Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

THE SACRAMENT (2013) (dir. Ti West) (Prod. Eli Roth) (Joe Swanberg, AJ Bowen)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shocktilyoudrop
Worldview Entertainment has provided ShockTillYouDrop.com with your exclusive first look from the Savannah, Georgia set of Ti West's latest film, The Sacrament. The director of House of the Devil and The Innkeepers is teaming up with Eli Roth (Hostel) for this endeavor; the latter is producing and will "present" the thriller when it hits the screen.

Also producing, Jacob Jaffke, Peter Phok and Worldview’s Christopher Woodrow and Molly Conners. West and Eric Newman are executive producing with Worldview’s Maria Cestone, Sarah Johnson Redlich, Hoyt David Morgan and IM Global’s Stuart Ford. IM Global is handing international sales while CAA, which arranged financing for the film, is handling the domestic sale.

Joe Swanberg (V/H/S), AJ Bowen (The House of the Devil), Kentucker Audley (V/H/S), Amy Seimetz (The Signal) and Gene Jones (You're Next) will star.

Plot details for the film are being kept securely under wraps. Check out the still inside which features Bowen. The Sacrament is currently in post-production, stay tuned for more updates.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2383068/
Old 09-12-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: THE SACRAMENT (2013) (dir. Ti West) (Prod. Eli Roth) (Joe Swanberg, AJ Bowen)

a bunch of positive reviews from TIFF:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews...ched-in-dread/

http://www.morbidlyamusing.com/tiff-...the-sacrament/

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/revi...the-sacrament-

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 09-12-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: THE SACRAMENT (2013) (dir. Ti West) (Prod. Eli Roth) (Joe Swanberg, AJ Bowen)

Sounds great. The only turn off for me is the producer, who mostly produces shit. The irony is that West's name likely means more to horror fans than Roth's.
Old 09-13-13, 05:30 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Ti West wrote and directed The Sacrament, the contemporary found-footage thriller that world premiered at Venice before showing at Toronto over the weekend in the fest’s Vanguard section. Magnolia Pictures, which lost on an earlier bidding war here for Joe, is finalizing a deal for the pic reported to be for seven figures. CAA is repping the sale. The latest film from indie director West, whose credits include The House Of the Devil and The Innkeepers, is “presented by” Eli Roth who serves as a producer. It sends frequent collaborators AJ Bowen, Amy Seimetz, Joe Swanberg and Kentucker Audley on a harrowing journey into madness and messianic bloodshed that tweaks the horror genre. Patrick (Audley) is a fashion photographer. When his colleagues Sam (Bowen) and Jake (Swanberg), correspondents for Vice magazine, catch wind of a letter he received from his estranged sister Caroline (Seimetz), they decide her story would be a great subject for a documentary — she’s living in a “sober” commune at an unnamed location outside the U.S. While Patrick reunites with his sister, Sam and Jake investigate why members of the isolated community have followed a mysterious leader they call Father off American soil (think Jim Jones). Understandably skeptical at first, the guys slowly come around to the group’s utopian claims.
Old 09-13-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Found footage? Ugh. I hope they "find" something that looks professionally shot, like TROLLHUNTER or CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.
Old 02-21-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QqDZFMArLjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-22-14, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hell yes!
Old 02-22-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

So excited about this!
Old 05-01-14, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

available via VOD today!
Old 05-01-14, 06:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

$12 for HDX on Vudu. Highest price I've seen for a "pre-release" flick. Still, I'm all over this.
Old 05-02-14, 09:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

This was really good and pretty tense throughout. I think I'll be watching it again before my 48-hour rental expires.
Old 05-02-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks chilling, reminds me of Jonestown.
Old 05-02-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Looks solid, I'll have to add it to my watch list.
Old 05-02-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
available via VOD today!
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely going to be renting this one over the weekend. I love Ti West!
Old 05-02-14, 02:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Looks chilling, reminds me of Jonestown.
That's what I was going to say. Based on the the trailer, it's basically a recreation of the Jonestown massacre set in present day with the names changed.
Old 05-02-14, 10:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Watched it again. This time with my wife. Liked it even more the second time, and she was tense the entire time.
Old 05-06-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

checked this out yesterday and enjoyed it. West is 3 for his last 3 as far as i'm concerned. great tension building throughout and some disturbing scenes during the third act. it's not perfect but it's a solid 4/5 for me.
Old 05-06-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This was a solid movie, but I almost wish they just went ahead and did the Jamestown story -- though I assume there are costs and "taste" issues associated with that. It's weird to derive entertainment from such a terrible event, but it was a really well directed movie - tense and disturbing. The trailer is pretty much the full movie, but it's like a cliff notes version of an intriguing story, it doesn't do it justice. If you haven't seen the trailer yet, don't watch it but I do recommend the movie.

I will admit I didn't like them trying to pass it off as real, as it just seemed a bit distasteful. I honestly don't know why I feel that way but yeah. Otherwise I give this a solid 3.5 out of 5. Recommended.
Old 05-06-14, 01:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

a note from Ti West (about piracy)
I won't quote the whole thing, as it's kind of long, but here's just one part:
WHAT IF THE MOVIE SUCKS? It's true, sometimes things you purchase don't live up to your expectations, and that's definitely a bummer, but let's not sink the entire ship just yet. One time I paid a suggested donation to a natural history museum only to find that the dinosaur section was under renovations. I mean, come on, the dinosaurs are the best part! So, I get it. Ten bucks may not be life changing money, but nobody wants to feel like they were ripped off, or didn't get what they paid for.
Old 05-06-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I loved House of the Devil and the Innkeepers, so I'm very interested in this. I hope it pops up on Netflix soon, or shit, maybe I should save it for the October Horror Challenge.
Old 05-06-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I like Ti West so I'll be sure to check this out at some point.
Old 05-07-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard some negative reviews about the film, so I was hesitant to check this out. Even more so because of how much I've enjoyed Ti West's work.

Just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned, it's not perfect but it hit a lot of the right notes with me. Just the right amount of dread and tension building up to that nutty final act.

The only thing that bugged me was some of the 'shaky cam' stuff. It got physically exhausting after a while, but I guess it fits in with the mood of the film?
Old 05-11-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

This is definitely West's worst movie, I loved the balls it had and almost the entire first half was good (loved the interview with "the father" they really nailed how manipulative people like that truly are) but overall it just fell flat for me.....some bad acting, wasn't really into any of the characters....I don't know just felt like something was missing.
Old 05-12-14, 10:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than The Innkeepers, which was really good but didn't totally work for me. Neither compares to House of the Devil, but The Sacrament is a solid flick, IMO. Its themes and some of its footage really stuck with me.
Old 05-12-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

House of the Devil is my favorite Ti West flick. The Innkeepers just oozed style but the overall film sucked. It didn't know what it wanted to be - a horror or a comedy. Style over substance on that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.