Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTS Drop Out's SOLVED For Onkyo 575 & Pioneer 525

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS Drop Out's SOLVED For Onkyo 575 & Pioneer 525

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-00, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this helps someone!!!!!

I was having a hell of a time trying to troubleshoot the problem of having (DTS) Jurrasic Park, (DTS) MIB, (DTS) T2UE and (DTS) Lost World have audio drop outs at the same points (even when rewinding) on these disks. For example when the chopper in JP was appraching the island I would hear the theme song "stutter" and drop for a fraction of a second throughout the high notes. Also, in MIB when the Dragonfly approached the road the sound would "sputter".

I replaced my Onkyo 575 with a 575X, replaced my Pioneer 525 with a brand 525, tried optical connector, and coax connector and even tried two copies of the same movie with no success. I finally took the movie to a retailer to try it on their set-up, BANG, no problem.

I went home determined to find a solution. Alas, I believe the problem is corrected!! Although this forum and Onkyo recommend using the "small speaker" setting in the receiver if your running a sub, I changed the setting to "LARGE" and the dropouts are gone!!

Now the part I don't understand. I am running (4) Klipsch KSB 1.1 speakers (1" tweeter + 5.5" woofer) as my mains, and surrounds. Wouldn't these speakers be considered "SMALL". If so what is going on that the receiver does not work properly.

For now I am happy, no more sound drops on the discs I checked last night!! Just wondering why this problem exists, and is my Sub going to give me what it should????

------------------
Old 10-30-00, 08:35 PM
BEC

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Luckyboy:
I am running (4) Klipsch KSB 1.1 speakers (1" tweeter + 5.5" woofer) as my mains, and surrounds. Wouldn't these speakers be considered "SMALL". If so what is going on that the receiver does not work properly.
<HR>

Sounds like your Onkyo bass management has a glitch - probably software. First time I've read about this error. I don't know of any chip upgrades. You could call Onkyo, although I've heard their customer service blows. It took forever for them to admit to the hissing problem.

5.5" should get you well below 80 Hz (probably around 60 Hz). By running large, you'll have a bass dip of a several dB, mostly the deep bass (20 - 60Hz) recorded for the mains. This probably isn't that noticeable, unless you are a "I need flat frequency response to 20 Hz" kind of guy.

You could try running your sub off the mains or pre-outs for better bass coverage. That way deep bass from the mains get sent to the sub. You could perhaps even buy/make a second sub for both the mains and the surrounds.

Alot of people have Onkyo's. It's a good thing you posted this.
Old 10-30-00, 10:06 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

I had the same problem with my Onkyo 575 and actually returned it because of it. It was very noticeable in Chapter 18 of Jurassic Park.

I got a 575X and it worked fine until I adjusted some settings on it. Suddenly the problem was back. Turns out the cause is Onkyo's "Re-EQ" setting. When it's on the sound stutters in that scene. When it's off, no stuttering.

This is supposed to adjust the "theater sound" for use in a smaller room. I've never seen a dealer with this setting enabled so that could explain why it worked on their system.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by jm2 (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old 10-30-00, 10:17 PM

i had a similar problem on my setup. i had a sherwood receiver and a zenith player. anyway, at first i used the cheap-o digital coax that came in the box and it was all fine and dandy, then i tried a monster VIDEO CABLE and whenever the bass hit the sound dropped. i then upgraded to a MONSTER DIGITAL COAXIAL cable and it works fine. i think it has to do with the CABLEs and not your setups.
Old 10-30-00, 10:27 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

I tried a Monster cable too. I'm not saying that's not a factor, but for me the one thing that definitely caused the stuttering was Re-EQ.

Over a period of several days I tried 2 Jurassic Park discs, 2 cables and even took my receiver in to the dealer to hook it up to their system (guess the Onkyo's have a pretty good "memory" when the power goes out because it remembered that setting was on).

(edited because I can't spell for @#$$#)

[This message has been edited by jm2 (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old 10-31-00, 03:01 PM

Thanks, I don't even remember now if my RE-eQ was active or not during my troubles. Maybe I can de-activate the RE-eQ and change my speaker settings back to small. Great Forum!

------------------
Old 11-01-00, 02:00 PM

Funny, for the Halloween kiddies. I had Jurassic park playing in my HT and had no dropouts or anything on my stuff. Re-Eq on and all. My speakers are set to large though. Had my Onkyo 575x turned up to about 57 the whole time so I would've definitely noticed a drop-out while playing.

------------------
Main system
Sony 32" Trinitron, Onkyo TX-DS575x, Pioneer DV-525, JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Auxiliary system
LXI 46" Rear Projection TV (old), PC-DVD DXR3, Onkyo 3130Pro, Acoustic Research AR3a, JBL Center, KLH surrounds
Old 11-01-00, 03:05 PM

DNMONTY, Hello, could you try setting speakers to "small" with Re-Eq ON? This would be an interesting check. Also, try the point where the chopper is approaching the island. Thanks
Old 11-03-00, 11:04 PM

As another data point, I have the 676 with a Toshiba 2108. Same problems. Never noticed it since I don't use the Re-EQ option. Bummer...

------------------
bg
Old 03-16-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does Onkyo say about this?

Bless you for posting this. I was going crazy trying to find the problem. On my Onkyo 575X:
Small + ReEq = dropouts
Large + ReEq = no droupouts
Now, if I only knew how Onkyo defines "small" and "large".
At least the dropouts are gone!
Thanks.
Old 04-12-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This is a way old thread, but I've been having dropout problems with DTS on my Sony receiver on several DVD players and thought I'd give this Large/Small thing a try since it's an option on my player - just posting here so I remember to post if it worked or not.

If there have been advancements in dropout solutions, let me know.