TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killing Lincoln -- 2 Hour Movie (Nat Geo) -- Produced by Tony & Ridley Scott

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Killing Lincoln -- 2 Hour Movie (Nat Geo) -- Produced by Tony & Ridley Scott

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJbSgcgJRgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

April 14, 1865. One gunshot. One assassin hell-bent on killing “a tyrant,” as he charged — the 16th President of the United States. And in one moment, our nation was forever changed. This is the most dramatic and resonant crime in American history: the true story of the killing of Abraham Lincoln. From Executive Producers Ridley Scott and Tony Scott, and narrated by Tom Hanks, National Geographic Channel's first ever docudrama, Killing Lincoln, based on the New York Times bestseller, combines re-creations with historical insight in a thrilling chronicle of the final days of President Lincoln and his assassin, John Wilkes Booth.

Starring:
Billy Campbell (The Killing) as Abraham Lincoln

This airs tonight at 8pm ET on National Geographic Channel

Looks really good. I'm a little bit of a history buff, so I'm interested in seeing how this is portrayed.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-17-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-17-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Killing Lincoln -- 2 Hour Movie (Nat Geo) -- Produced by Tony & Ridley Scott

Is this linked to the Bill O'Reilly book? If so, I'm not surprised that Nat Geo kept his name out of the description. He is a horrible person and it would hurt the ratings.
Old 02-17-13, 03:19 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Killing Lincoln -- 2 Hour Movie (Nat Geo) -- Produced by Tony & Ridley Scott

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Is this linked to the Bill O'Reilly book? If so, I'm not surprised that Nat Geo kept his name out of the description. He is a horrible person and it would hurt the ratings.
Yet it's a fantastic book.
Old 02-17-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

It was in the description in the program guide. I wondered if it's the same Bill O'Reilly. No matter - I'm recording it.
Old 02-17-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yup, it's this one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/khbel2p7ou0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-17-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if only Spielberg's movie used the same subject matter
Old 02-17-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

For those with way too much to record tonight, Nat Geo is reairing this on Saturday 3 more times. So 3 chances tonight, 3 more on Saturday.
Old 02-17-13, 10:40 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Any reviews?
Old 02-17-13, 11:01 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume this will be on Netflix in a day or so just like Seal Team Six was.
Old 02-18-13, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was going to be a tv movie. I don't understand what the point of it was. THC (and other channels) has done shows that simulate/recreate/educate pretty much everything that was covered tonight.

Because of it, my mind wandered off a few times, but even for people who casually watch channels that do shows like this, I can't think of anything that was shown in this that hasn't been covered many times before in such a similar way.

I didn't read Bill's book, but if he really just gave a general history lesson that's been covered so many times before, than all the hype he received was undeserved and it sold because of his fame on tv and as an author. Again, I haven't read his book, but if that was it, he didn't really expose anything that hasn't been covered in depth and made available even to people who don't normally study very much history.

I guess I thought, from what I'd heard, Bill found out a lot more specific details through research. If so, I'm not sure they were covered in this program. And if they were, they were minimal.
Old 02-18-13, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, having his name on the cover certainly damaged book sales.

It's amusing to imagine the gnashing of teeth by NYTimes editors every time they have to post their bestsellers list.

Anyway, I'm not watching it since I already know the ending. I'll watch Titanic instead.
Old 02-18-13, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
if only Spielberg's movie used the same subject matter
If Spielberg had titled his movie "Bill O'Reilly's Lincoln", it would have sold more tickets.

However, it would have gotten no Oscar bids, so it's a wash. Steve doesn't need the money.
Old 02-18-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Frankly, I admit I knew little about the Lincoln assassination, so to see the conspiracy and how Seward and everyone around him survive that assault was quite illuminating.
Old 02-18-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Frankly, I admit I knew little about the Lincoln assassination, so to see the conspiracy and how Seward and everyone around him survive that assault was quite illuminating.
I agree. It was also a nice touch hiring Tom Hanks to narrate/host.

BTW, per EW:
All things Lincoln continue to draw audiences: National Geographic Channel’s first factual drama project, Killing Lincoln, set a ratings record for the cable network.

Airing on President’s Day Weekend, the telecast delivered 3.4 million viewers Sunday evening. The highest single telecast viewership in the channel’s history. It’s also 26 percent stronger than another recent headline-drawing NatGeo project, last November’s dramatization SEAL Team Six: The Raid on Osama bin Laden.

Killing Lincoln is based on the bestselling book by Fox News host Bill O’Reilly. NatGeo plans to re-team with the author on an adaptation of another of his historical presidential assassination books, Killing Kennedy, with Ridley Scott’s company once again producing.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/18/ki...ecord-ratings/
Old 02-18-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I take it Oliver Stone will not be hired to narrate 'Killing Kennedy'
Old 02-18-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Haha, I doubt that, though it would be hilarious.

I do wonder who they would hire. Ben Affleck?
Old 02-19-13, 04:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Morgan Freeman!
Old 02-19-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if it shows Lincoln in the Oval Office?

(That's something in Bill O'Reilly's book even though the Oval Office wasn't built until 1909.)
Old 02-19-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol
Old 02-25-13, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
^I take it Oliver Stone will not be hired to narrate 'Killing Kennedy'
He already hired Costner to do it.

Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back and to the left

I finally had a chance to watch this, as I had to wait to catch the re-air on Saturday. Like dolphinboy said, it felt like something The History Channel had done, or would do.

Obviously having Hanks be a part of it raises the level of the production a bit, but putting him on camera felt odd and out of place. I guess they really wanted you to know that they actually got Hanks to do this, in case you don't recognize his voice. I just felt that every time they'd cut to Hanks, it took away from the storytelling. Narrators are better heard and not seen.

Still, it wasn't too bad.
Old 02-25-13, 10:08 AM

For those who have read the book "Manhunt", how much of the story overlaps?