Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does putting items in your Amazon wish list raise the price in the short term?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 08:48 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Seems like whenever I put something in my wishlist, the next time I go to the site it has raised in price. Eventually it will fluctuate back down a little, but in the short term it ALWAYS goes up. Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-11-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Does putting items in your Amazon wish list raise the price in the short term?

No, it usually doesn't raise the price for me.
Old 03-11-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Re: Does putting items in your Amazon wish list raise the price in the short term?

I've had some stuff in my Amazon cart for a year. The prices go up and down. They seem to be trending upward.
Old 03-11-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I don't know... do you mean they raised the price sitewide just because you put it in your wishlist, or raised it just for you? Several years ago there was a big deal about Amazon having different prices for different users for the same item.

It's no secret that Amazon's prices constantly fluctuate. I'll notice that items will go up and down in price by as little as a few cents or as much as several dollars on an almost constant basis.
Old 03-11-13, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

No, the camel disagrees.
Old 03-11-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Amazon tried offering different pricing to different customers years ago and it blew up in their faces in a big way. Outside of Goldbox deals, I doubt they'll ever again attempt it.
Old 03-11-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walmart does this in their stores. I can drive a few miles and find different prices. Not on every item, but on some things. I'd imagine it's tougher to get away with on the internet.
Old 03-12-13, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most physical stores do this, especially grocery stores, they adjust the prices to the local economy.
Old 03-12-13, 07:39 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I've had some stuff in my Amazon cart for a year. The prices go up and down. They seem to be trending upward.
Old 03-12-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Most physical stores do this, especially grocery stores, they adjust the prices to the local economy.
But not for individual shoppers.
Old 03-12-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like a ridiculous thought to me! "Oh, John put this item on his wish list, let's raise the price." May I say "DUH!!"
Old 03-12-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It depends on how popular an item is with customers. I track hundreds of items on Amazon and putting an item with few, if any, sales on your wish list or basket might stop the price's downward momentum. But Amazon uses a very sophisticated pricing algorithm that incorporates literally hundreds of variables. A few years back before Amazon became the biggest Internet retailer, someone on their programming team spilled the details on a public forum.
Old 03-16-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
No, the camel disagrees.
the penguin abides.

message received. will be initiating radio silence until mission completion.
Old 03-22-13, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me the other day pursuant to an Amazon marketplace seller (a very small one), so not necessarily the same situation but probably relevant. I put an item (not a dvd btw) in my wish list. It was selling for $10 with no shipping cost. I decided to buy it the next day, and the price had gone up to $13.95 still with no shipping. I actually sent the seller a message saying "What gives? Almost 40% increase in about twelve hours? Did Amazon happen to alert you that the item had been wish listed?" I got a reply saying that Amazon does not give her any wish list info. She explained that she usually decreases prices from Friday through Monday. I believed her, but it had been coincidental enough that I felt justified questioning it. Likewise, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Amazon were manipulating their own prices based on wish lists and probably a myriad of other factors. I'm not saying they are, but to just assume they aren't is pretty naïve.
Old 03-22-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I sell items through Amazon, not a major dealer by any means but I have sold popular items and I've never been contacted about my listing for any reason.