Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

a truly amazing string of No.1 albums by - BRITNEY SPEARS!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

01: ...Baby One More Time - 1999 (No.1)
02: Oops!... I Did It Again - 2000 (No.1)
03: Britney - 2001 (No.1)
04: In the Zone - 2003 (No.1)
05: Blackout - 2007 (No.2)
06: Circus - 2008 (No.1)
07: Femme Fatale - 2011 (No.1)

That's an amazing string of No.1 albums! Aside from "Blackout," every studio album reached the summit of the Billboard Top 200, and aside from The Beatles, I don't believe any person or group as achieved this!

It's quite an accomplishment for a girl who really can't sing.
Old 03-08-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: a truly amazing string of No.1 albums by - BRITNEY SPEARS!

Album chart positions stopped being relevant right about the time Spears started charting. Coincidence?!
Old 03-08-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's face it, she has far exceeded what any of us predicted she would in 1999.

I don't like her or think she has talent, but there is a whole generation of people in their late teens/early 20's who see the woman as a legend, they see her as their Madonna/Michael Jackson. You don't believe me? Go to other message boards. People still claiming she's a fluke in 2013 when many of her rivals have long plunged off the charts are as bad as those who in 2000 were still saying the same thing about Madonna because in 1984 they thought she'd last a year or two tops. To a lot of people born in the 1990s, she's looked at the same way people my age look at MJ, Madonna and Prince. Maybe that says that their age group was deprived or something, but regardless... it shows how big Britney was in her day and how special her fanbase views her.
Old 03-08-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evidently she's making more money now than ever. Mentioned in the same category as Oprah is amazing in itself.

http://www.toofab.com/2013/03/08/tay...t-people-earn/
Old 03-08-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Doing what? She's not touring, no one's making money off CDs. she's not an actress. Where's the money coming from?
Old 03-09-13, 06:42 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I was confused too, so I googled the answer. The Forbes 2012 salary numbers come from income generated from June 2011 to May 2012. So for Britney, this includes her X Factor money, Album sales, Tour, and perfume line.
Old 03-09-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Let's face it, she has far exceeded what any of us predicted she would in 1999.

I don't like her or think she has talent, but there is a whole generation of people in their late teens/early 20's who see the woman as a legend, they see her as their Madonna/Michael Jackson. You don't believe me? Go to other message boards. People still claiming she's a fluke in 2013 when many of her rivals have long plunged off the charts are as bad as those who in 2000 were still saying the same thing about Madonna because in 1984 they thought she'd last a year or two tops. To a lot of people born in the 1990s, she's looked at the same way people my age look at MJ, Madonna and Prince. Maybe that says that their age group was deprived or something, but regardless... it shows how big Britney was in her day and how special her fanbase views her.
I think that only occurs in the gay community, who love flashy sexy female singers for some reason, and love to glorify them far beyond what they deserve. I personally don't know anyone who regards her the way you describe, despite having worked in a college for the last 16 years. In fact, I can't recall the last time her name came up in any conversation regarding music.
Old 03-09-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I think that only occurs in the gay community, who love flashy sexy female singers for some reason, and love to glorify them far beyond what they deserve. I personally don't know anyone who regards her the way you describe, despite having worked in a college for the last 16 years. In fact, I can't recall the last time her name came up in any conversation regarding music.
Not sure if it's all gay men but surely some of them are, but on another message board I post at where pop is more glorified than it is here... there are a lot of people in the 17-25 age group that looks to Britney, Beyonce and even Spice Girls with the same reverence people my age group looks fondly back at MJ, Madonna, Prince, George Michael, Duran Duran, etc... because its the pop music they grew up with. To someone who is 19-20, Britney's been part of their lives since they were 5-6 years old, she's special to them and there's a huge bond between those who grew up with her and her to this day much like how I was a little kid when Madonna and Janet Jackson both hit it big and to this day I still look at them fondly and still have interest in their new music.

I really don't "get" the Britney thing to be honest (although I admit to liking Toxic and Womanizer)... Beyonce and Christina have better voices, Gaga as much as I hate to say it has a more interesting image, and plus the whole not-singing live, no-instrument playing, no-songwriting etc... thing turns me off to her, but there is a whole generation out there now that looks to Baby One More Time the same way my age group looks to Billie Jean and When Doves Cry. It's sad but it seems to be the way it is. So when you see people like that, you realize why Britney still has the ability to have #1 albums and have successful tours.
Old 03-11-13, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the string of #1's... you can argue the same for Eminem who has been around exactly as long as Britney and only one #2 album is to his name so far... and unlike Brit, he even took a Greatest Hits cd to the top whereas Britney's first Greatest Hits stalled at #4 and her second only peaked in the 20's.
Old 03-11-13, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

When it comes to #1s you have to consider the competition at the time. Often one album will park itself at the top spot so other obvious #1s are locked out. Likewise, lack of decent competition can elevate lesser deserving albums to the the top spot. You really need to analyze the top five over a several week period to determine the true nature of what's really going on.
Old 03-11-13, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the string of #1's... you can argue the same for Eminem who has been around exactly as long as Britney and only one #2 album is to his name so far... and unlike Brit, he even took a Greatest Hits cd to the top whereas Britney's first Greatest Hits stalled at #4 and her second only peaked in the 20's.
Except Eminem is widely regarded as one of the best rappers of all time.
Old 03-11-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Except Eminem is widely regarded as one of the best rappers of all time.
Did I say anything bad about Eminem? Did I? Did I?

No, I was using him as a counterexample since the OP said Britney was the only artist who has been around this long and has only had #1's and one #2 album in her discography... when Eminem has been around just as long (both of their debut albums came out in 1999) and has had the same type of success. It isn't even like I was bashing Em, I even pointed out that he could get soundtracks and Greatest Hits albums to #1 and Britney couldn't. So why play all defensive? I effing hate when people read into things I didn't write. I was pointing out to the OP that he's had the same!

And seriously.. I am not a Britney fan but seriously its time for people to get over their rock snobbery against her (and to clarify, I would rather listen to rock than listen to her, Rihanna, Katy, Kesha, etc...... but I realize her place). 1999 is longer ago in the past than you realize. Like I said before to Numanoid, I actually know people in their teens and early 20's who were very young when she first hit who believe it or not look to Britney exactly the same way those of us who were kids in the 80s look at Michael Jackson. To a whole generation of people who are now young adults, Britney is that barometer of superstar that they've never seen anyone else match. The whole "teen princess" thing is kinda long over when the artist in question is in her 30's now... we're forgetting that because we're older and the years fly by faster that to another generation of people this is their entire lives. This is 2013, 1999 was 14 years ago... longer ago than you realize. A 21 year old was 6-7 when she first hit so we actually now have a whole group of young adults who have grown up with her. Some of us look at it like she's still a new artist who has been around for three years and needs to just go away already.
Old 03-11-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did I say anything bad about Eminem? Did I? Did I?

No, I was using him as a counterexample since the OP said Britney was the only artist who has been around this long and has only had #1's and one #2 album in her discography... when Eminem has been around just as long (both of their debut albums came out in 1999) and has had the same type of success. It isn't even like I was bashing Em, I even pointed out that he could get soundtracks and Greatest Hits albums to #1 and Britney couldn't. So why play all defensive? I effing hate when people read into things I didn't write. I was pointing out to the OP that he's had the same!
Dude, not for nothing, but it looks to me like you read into things he didn't write! He didn't say anything bad about Eminem - he actually made a comparison between Eminem and Britney Spears, with Em coming up roses!

nothingfails, you need to relax! What is mind? no matter. What is matter? never mind.
Old 03-11-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nothingfails - The final comment in his post was "for a girl who can't really sing", and then you compared her success to Eminem's.

I confess that I didn't even read what you wrote because your rant was too long.