The Americans -- "The Clock" -- 2/06/13

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Americans -- "The Clock" -- 2/06/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Episode 2 - "The Clock" (Airs February 6, 10:00 pm e/p) - When Philip and Elizabeth are given an urgent task to plant a bug in Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger's office, they risk exposure when an unwilling maid of the Weinberger home refuses to cooperate. Stan closes in on a member of the Soviet Rezidentura in an effort to uncover the identities of deep cover Directorate S operatives. Written by Joe Weisberg; directed by Adam Arkin.

Read more: Listings - AMERICANS, THE on FX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2KBHgPDAJ

Episode 2 of 13
Old 02-07-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "The Clock" -- 2/06/13

The little spy touches on this show are pretty damn good. FBI Agent neighbor still seems like he's suspicious of Philip, despite not finding anything in the trunk of the car.
Old 02-07-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I really like this show, and I'm hoping it sticks around. The soundtrack, the '80s vibe, the acting, the back & forth between the spies and the feds--all very original and very well done. The guy who plays the FBI neighbor just nails unnerving suspicion. (He was also good in The Truman Show.)
Old 02-07-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed it. I had to laugh though at the end, I said "oh nice Star Wars" about the missile defense plans and my fiancee had no idea what I was talking about(she thought I meant the actual movie Star Wars). She doesn't know her slang terms for 80's defense initiatives I guess
Old 02-07-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't watched the first two episodes ( on DVR) but is this show gonna tie in with the
Spoiler:
Reagan shooting
?
Old 02-07-13, 03:04 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thought episode 2 was a big step up from the pilot. Not sure how long they remain sympathetic if they act like they did in this episode.
Old 02-07-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Haven't watched the first two episodes ( on DVR) but is this show gonna tie in with the
Spoiler:
Reagan shooting
?
I think the show is already past that point in time.
Old 02-07-13, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Thought episode 2 was a big step up from the pilot. Not sure how long they remain sympathetic if they act like they did in this episode.
Yeah me too. The poisoning really showed you how scary these mother's can be. I really hope this show succeeds and gets more viewers eventually. It seems like some people know about but it's still kind of a secret so far. I like the premise it looks like their is a lot of substance and if the show lasts multiple seasons there are a lot of directions it could go. I also like the actors on it as well.

What did everyone think about the whole caviar thing?
Old 02-07-13, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Really good second episode.

Originally Posted by Deftones
FBI Agent neighbor still seems like he's suspicious of Philip, despite not finding anything in the trunk of the car.
I also agree with you about Stan still being suspicious but I don't understand why he shared the caviar with Philip. I feel like this was some sort of test. Or am I just over-thinking a nice neighborly gesture?
Old 02-08-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved this episode. This show is great. My new favorite.

Not sure how long they remain sympathetic if they act like they did in this episode.
What do you mean? They are soviet spies, infiltrated in the USA. I'm sure there were American spies in the URSS doing the same (but let's no think about that). But the show goes beyond that, they show how they are conflicted, the husband wanting to deflect, how much they love their kids and think about them.

The most powerful scene was, of course, this one:

"There's been a misunderstanding between you and your Lord." And later crying with his wife in the car.

You could write essays about this episode.
Old 02-08-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by EEz28

I also agree with you about Stan still being suspicious but I don't understand why he shared the caviar with Philip. I feel like this was some sort of test. Or am I just over-thinking a nice neighborly gesture?
the whole thing seemed like a test. like he's still feeling him out, trying to get more of his backstory.
Old 02-08-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it was a test. A dumb test. Philip is too smart. The only issue is that Philip knows that he's smarter than him. So you know what happens next.
Old 02-08-13, 09:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally watched this, and have to agree it was pretty damn good. I liked the pilot quite a bit as well and this shows no signs of slowing down. Loving the Phillip/Stan dynamic as well. That was a nice scene enjoying caviar and beer in the kitchen, but there was definitely more to it than that.
Old 02-08-13, 10:05 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by EEz28
That's the cool thing about it: Could be either one. Offering caviar to a Russian spy could make him pretty nervous. Or maybe he was just being nice (doubt it)...
Old 02-08-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
the whole thing seemed like a test. like he's still feeling him out, trying to get more of his backstory.
I didn't get the test vibe. Seemed like he got home to an empty house and was looking for a "friend" to hang with for a little while.

While I absolutely loved the premiere I think this one was even better. We got to see that these really are bad people that will do anything for thier country. Also good to see more of the relationship with the children. Philip wants their kids to grow up and be normal while Elizabeth seems to want them to grow up and be harder like the parents.
Old 02-08-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I too enjoyed this ep. more than the premiere. I think it is evident that Stan isn't a pushover and that he and Philip will have this unstoppable force vs. immovable object conflict in the future. While I know TV never works this way, I think this is a series that could benefit from a set number of seasons and a definite ending point planned. I really do think that as time progresses, we will find Philip and Elizabeth more antagonistic and difficult to support. I already have problems seeing them as "good guys", but maybe this series isn't supposed to have any in the traditional sense. I actually like the whole aspect that just because people are villains doesn't mean they aren't capable of love for one another or their children.
Old 02-08-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Spoiler:
Reagan shooting
?
That incident comes up around episode 5 based on an interview I saw.
Old 02-08-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I usually judge show success by the very scientific method of how many posts their threads get. And this worries me. I was expecting to see 40+ posts yesterday.

This is the first show I've gotten "in" on from the beginning in years. It HAS to be successful.
Old 02-08-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Trelach24
I usually judge show success by the very scientific method of how many posts their threads get. And this worries me. I was expecting to see 40+ posts yesterday.

This is the first show I've gotten "in" on from the beginning in years. It HAS to be successful.
Your logic has nothing to do with how popular the show is and whether it will survive. There are plenty of popular, high rated shows that don't get much or any commentary here.

The Americans is only on episode 2 of it's run. Sometimes, especially for this forum, it takes awhile for things to catch on.
Old 02-08-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Frankly, I didn't post because I didn't have much to say about the episode. I enjoyed it.
Old 02-08-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Really enjoyed the second episode. Caught it On Demand last night. The actor who plays Phillip is great, he makes really interesting choices. Reminds me a little of Duchovny on The X-Files. Really interested to see where this is headed.
Old 02-08-13, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trelach24

To add on to what DJariya excellently said is don't worry about the number of posts right now. If this show becomes a hit, gets a bunch of critical claim, awards recognition the number will pick up with all the 'bandwagoners' Then you can brag to them and say you were with this show from the beginning. I'll admit I was late on Homeland, Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Mad Men.
Old 02-08-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Your logic has nothing to do with how popular the show is and whether it will survive. There are plenty of popular, high rated shows that don't get much or any commentary here.

The Americans is only on episode 2 of it's run. Sometimes, especially for this forum, it takes awhile for things to catch on.
Unfortunately, "Do No Harm" has shown us that sometimes you don't get more than two episodes to prove yourself.

This show has piqued my interest and I'm hoping it can last a couple of seasons.
Old 02-08-13, 06:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Frankly, I didn't post because I didn't have much to say about the episode. I enjoyed it.