Reload this Page >

Electronic Arts is a Saint!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-27-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bitched and moaned about all of the stupid shit EA does on this sub forum before, but I want to roll it all into one thread with this news.

Originally Posted by The Verge
Microtransactions have become an increasingly important part of the gaming landscape, and it looks like EA is embracing the concept with open arms. EuroGamer reports that Blake Jorgensen, the company's CFO and executive vice-president, discussed the tiny transactions at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, & Telecom Conference yesterday — saying EA would be adopting them in all of its upcoming titles. "The next and much bigger piece is microtransactions within games," he said when asked about the company's digital revenues. "We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level, to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

He went on to explain that EA has built a new back-end system to process the transactions, a departure from its previous efforts. While plans for specific games weren't detailed, the emphasis on microtransactions — as well as EA's new unified login system — make it clear that EA sees its digital initiatives as important not only to consumers, but to the company's bottom line as well.
Source

Fuck you, EA. Fuck you.

Valve makes microtransactions work because it doesn't affect gameplay, i.e. F2P games like Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2. The gameplay stays the same, but you can spend as much as you like purchasing hats to your heart's content. DLC is one thing, but microtransactions are entirely different.

Microtransactions are one of the reasons why I've stopped downloading and purchasing games on the iOS (and EA is a huge offender of this on the mobile platform). You can really only "continue" the game if you continue to pay for it... even if you've already purchased the game. I've already stopped purchasing EA games due to their piss poor customer service and the abortion that is Origin, but this guarantees I'll never be a customers of theirs again.
Old 02-27-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Electronic Arts is worse than Satan.

I fucking love this game
Old 02-27-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Valve makes microtransactions work because it doesn't affect gameplay, i.e. F2P games like Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2. The gameplay stays the same, but you can spend as much as you like purchasing hats to your heart's content. DLC is one thing, but microtransactions are entirely different.
That's not necessarily true, you can buy items and weapons in Team Fortress 2, can't you? If not directly, then also by buying pieces to use to craft items. They most definitely let you spend money on things that affect gameplay.

EDIT: Just logged in to TF2, you can most definitely buy weapons directly. So I guess Valve is evil too.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-27-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

All things considered, I still prefer declining to pay for optional game DLC to eternal torment and damnation.
Old 02-27-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened this thread hoping it was satire. I'm disappointed.
Old 02-27-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's not necessarily true, you can buy items and weapons in Team Fortress 2, can't you? If not directly, then also by buying pieces to use to craft items. They most definitely let you spend money on things that affect gameplay.

EDIT: Just logged in to TF2, you can most definitely buy weapons directly. So I guess Valve is evil too.
Yes, but the game also drops you said items as you play. If you wanted the weapon right away, you could pay for it. However, you can wait for it and chances are you'll get it sooner rather than later.

I've never paid for items in TF2 and I've managed to do just fine in the game.
Old 02-27-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So in the future madden game, you'll have to pay extra for the football.
Old 02-27-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^That is the same thing EA does in games like BF3, BF:BC2, and Burnout Paradise. In the first two they sell unlocks so you can have early access to all weapons or tools for specific classes or the like. In Burnout they sell an unlock all token. Players can earn everything still without paying or they can pony up if they don't feel like they have the time. I actually find this reasonable. You aren't hitting a pay-wall. If this happens to change on console games in the future then I can see a problem with it, otherwise whatever.
Old 02-27-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
So in the future madden game, you'll have to pay extra for the football.
Negotiate new contracts using real money. Pay extra to go over the salary cap.
Old 02-27-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, but the game also drops you said items as you play. If you wanted the weapon right away, you could pay for it. However, you can wait for it and chances are you'll get it sooner rather than later.

I've never paid for items in TF2 and I've managed to do just fine in the game.
Ok, but that's still contrary to your initial defense that purchasable items don't affect gameplay. I last played when the Man vs. Machine stuff came out, but I didn't get many drops at all.

Until EA actually has a game out there where you can buy a competitive advantage in multiplayer, who knows if they're going to actually do anything different from other companies out there. Especially if they just end up being cosmetic items or single player enhancements, or the same as TF2 where the items are obtainable via other means in game.
Old 02-27-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

But then, they announce something like this and get some credit back: http://kotaku.com/5987445/ea-is-host...hts-and-gaming
Old 02-27-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Fuck you, EA. Fuck you.
People that play free-to-play games and buy in game content are to blame. I know it's easy to hate on the big bad gaming company but EA is just adapting to a changing landscape.

Originally Posted by shumway
^^That is the same thing EA does in games like BF3, BF:BC2, and Burnout Paradise. In the first two they sell unlocks so you can have early access to all weapons or tools for specific classes or the like. In Burnout they sell an unlock all token. Players can earn everything still without paying or they can pony up if they don't feel like they have the time. I actually find this reasonable. You aren't hitting a pay-wall. If this happens to change on console games in the future then I can see a problem with it, otherwise whatever.
I'm on the fence. First I don't have a problem avoiding said content. I'd rather earn it in game. On the other hand, something like Burnout gives a distinct advantage in online play. It's going to take me weeks to unlock the best car in the game while someone else has it on day one. It does make for lopsided play. If they can pool DLC buyers together for online play and then pool everyone else, that might help.
Old 02-27-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

Haven't they done this for awhile? Doesn't bother me. I never buy the stuff.
Old 02-28-13, 02:33 AM

The only EA game I currently play is the FIFA series. As long as its just extra stadiums, balls, kits, or other cosmetic things, I don't care.

The only time I spent real cash on in-game purchases was for Diablo3. I spent $10 bucks to get "uber" gear, but ultimately it lessened my enjoyment of the game due to not needing to earn better items by actually playing.
Old 02-28-13, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Adken
The only EA game I currently play is the FIFA series. As long as its just extra stadiums, balls, kits, or other cosmetic things, I don't care.

The only time I spent real cash on in-game purchases was for Diablo3. I spent $10 bucks to get "uber" gear, but ultimately it lessened my enjoyment of the game due to not needing to earn better items by actually playing.
You probably wouldn't have gotten any good drops for your character in D3 anyway. I sure as hell didn't. The handful of decent equip I found went to friends.

I was really tempted to buy VC in NBA 2K13 when they had the 50% off sale... The main problem with the microtransaction crap is that companies will make it harder to earn stuff so you are more tempted to just spend cash. I think it was $2 for 10,000 VC in NBA 2K13 when it was on sale. To earn 10,000 VC in game you would have to play about 33 games... Hell I managed to stock pile 40,000 VC from just playing online but that wasn't even close to enough VC to max out my character. I think I've earned about 55,000 VC so far and I still probably need another 55,000 or more lol

Last edited by Krayzie; 02-28-13 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 07:51 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

having the ability to buy in game items is one thing....I am more worried about things like the double XP for Gears...or XP boost in EA games. Might not be a big deal for a shooter, but the first time a game like Dragon Age is designed to be brutally hard unless you buy the xp boost...I am out.

I also worry about the rumored price of 70 bucks for EA games next gen.
Old 02-28-13, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
having the ability to buy in game items is one thing....I am more worried about things like the double XP for Gears...or XP boost in EA games. Might not be a big deal for a shooter, but the first time a game like Dragon Age is designed to be brutally hard unless you buy the xp boost...I am out.

I also worry about the rumored price of 70 bucks for EA games next gen.
They'll probably just sell a weapon / armor pack that boost your attributes so you don't get slaughtered!

Hell 2K sports sells a $25 jewelry set for NBA 2K13 that boosts your players attributes lol
Old 02-28-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine with this.

Doesn't affect me at all.
Old 02-28-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Death of the unlockable
Old 02-28-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not as of yet though. For the moment it is the shortcut to the unlockable. This doesn't mean it won't become that, just not as of yet.
Old 02-28-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They wouldn't keep doing it if people weren't using it.

We can say it's gross all we want, but until you go kick someone in the dick when they hit the button on one of these microtransactions, all the bitching in the world won't change a thing.
Old 02-28-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Ok, but that's still contrary to your initial defense that purchasable items don't affect gameplay. I last played when the Man vs. Machine stuff came out, but I didn't get many drops at all.

Until EA actually has a game out there where you can buy a competitive advantage in multiplayer, who knows if they're going to actually do anything different from other companies out there. Especially if they just end up being cosmetic items or single player enhancements, or the same as TF2 where the items are obtainable via other means in game.
I've never encountered drops anytime I've done co-op on TF2, only when I'm playing the rest of the game modes. That might be Valve's doing as all your focus should be on the co-op game and not checking your inventory.

If EA's recent release of Real Racing 3 on the iOS is any indicator, you'll have to pay to enjoy the game. It's a shame as all of the commenters mentioned that they would've rather paid $4.99 - $19.99 on the game rather than have a F2P with microtransactions model.

Originally Posted by chuckd21
We can say it's gross all we want, but until you go kick someone in the dick when they hit the button on one of these microtransactions, all the bitching in the world won't change a thing.
This is 'MERICA, I'll bitch and moan all I want.
Old 02-28-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Gotta agree. I LOVE the Dead Space franchise, but the stuff they want you to pay extra for, after the $60 price tag, is a complete joke. Want your little scavenger robot to pick up more loot? That's extra money. Want a cool gun? That's extra money. It's ridiculous. On principle alone I will never, ever buy any of this stuff. It's one thing to charge for some big expansion DLC, but nickel and diming gamers to death for every gun and suit disgusts me.
Old 02-28-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've never encountered drops anytime I've done co-op on TF2, only when I'm playing the rest of the game modes. That might be Valve's doing as all your focus should be on the co-op game and not checking your inventory.

If EA's recent release of Real Racing 3 on the iOS is any indicator, you'll have to pay to enjoy the game. It's a shame as all of the commenters mentioned that they would've rather paid $4.99 - $19.99 on the game rather than have a F2P with microtransactions model.
Most mobile games seem to be going with a similar model, so it's not just EA. That's a weird one to pick out though, since user reviews have it at 4 1/2 stars for iOS and 4 stars on Android. People seem to love it, and this IGN reviewer said he did just fine without paying.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...acing-3-review

Seems like you're fine with purchasable items for things that would otherwise take time playing to earn, so I don't see the issue. I think that's the key for me, if you can earn it in game somehow it's not a big deal. If it's exclusive to paying real cash, then it sucks.
Old 02-28-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With as fast as Dead Space 3 dropped to $40, they should have just done that from the get go. Then market it as "We gave you the full game for $40 that you can enjoy as it is, but you can also spend some money on micro transactions to unlock the extra stuff if you would like." I'm really not down with micro transactions as it is, but this way it gives people who buy games at launch more incentive to spend a little more on micro transactions since they got the full game at a lower price.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.