Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody think we'll get DVD releases for The Exes or other TVLand shows?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they've been putting them out for Hot in Cleveland (of course) as well as Happily Divorced but am surprised that there isn't even a pre-order up on Amazon for The Exes (which I'm waiting to buy) or Retired at 35 (which I might grab at the right price).

Anybody think I'm jumping the gun or if it's longer than expected to get a season release?
Old 01-20-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Anybody think we'll get DVD releases for The Exes or other TVLand shows?

I wouldn't hold your breath for Retired At 35. It was canceled after season 2. The Exes might make it, since it was renewed, same with The Soul Man.

As a side note, I'm pretty happy as Time Warner finally added TVLandHD to my system. I have this weeks Hot In Cleveland and Happily Divorced sitting on my DVR. I now have all the HD channels I need. No more SD!
Old 01-23-13, 11:56 AM

Retired at 35 is no big loss but I'll never understand why studios just don't license out all those shows (35, last two seasons of Til Death, Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23, Remaining seasons of King of the Hill etc) to some random company like Koch or whatever who'll release anything or the Amazon MOD program.

Heck even a complete season released 4/8 eps per disc made to be sold at dollar stores per disc would be an improvement.

As for The Exes...damn...Inll be disappointed if those don't come out. The only viable option in Canada to buy it is iTunes and I really would prefer not to buy an Apple something and stay out of the iTunes eco-system.
Old 01-23-13, 12:02 PM

Btw thanks for the FYi on Retired at 35!

I didn't get a chance to see it (guess I'll catch it on Netflix or whatever at some point) but it seemed like a good concept and George Seagel is always a comedic pleasure to watch.
Old 07-04-13, 07:16 AM

Wow...guess I'm the only one looking for this. Just did a Google search (again) and this thread came up as the only dvd related result (aside from what looks like bootleg sites).

Meh...I have 7 eps on my dvd/pvr from the first season so I guess that's only three I'll have to buy from iTunes and if Global here in Canada ever gets around to airing S2 I'll have to remember to dvr them all.

Wonder if they (and Fox who are just doing MOD releases of Cleveland Show and Bob's Burgers) realizes they're just encouraging ppl to legally record seasons from TV for free instead of paying for the sets...
Old 07-04-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The limited number of sets that would be sold isn't worth the investment for them, in fact they may lose money. They have the episodes for sale on Vudu and Amazon, I'd keep an eye on those to see if the price ever goes down.
Old 07-04-13, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
The limited number of sets that would be sold isn't worth the investment for them, in fact they may lose money. They have the episodes for sale on Vudu and Amazon, I'd keep an eye on those to see if the price ever goes down.
Neither one of those are in Canada so it's iTunes or nothng.

For The Exes at least they didn't release the series from the start so we know the score however a MOD release program shouldn't be much of a risk. Additionally when they're puttiing out b movies for cable tv titles specificially for release in discount bins I find it hard to believe a retail release would be so dangerous financially for them to do.

For Cleveland Show and Bob's Burgers the whole point of buying a season is that the customer is placing faith in the studio releasing future sets in the same fashion (pressed dvd in this case).

If the studio is going to break that trust then there's little faith in buying future releases. First with King of the Hill and now Bob's Burgers and Cleveland Show I see little point in picking up the first season set of any new series from Fox and I'm reconsidering if I should get new volumes of Family Guy and The Simpsons lest they discontinue those in the future as well.
Old 07-05-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
I'm reconsidering if I should get new volumes of Family Guy and The Simpsons lest they discontinue those in the future as well.
That will never, ever happen. Those are Fox's most profitable properties. Until DVD is completely dead in the water, you have nothing to worry about on that front.