Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kickstarter: Rifftrax wants to Riff Twilight

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know many of you like MST3K and Rifftrax:

RiffTrax recently did a poll of the Worst Movies of All Time. The clear winner: the dopey, sappy, sparkly vampire-and-werewolf romance known as... the*TWILIGHT*saga.*

And what does TWILIGHT need more than anything else?

A good Riffing, LIVE, before a massive audience in a one-night event in movie theaters nationwide.*

We want to do our Mystery Science Theater 3000-style funny commentary for TWILIGHT, broadcast LIVE over hundreds of movie screens in August 2013. This Kickstarter is to help obtain the rights to TWILIGHT for that event!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-in-theaters-n
Old 03-06-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Kickstarter: Rifftrax wants to Riff Twilight

Fuck. I might actually see a Twilight film in theaters...
Old 03-06-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

This has been discussed in the MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic thread in the dvd sub forum. Long story short, they've already obliterated their fund raising goals and it'll basically come down to whether or not Lionsgate accepts their offer. I not, I guess they'll just go to the next movie on the poll results and make an offer to it's respective studio.
Old 03-06-13, 09:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The idea that this is the "worst movie of all time" is laughable, but that said it's odd that none of the Kickstarter choices include tickets to the showing in your area.
Old 03-06-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The idea that this is the "worst movie of all time" is laughable, but that said it's odd that none of the Kickstarter choices include tickets to the showing in your area.
At this point, they don't know where it will be showing, or if it will even be shoiwng in your area. I know that of the 4 or 5 of these they've done so far, none were anywhere near me. They actually address that on the kickstarter page.

Originally Posted by Rifftrax
The other challenge to this Kickstarter is that we are unable to do the most obvious thing: pre-sell actual movie theater tickets to the August 2013 live show. The reason for this is that we can't control which theaters will pick it up, and the logistics of pre-selling tickets to hundreds of various theater chains is pretty near impossible.
Old 03-06-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Meh. I like Rifftrax but don't see the appeal of having it live. Just record a track and be done with it.
Old 03-06-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea that this is the "worst movie of all time" is laughable
You know I've seen you defend these films a few times now. I've never watched them, as there are too many great films to see in this world to waste time on stuff like this. I caught a few minutes of one on TV, it was at like a softball game and it was childish, silly stuff, so I never will see them. But in a few different threads now I've seen you taking various 'soft' defenses of the films when they were being criticized by people. Stop beating around the bush and just confess your love for the films or something.

TL;DR - Groucho is a 'Twilight' fan...

Old 03-06-13, 03:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

To be fair, it's very romantic, plus there is some mild horror and action elements in there too.
Old 03-06-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

To be fair, it's very romantic, plus there is some mild horror and action elements in there too.
This is the slippery slope in action. First two dudes can get married and then Groucho wants to make Twilight one of his sister-wives.
Old 03-06-13, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen Rifftrax live. It's fun, but really no different than watching it at home (except the screen is bigger).
Old 03-06-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just record it as an mp3?
Old 03-06-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Meh. I like Rifftrax but don't see the appeal of having it live. Just record a track and be done with it.
They already have a studio riff of Twilight one can buy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ZleC_rLJdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by The Bus
Of the live show? That would be a nice perk for people donating. At these live events there are also shorts, guests, banter and sometimes music, but they could edit it down to just the movie.

I kicked in $10, so I'll at least get the shorts. They've raked in even more dough since I posted in the other thread, but I still don't see Lionsgate biting.
Old 03-06-13, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Of the live show? That would be a nice perk for people donating. At these live events there are also shorts, guests, banter and sometimes music, but they could edit it down to just the movie.
A download of the live show is one of the rewards.
Old 03-06-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
A download of the live show is one of the rewards.
Oh, yeah. Duh. My mind was on mp3s and The Bus's question, so I was thinking of one from the live show that you could sync at home with a DVD. Totally forgot about the video download.
Old 03-26-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a heads up that today is the last day of the campaign, if you want to contribute.

The Veronica Mars Kickstarter got tons of press (rightly so), but it still wows me that this one has taken in nearly $250,000.
Old 03-26-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Serious question: Are people so incapable of making their own jokes during movies that they have pay someone else to do it for them?
Old 03-26-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

How dare you question the value of RiffTrax and MST!
Old 03-26-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Serious question: Are people so incapable of making their own jokes during movies that they have pay someone else to do it for them?
I know, right? That's what I've been saying for years. Also, every time someone I know wants to go see stand-up I try to convince them to just write their own jokes. Saves them a ton of money. And sitcoms? F that! My family and I just sit around in the living room and throw one liners at each other. The best part is that we never have to sit through commercials. And don't even get me started on the time my best friend tried to get me to go see The Hangover with him. Let's just say that he's now my former best friend.
Old 03-26-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Serious answer: Professional comedy writers tend be be much funnier than people who think they are funny.

I've been to a couple of their live shows and have had a blast each time. I tend to enjoy comedies much more in a theater.
Old 03-26-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
Serious answer: Professional comedy writers tend be be much funnier than people who think they are funny.
Exactly. What's funny in your house with your buddy would probably go over like a lead balloon in a packed theater of real people.
Old 03-27-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
On a tangential note, if I enjoy a commentary on a DVD that I have, can I rip I and put it into iTunes to listen to it?

I'll be honest, I'm single, so I've never had anyone to drag me to Twilight, and I have no interest.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-27-13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
On a tangential note, if I enjoy a commentary on a DVD that I have, can I rip [it] and put it into iTunes to listen to it?
iTunes can't rip an audio track from a DVD, and it's off-limits to discuss ripping commerical DVDs on this forum, due to the copy protection.
Old 03-27-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I know, right? That's what I've been saying for years. Also, every time someone I know wants to go see stand-up I try to convince them to just write their own jokes. Saves them a ton of money. And sitcoms? F that! My family and I just sit around in the living room and throw one liners at each other. The best part is that we never have to sit through commercials. And don't even get me started on the time my best friend tried to get me to go see The Hangover with him. Let's just say that he's now my former best friend.

I sent my $10 in for the Kickstarter yesterday. I don't imagine they'll really be able to get the Twilight folks to agree, but a quarter of a million bucks isn't exactly chump change.
Old 05-22-13, 03:09 PM

They weren't able to get the rights to Twilight, as most expected. But they will be riffing Starship Troopers

Greetings loyal Kickstarter backers and/or confused spouses who share email addresses with our loyal Kickstarter backers!

Let’s cut to the chase: we have bad news and we have great news. The bad news? We were unable to secure the rights to Twilight for our live show. (Remember, we have great news in just a paragraph or two, so don’t break out the pitchforks just yet.) We had long talks with the folks at Summit, who turned out to be very nice people and not Volturi-like in the slightest. They understood what we wanted to do and didn’t object to the idea. They just felt that the Twilight series is still very much a going concern for them, i.e. something that’s still going to earn them millions and millions more dollars, and it didn’t make sense to let a few guys crack jokes on top of it - at least not this summer. They’re probably right, dag nabbit, and they did leave the door open for us riffing Twilight in the future.

We knew this was a risk going in, which is why we were simultaneously talking with other studios about backup plans. Which brings us to the great news. We have acquired the rights to another movie for the August live show and it’s a darn good Plan B. Heck, it’s not even really a Plan B, we consider it more of a Plan A-1.5, Subsection C. For our August live show we will be riffing...

STARSHIP TROOPERS.

We’re excited about this for a number of reasons: It’s big. It’s goofy. It’s got giant bug aliens. Folks have been asking us to do this movie ever since we riffed excerpts of it on the 1998 MST3K Blockbuster Special. And IT’S FREAKING STARSHIP TROOPERS! It’s basically a cheesy 50s sci-fi flick, the kind we know and “love”, but made in 1997 with a massive Hollywood budget! NEIL PATRICK HARRIS as a psychic who talks to giant bugs! DENISE RICHARDS as a brilliant starship pilot, before she was a brilliant nuclear scientist in that Bond movie! MICHAEL IRONSIDE, because it’s a war movie, so of course Michael Ironside! JAKE BUSEY, hanging out and making it weird! This movie’s got it all!

Getting Starship Troopers is especially exciting because it’s owned by Sony. Thanks to you guys, we now have a relationship with a great big studio, which we’re incredibly excited about going forward, because of the fantastic potential. They’ve got shelves and shelves of fun, famous movies we’d love to sink our teeth into, and we can’t wait to see what doors this opens in the future. And we couldn’t have done it without you.

Now that we’ve established the title, here’s some more info about the live show:

It is going to take place on Thursday, August 15th. Once again we’ll be performing at the Belcourt Theater in Nashville. Tickets are not on sale yet, but we’ve worked out an arrangement with the Belcourt to make sure that you guys, our Kickstarter backers, get the first opportunity to buy live show tickets. We will be sending out more information as the on sale date approaches.
In the interest of full disclosure, we want to let you know that while we are thrilled to be doing Starship Troopers, working with a big studio is more complicated than how we usually do things on our own. For instance, negotiating the rights to riff a movie live in a theater is not the same as negotiating for the digital distribution rights of said live show. They are two different departments and what works for one may not work for another. We know that the digital download of the live show was one of our most popular rewards choices and are going to do everything in our power to be able to deliver the reward. But we have not secured these rights as of yet, and there’s a chance that Sony may not let us do this. Hopefully it won’t be an issue. If for any reason we’re unable to deliver the digital download, we will of course offer up what we hope is a reward that is more than a fair substitute. You will be kept in the loop as this develops, and we may even run ideas by you if we’re forced to choose a new reward.

So like we said, we feel like this is great news, and we hope you do too. We’re excited about taking on this modern alien war epic of infinite cheese, splattering the Arachnids all over the screen alongside a crew of impossibly attractive young Hollywood stars. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments or send an email to [email protected]

And as a final note, we’d just like to thank you again for taking this journey with us. We think we’ve made something special happen here, and are excited about what opportunities it might open in the future. And we couldn’t have done it without your support.

So strap on your stompiest bug-stompin’ spaceboots, Roughnecks, it’s going to be a hell of a show
Old 05-22-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's pretty cool. I thought they were going to end up riffing The Room or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.