and could be quite good if it attracts the right talent (and WETA does Zilla).

I still want a Cloverfield sequel though.
Old 08-13-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've never seen a godzilla movie other than the '98 version and i knew that it wasn't what it should've been. here's hoping they get it right this time...and KC feel free to recommend some godzilla flicks worth checking out.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 08-13-09 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like giant monster movies.
Old 08-13-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

No Mothra - no sale
Old 08-13-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i've never seen a godzilla movie other than the '98 version and i knew that it wasn't what it should've been. here's hoping they get it right this time...and KC feel free to recommend some gozilla flicks worth checking out.
Being the nerd I am, I'll list my recommendations based on the era...

Showa era:

King Kong vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla ('74) (personal fave)

Heisei era:

Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Millenium series:

Godzilla 2000
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, All Monsters All-Out Attack

I'm not a big fan of the new Millenium series as much as the Showa or Heisei era, don't really dig the redesigned suit that much. You really can't go wrong with any of the Showa films, aside from possibly Godzilla's Revenge or Godzilla vs. Megalon, though both are still fun. I'd recommend picking up some of the box sets as they can be had for relatively cheap. Classic Media did a fantastic job on the Showa films they had the rights to. Here are two box sets I recommend you consider picking up:

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Colle...0209979&sr=8-1 (this is the CM set of Showa films, high recommendation on this set)

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Colle...0210057&sr=8-2 (this set covers most of the Millenium films and a couple Heisei, with the '98 version thrown in for padding)
Old 08-13-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

KC: I too am an old school Godzilla fan, and proudly own the showa era films that aren't dubbed. I also own All Out Monsters Attack and Final Wars. I would really like to get my hands on some of the Heisei era ones undubbed; I got Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II from Netflix and I think watching it undubbed made all the difference in whether I saw it as an entertaining movie with a little cheese as opposed to all out cheese that had me fast forwarding to the monster action. Do you know if there are any plans to put out the others undubbed? Thanks!
Old 08-13-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
If it's nothing like the 98 version.

A CG version would be the only way to go and could be quite good if it attracts the right talent (and WETA does Zilla).
Agreed, except about the WETA part. If it's done right, it could be good. However ILM should definetly do the effects. Davy Jones is by far the best CGI creation ever, AVATAR may change everything though. But for now, ILM is king!!
Old 08-13-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only interested if they can get Maria Pitillo back. And we must have Mayor Ebert as a character.

Seriously, the 1998 film was the biggest movie disappointment for me. I remember reading daily about it for months until its release. And then walking out of the theater completely stunned by what I saw on screen. I'm all for a reboot.
Old 08-13-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
KC: I too am an old school Godzilla fan, and proudly own the showa era films that aren't dubbed. I also own All Out Monsters Attack and Final Wars. I would really like to get my hands on some of the Heisei era ones undubbed; I got Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II from Netflix and I think watching it undubbed made all the difference in whether I saw it as an entertaining movie with a little cheese as opposed to all out cheese that had me fast forwarding to the monster action. Do you know if there are any plans to put out the others undubbed? Thanks!
Sadly, it appears that there are no plans for those films to be released undubbed and in the original Japanese versions.
Old 08-13-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

The return of Godzilla? He never left. He's always been with us...in here (*taps chest*).
Old 08-13-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Godzilla '98 wasn't that bad. The only annoying thing was the human characters (except for Jean Reno and his team). But I hate those even in the Japanese Godzilla movies.
Old 08-13-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Godzilla '98 wasn't that bad. The only annoying thing was the human characters (except for Jean Reno and his team). But I hate those even in the Japanese Godzilla movies.
It wasn't bad for a giant, stupid monster-run-amok flick. I look at it as an untitled film with a giant iguana smashing shit for 2 hours. The monster design was pretty cool, but it def wasn't Godzilla.
Old 08-13-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Agreed, except about the WETA part. If it's done right, it could be good. However ILM should definetly do the effects. Davy Jones is by far the best CGI creation ever, AVATAR may change everything though. But for now, ILM is king!!
I'm in agreement on Davey Jones, but WETA proved with Kong they could do justice to a big beast. The realization of Kong was superlative.

I think we're splitting hairs... both ILM and Weta would get it right.
Old 08-13-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I'm in agreement on Davey Jones, but WETA proved with Kong they could do justice to a big beast. The realization of Kong was superlative.

I think we're splitting hairs... both ILM and Weta would get it right.
They should both do it. If both of their "A" teams teamed up it would be the best CGI ever. They should have done this with AVATAR.
Old 08-13-09, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bring a more definite list:

Gojira- Invasion of Astro Monster....anything after that and before The Return of Gojira aka Godzilla 1985 sucked really bad. Sure Mechagodzilla was fun but it's a crap film with a cool villain. They also changed the G suit to being more kiddy and it just went to far.

The Heisei series was all around pretty good. Except when it hit SpaceGodizilla, which was horrible, and the last one with Destoryah was good, not great but a damn fine way to end Godzilla. The Millennium series is just too many reboots. It made no since. I liked the G suit but..it was overall a crappy series
Old 08-13-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

What say you?

Edit: here's the clip of the newly-designed CGI Big G from the film Always 2 (in a dream sequence):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEEXydQc9KE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SEEXydQc9KE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bad. Ass.
Wow I love this! This is the way the movie should look!
Old 08-13-09, 11:53 PM
Banned

Oh I also forgot to add. That clip was pretty badass. CG was probably the best Japan could do. How come they can't do better? It's always mediocre but that clip was pretty good.
Old 08-14-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
It wasn't bad for a giant, stupid monster-run-amok flick. I look at it as an untitled film with a giant iguana smashing shit for 2 hours. The monster design was pretty cool, but it def wasn't Godzilla.
This right here. Renamed "New York vs. The Iguana" and it would be really awesome.

And I gladly welcome a return of the lovable, huggable Big G....as long as he faithful to the rubber suit Godzilla.

And I loved the "2000" suit design, my absolute favorite.
Old 08-14-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I'm all in for any G-Film.
Old 08-14-09, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather see nice dvd editions of the remaining godzilla films out there than a new movie which I'm sure won't be so great. Most of the millennium series was terrible in my opinion.
Old 08-14-09, 04:21 AM
Banned

Indeed it was. The only cool thing was some of the sfx, the monsters, and of course Godzilla. The plots were soooo bad. Even for a G flick.
Old 08-14-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice clip from Always 2. In for a CGI version also!
Old 08-14-09, 08:19 AM
Banned

so what is Always 2 about anyway?
Old 08-14-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That clip from Always 2 looks awesome, though I have no idea what that movie is. But what gives about the article mentioning that the last Godzilla update was in 2000? What about Godzilla: Final Wars in 2004?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.