Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

audio problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-00, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help me? I'm currently running an audio cable (read and white plugs) from my DVD player, straight into my HIFI (100 watts per channel!) The problem is though, althought i have a very powerful HIFI - I always seem to have to have the volume turned almost fully up, to get the desired volume when watching a film. I realise that an optic cable from the dvd to the HIFI would enhance the sound but, i'm obviously loosing a large part of the signal. Would it be better to run the audio from the TV to the HIFI (bypassing the DVD?) I realise the sound quality wont be as good, but i might get the volume i want then.........otherwise, I am doing anything wrong??

marty
Old 11-02-00, 10:03 AM

Does your receiver have a Dolby Digital decoder? If so, hook it up with the optical cable. Using the red & white RCA outs, your only getting analog Dolby Pro Logic sound.

Also, running the audio from the TV doesn't make any sense unless your DVD player has an RF output and your hooking up your TV that way. What kind of TV do you have? Does it have S-Video input? If so, hook it up using the S-Video. You'll get a much better looking picture.
Old 11-02-00, 10:36 AM

Cheers for that horatiodude!

My TV does have an S-Video socket.......Is the picture that much better??

So basically - the volume problem I have should be remedied by the optical cable???. I dont think my reciever has dolby digital, but i know it has an input for an Optical cable.
Old 11-02-00, 10:38 AM

Horatiodude,

I also get the problem of delayed sound (the sound is about half a second behind the actors lips, so everything looks like its badly dubbed...!). This only happens on some dics (Scream 3). Whats the problem??

cheers

marty
Old 11-02-00, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You may not have a problem at all. It is normal to have to turn the volume up when using the DVD as opposed to when you listen to CDs or the radio.
I remember reading about this somewhere. Something to do with being able to get a wider range of sounds with a low volume setting.
Old 11-02-00, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving to DVD & Home Theater Hardware forum.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums