Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Way, Way Back (2013, d: Rash, Faxon, S: Robb, Rockwell, Carell, Peet, Collette)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Way, Way Back (2013, d: Rash, Faxon, S: Robb, Rockwell, Carell, Peet, Collette)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: The Sundance Film Festival has emerged as one of the craziest for deal making in recent memory. After a wild all-night negotiating session following a raucous premiere screening yesterday of The Way, Way Back, Fox Searchlight has emerged as the frontrunner to acquire domestic rights and several other territories. The price tag is around $10 million minimum guarantee, with a P&A and theatrical commitment.

Searchlight was among bidding distributors that include Lionsgate, CBS Films, FilmDistrict, Paramount Pictures, and Warner Bros. Buyers began mobilizing right after the film’s Monday 3:30 PM first screening at Eccles Theatre, and numerous sources have been telling me all night that this has been one of the most spirited auctions in recent Sundance memory.

By the time the deal gets closed this morning, it should also be just about the richest deal ever made at the festival, as the sale of additional foreign territories will raise the value of the deal even higher. The rabid pace of deal making and the high numbers are a surprise to me, because both buyers and sellers expected the films to go in low upfront deals. Then, the buyers started discovering an exceptional crop of films programmed by Sundance.
Written and Directed by Jim Rash, Nat Faxon
Starring - AnnaSophia Robb, Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, Amanda Peet, Allison Janney, Toni Collette, Maya Rudolph, Rob Corddry, Robert Capron, Jim Rash, Nat Faxon

This caught my eye mostly because 1) Most paid for a Sundance film and 2) It's from the oscar-winning Writers of The Descendants, aka these guys:

Old 04-11-13, 02:35 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: The Way, Way Back (2013, d: Rash, Faxon, S: Robb, Rockwell, Carell, Peet, Collett

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hraerUq8On4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-11-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Way, Way Back (2013, d: Rash, Faxon, S: Robb, Rockwell, Carell, Peet, Collett

As far as the coming-of-age genre goes, this looks pretty good.
Old 06-19-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

saw this trailer today before Before Midnight....looks good.
Old 06-25-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

88% so far on RT out of 16 reviews. I think this description is likely apt:

Navigates a crowd-pleasing middle ground between the mopey introspection of Adventureland and the raucous summer antics of Meatballs.
Old 06-25-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that's pretty much what it looks like to me...a more zany version of ADVENTURELAND
Old 06-25-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks interesting. I like Sam Rockwell, and Steve Carell as a jerk is something different.
Old 06-25-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Been looking forward to this one for some time. Looks great!
Old 06-26-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this today and it didn't disappoint. It is my favorite film of the year so far (note: my favorite, not necessarily the "best"). Carrell, Collette, Rockwell all turned in great performances and Liam James is great as well. This is a "smaller" film than The Descendants but it is still well crafted and has enough scenes that turn out slightly different than what I may have expected.

Reminded me of a mix of Little Miss Sunshine and You Can Count on Me.

This should do well if people hear about it.
Old 07-05-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my review from Letterboxd:

I had pretty high hopes going into this movie. It got good reviews at Sundance, I tend to like what Fox Searchlight puts out, and I have a thing for movies that take place in amusement parks / water parks. Luckily, this movie delivered and is currently my favorite so far this year.

Loaded with lots of clever one-liners, laughs, and humor, this film also tells an engaging coming of age story that seems fresh and original amidst today's plethora of remakes and superhero movies. The characters are very well developed and the audience really has a sense for everyone's personality. Well done to Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, who make their directorial debuts (and also star in and wrote the film).

The performances were very strong across the board. It has always been difficult for me to separate Steve Carrell from that 40-Year Old Virgin character I first remember him in, but I had no difficulty buying into his character, who is basically the exact opposite of virgin Andy. The best for me though was Allison Janney, who gives what I believe is an Oscar-worthy supporting performance. She steals the show every time she is on screen. Sam Rockwell, Toni Collette, AnnaSophia Robb, and Liam James are also memorable in their respective roles.

I watched this movie with a smile across my face pretty much the whole time (there are some serious moments after all). I will be buying this on blu-ray and recommend you give it a watch.

Score: 8.5 / 10
Old 07-06-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NYC folks, there's a Q&A with the directors tomorrow related to two showtimes, FYI:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/post/3...-and-jim-rash/

Wish I knew about this today! Womp womp
Old 07-16-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Pissed that I missed the first few minutes, but it's good enough that I'll probably see it again. I got the gist of it, with the 3/10.
Old 07-29-13, 10:58 AM

Saw this on Saturday and both of us really enjoyed it. The ending is excellent. I felt like it could have benefited from being a little bit longer, to flesh out the time that the boy spent at the water park. I know someone of his disposition would have become attached pretty quickly, but a little bit more (and a little more development on the home front) would have made the ending a little stronger.

And Allison Janney's performance, holy shit. She chews up the scenery from the very first scene.

Solid 3.5/4
Old 07-29-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I don't think I laughed too much during this movie, it did keep a smile on my face throughout. Something that stood out to me was that Steve Carell was arguably the best looking person in the movie. Meaning that they really cast this with average, everyday looking people and not sexy up-and-comers. It added some authenticity to the movie which I appreciated.

Also, while this movie definitely took place 'today', there was so much in this movie that seemed purposefully out of date like the car, water park, and even the kids bike. It gave the movie this almost timeless quality which was nice, but a little weird.
Old 07-29-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My girlfriend wanted to watch this, so we caught it on Saturday. Very entertaining, and while I agree it wasn't much on laughs (although the eye patch stuff cracked me up) it was a genuinely sweet movie and well acted all the way around, especially the kids. It was definitely weird to see Carell be a dick in a movie like this, but it worked extremely well.
Old 07-29-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was like "Adventureland" but without the snarkiness. As a "coming of age" film centering on Duncan (a 14-year old teenage boy), it's a little rocky in the beginning, mainly because Duncan is so closed-up emotionally. Duncan's mom Pam (Toni Collette) is being courted by Trent (Steve Carell), and for the summer they are spending it at Trent's beach house, along with Duncan's mother, and Trent's teenage daughter, who finds Duncan's presence to be a drag.

Thankfully the film comes to life, as Allison Janney's "Betty" greets the gang as their next door neighbor with a teenage daughter Susanna (Anna Sophia Robb), who Duncan takes an immediate liking to, but can't sputter any intelligible syllables in front of her at first.

Duncan finds an unlikely father figure in Owen (Sam Rockwell), who somehow manages to run the "Water Wizz" water park nearby the beach house (requires a bike ride to get there for Duncan). Duncan blossoms in unexpected ways over the summer, but also has to confront a familiar situation that his mom hasn't the courage the deal with, so Duncan feels trapped by his circumstances. Truths come out, and relationships are strained.

From the same writing team of Jim Rash and Nate Faxon, who won their screenwriting oscar for "The Descendants", this film is paced well, and filled with enough characters and dialogue to invest into Duncan's predicament and this summer in which he turns a corner, somewhat coming out of his shell.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 07-29-13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked it, despite not being constantly laugh out loud funny, I thought it had a great realism and sweetness to it. Sam Rockwell's character in this movie is my favourite movie character of the year so far - excellent performance, terrific dialogue and extremely entertaining.
Old 07-29-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar

And Allison Janney's performance, holy shit. She chews up the scenery from the very first scene.

Solid 3.5/4
Amen.
Old 07-29-13, 08:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved it.

Reflecting on it, I was amazed that the film took many clichés and tweaked them just enough to make me comfortable with the situation without having to follow-through and complete the cliché. That approach also allowed the film to take unexpected detours.

But it wasn't just the plot; having the d-bag boyfriend played by Carell was a great choice because I didn't want to hate him. He wasn't supposed to be reprehensible; he was just selfish-- and a little too rigid in demanding respect instead of commanding it from Duncan. Carell just has that likeable way about him.

The cast on the whole was great-- but Rockwell knocked it out of the park. Like with Carell, I think he was a good choice because he has that "too cool" attitude that grounded Owen's antics. Another actor probably would have taken him too far from what the film needed.

And I agree with the post about Janney. She really did steal every scene, playing a character we really aren't supposed to like.
Old 07-29-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't think either picture from the first post were actually in the film.
Old 07-30-13, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I don't think those were meant to be production film stills. Seems to me they are photos to illustrate who Rash and Faxon are.
Old 07-30-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chadm
The first one, of Jim Rash, is from "Community." The second one, of Nat Faxon and Lucy Punch, is from "Ben and Kate."
Old 07-31-13, 09:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

i'm seeing this with mom actually in a cushy 55 seat theater she likes tonight. looking forward to it.
Old 08-01-13, 12:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

saw this last night. like others have said, not a comedy, but not a drama per say. just a thoroughly enjoyable film from beginning to end. Faxon and Rash have done it again with this one (after The Decendants). just smiles all the way through.

very heartfelt and real and i swear Toni Collette's facial expressions were just priceless and you could really feel her anguish in some instances.

very nice job directing by the aforementioned Faxon and Rash and writing is just stellar. performance by Sam Rockwell was and i believe will be honored with an Oscar nom just fantastic.

so good!

Old 08-01-13, 12:36 PM

I think several of you bring up some amazing points. A huge, huge portion of why this film works is due to casting, often against type.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
very heartfelt and real and i swear Toni Collette's facial expressions were just priceless and you could really feel her anguish in some instances.
It's not just anguish, but weariness and resignation. She is a world weary woman, particularly in terms of her experiences in relationships. Her facial expression when she was sitting around the fire and sees (with concern about spoilers) two people come around the corner was just perfectly played.

Toni Collette is an amazing actress and really always has been. Her competence was on full display even back in 1994's Muriel's Wedding. It is easy to overlook because of the goofiness of the film itself, but we have the surprising popularity of that film to thank for giving us both Collette and Rachel Griffiths.

Originally Posted by teameck
But it wasn't just the plot; having the d-bag boyfriend played by Carell was a great choice because I didn't want to hate him. He wasn't supposed to be reprehensible; he was just selfish-- and a little too rigid in demanding respect instead of commanding it from Duncan. Carell just has that likeable way about him.

The cast on the whole was great-- but Rockwell knocked it out of the park. Like with Carell, I think he was a good choice because he has that "too cool" attitude that grounded Owen's antics. Another actor probably would have taken him too far from what the film needed.
What if Carrell and Rockwell's casting had been reversed? Both could have played the other's part with great competence, most especially Rockwell. Yet, the film would have been much less strong with that casting.

Originally Posted by teameck
And I agree with the post about Janney. She really did steal every scene, playing a character we really aren't supposed to like.
And yet I did like her, more so as the film reached its closing moments.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.