Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's Your God Now? J.J. Abrams & Valve in talks for game and Half-Life/Portal film.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who's Your God Now? J.J. Abrams & Valve in talks for game and Half-Life/Portal film.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valve and director J.J. Abrams want to make a video game together and perhaps a film based on Portal or Half-Life, Abrams announced with Valve co-founder and managing director Gabe Newell during their storytelling discussion at the 2013 DICE Summit today.

"There's an idea we have for a game that we'd like to work with Valve on," said Abrams. Newell added, "We're super excited about that and we also want to talk about making movies, either a Portal movie or a Half-Life movie."

For most of their 25-minute talk, Abrams and Newell rolled clips of each other's work — Valve games such as Half-Life 2 and Abrams films like Cloverfield — as well as other films, including Die Hard. They focused on similarities and differences between the ways in which films and games tell stories, as well as the successes and failings of both forms in doing so.

"I love the experience of playing your games," Abrams told Newell. The Valve co-founder mentioned a scene from Cloverfield in which a woman explodes, and called it "one of my favorite moments in any of your movies."

At the end of the talk, Newell revealed that the DICE lecture was a public rehash of discussions that he and Abrams already had.

"What we are actually doing here, we are recapitulating a series of conversations going on," said Newell. "We reached the point that we decided to do more than talk."

Update: Polygon spoke with J.J. Abrams following his on-stage discussion with Newell. "It's as real as anything in Hollywood ever gets," Abrams said of the just-announced plans to develop movies based on Portal and Half-Life. "Which is that we are really talking to Valve, we are going to be bringing on a writer, we have a lot of very interesting ideas."
Jesus Christ, J.J. Abrams is really trying to take over the world.

If Newell is on board, I'm on board.
Old 02-06-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Who's Your God Now? J.J. Abrams & Valve in talks for game and Half-Life/Portal fi

We'll probably find out JJ is directing the next James Bond movie in another day or two.
Old 02-06-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Who's Your God Now? J.J. Abrams & Valve in talks for game and Half-Life/Portal fi

I used to think Rashida Jones would be ideal to play Alyx, but she's too old now.

BTW, I'll throw in a request for a Roger Rabbit sequel with Pixar characters. Get on it, Abrams.
Old 02-06-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

3 posts in and no lens flare comment?!
Old 02-06-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
3 posts in and no lens flare comment?!
Maybe in the Portal movie, the portals could be lens flares.
Old 02-06-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They gotta stop with these PC game movies.
Old 02-06-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm still not sold on Abrams as a director but he can produce the hell out of stuff so good for him. Get Matt Reeves to direct a Half-Life movie and I'm sold.
Old 02-07-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Gary Oldman as Gordan Freeman.
Old 02-07-13, 12:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in.
Old 02-07-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope this ends up happening, but i'll believe it when I start seeing people actually being cast.
Old 02-07-13, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
They gotta stop with these PC game movies.
Ordinarily I would agree, but this is Portal we're talking about here.

I'm SO in.
Old 02-07-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Did J.J. get a blood transfusion from Seth MacFarlane or something? Can't he take a breather and just ruin one commercial property at a time?
Old 02-07-13, 05:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Did J.J. get a blood transfusion from Seth MacFarlane or something? Can't he take a breather and just ruin one commercial property at a time?
He really is inconsiderate. Doesn't he know how much time and effort it takes for you to rag on him in every thread?
Old 02-07-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah I didn't even need to check who the post was from. Talk about a broken record.
Old 02-07-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure they'll do what they must (because they can).
Old 02-08-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I'm sure they'll do what they must (because they can).
For the people who are still alive.
Old 02-08-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah I didn't even need to check who the post was from. Talk about a broken record.
In your hearts you all know I'm right.