Supernatural -- "As Time Goes By" -- 1/30/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Supernatural -- "As Time Goes By" -- 1/30/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

SAM AND DEAN MEET THEIR GRANDFATHER - Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) are stunned when a man who claims to be Henry Winchester (guest star Gil McKinney), their grandfather, suddenly appears in their hotel room demanding to know where he can find John Winchester. Henry has time-traveled to stop a demon named Abbadon (guest star Alaina Huffman) and was looking for John's help. Through Henry, Sam and Dean learn more about their father and the Winchester blood line. Serge Ladouceur directed the episode written by Adam Glass (#812).

Episode 12 of 23

BTW, it was announced this week that Felicia Day will return for another episode later this season.
Old 02-01-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- "As Time Goes By" -- 1/30/13

I thought this was a good episode. Was kind of hoping they would keep Henry around, at least for a while.
Old 02-01-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I actually thought they might expand on the show's mythology for once and possibly add a new character. It would have been interesting to see where they took Henry Winchester in the present. The show I imagine in my head for Supernatural is infinitely more entertaining than what we are constantly getting now.

If I was running the show, I would have a younger version of John Winchester plucked from the past and brought to the present for an extended run.
Old 02-01-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by collven
I thought this was a good episode. Was kind of hoping they would keep Henry around, at least for a while.
I agree. He was a pretty good character.
Old 02-02-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I actually thought they might expand on the show's mythology for once and possibly add a new character. It would have been interesting to see where they took Henry Winchester in the present. The show I imagine in my head for Supernatural is infinitely more entertaining than what we are constantly getting now.

If I was running the show, I would have a younger version of John Winchester plucked from the past and brought to the present for an extended run.
This season is a strange beast. It's not bad, but it really just feels like it's spinning the wheels. Where's the big bad? Crowley? That seems a bit of a letdown after prior seasons. When Kripke was showrunner, it always seemed to be building to something epic, but I'm just not getting that feel from it anymore. Again, that's not to say it's become a bad show, but it needs some vitality introduced into it.
Old 02-02-13, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seemed to be a lot of potential here to burn through in just one ep. I suppose the box will pop back up but... it's a box.
Old 02-03-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This was a great episode. Their grandfather was a good addition to the show's mythology and I really liked the idea that there were another level above Hunters in the men of letters. BTW, did anyone else notice that his name "Henry Winchester" means that BOTH of his names are the names of gunmakers? (i.e. the Henry Rifle to go along with Winchester).

Abbadon was a great villain too. Nice touch how they made her up with '50s era styling that practically made her look like she stepped out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
Old 02-03-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Great episode damn shame they didn't keep Henry around.
Old 02-03-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Both Henry & Abbadon-gal were rock solid. Well done ep. Took me a while to remember where she was from: Stargate Universe.
Old 02-04-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was easily the best episode of the season but they still managed to stifle and interesting idea. Magical CIA agents could have been a really cool addition and I kind of liked the "Burn Notice" aspect of the Harry character, but then it was gone before they could really do anything too interesting or invigorating to the series with it.