Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Redbox Instant beta

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Redbox Instant beta

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redbox Instant beta

Anyone else here participating in the Redbox Instant beta?

Yikes. I got in hoping to find a happy medium between Redbox and Netflix. The 4 free rentals and streaming for $8 sounded too good to be true. But while I acknowledge that they're just starting out, the selection is even worse than I expected.

The problem between Netflix, Redbox Instant and Amazon Prime is that almost anything recent is due to their deals with Epix (which obviously must not care too much about their network as they may be making millions with these deals, but killing the merits of subscribing to their own premium channel at the same time).

So, beyond the Epix stuff, the rest of the selection is beyond crap compared to both Netflix and even Amazon. Yes, I know the focus is on movies, but the addition of TV to both Netflix and Amazon really makes it hard for Redbox Instant to compete.

The other thing is the occasional new release movie that makes it into the Netflix streaming line-up. Yes, it's usually just a small independent film like "Butter" as a recent example. But it helps.

At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to stick with Netflix for streaming and Redbox for renting. Despite complaints about even Netflix's selection, it's still far greater than any other streaming service at the moment.

Of course, until Redbox makes an app for consoles, I think that's going to hamper their effort as well. (Think I read that the highest percentage of Netflix watchers were via Xbox 360).

Anyone else join?

Last edited by sbelli; 01-21-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-21-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Redbox Instant beta

While you at it, sign up at www.joinredheadnation.com to earn point towards 1-day dvd rental from RedBox and other cool prize. You must have RedBox Instant subscription in order to participate Redhead Nation.
Old 01-21-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Redbox Instant beta

Redbox is renting Beta tapes now?