Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Shop Boys: Electric (June 2013, new label)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even before Elysium came out, there was buzz that PSB were already working on a followup and now we have verification that just nine months after Elysium we have a new album.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92D10220130314

Pet Shop Boys switch labels for new 'Electric' album

(Reuters) - Pet Shop Boys have left the record label Parlophone after 28 years and will release their new studio album "Electric" through independent music publisher Kobalt in June, the British duo said on Thursday.

The chart-toppers, whose 1980s hits include "West End Girls" and "It's A Sin", said further details of their 12th studio album would be released soon.

The move by the duo, who have sold 50 million records worldwide since getting together 32 years ago, comes a month after it was announced that Parlophone was being sold to Warner Music.

Parlophone was previously one of EMI's most prized assets but Vivendi's Universal Music Group agreed last year to sell the label to satisfy European regulators over its $1.9 billion purchase of EMI's recorded music business.

The Pet Shop Boys said when they signed with Parlophone, whose artists also include Coldplay, they had no idea how long or how successful the relationship would be.

"However it is also exciting now to commence a new phase working with a new team in a new business structure and we look forward to a creative and equally fulfilling relationship with Kobalt," bandmates Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe said in a statement on their website.

Kobalt is a fast-growing independent music publisher set up in 2000 by Swedish businessman Willard Ahdritz who established a new publishing model to release and market records while giving the musicians greater control and ownership of their work.

The label's first international album release, "Push The Sky Away" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, debuted this year at No. 1 in seven countries and in the top four in 13 other countries.
Old 03-19-13, 02:25 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pet Shop Boys: Electric (June 2013, new label)

Pretty lame press release.Doesn't really reveal anything about the new album.
Wow...its usually what..3 years?..between PSB albums.
I have not heard anything off of Elysium yet,but the previous one,Yes,just might be their best.
Old 03-19-13, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're missing nothing with Elysium. I don't mind mellow PSB (Behaviour might be my fave album of theirs) but this is just very bland and there. As much as people hate Release, I can name at least 4 tracks there I prefer to the best track off Elysium.

Hoping Electric is much better and up to their normal standards.
Old 04-17-13, 11:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Elysium maybe flawed, but the Pet Shop Boys can take the honor of being one of the most consistent prolific artists nowadays.
Old 04-18-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Giles has an excellent point.

Elysium...well, it was a great sleepytime record.