Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount and JJ Abrams developing movie about rise and fall of Lance Armstrong

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-18-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/lanc...aramount-deal/

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot partners JJ Abrams and Bryan Burk are going to make a movie about the epic rise and fall of doping bicyclist Lance Armstrong. They’ve just closed a deal for screen rights to Cycle Of Lies: The Fall Of Lance Armstrong, a proposal for a book that will be written by Juliet Macur for HarperCollins.

Macur is a sports reporter for The New York Times, and he has covered Armstrong for over a decade, through the cyclist’s recovery from deadly cancer to his capturing seven Tour de France title. He has also covered the allegations of doping that Armstrong vehemently denied, before finally falling on his sword in a much publicized interview with Oprah Winfrey (since that three-part program will put Winfrey’s OWN on the map, I’m waiting to read the story on whether or not Armstrong got paid handsomely for his confession).

This is the first fresh new Hollywood feature I’ve heard of since Armstrong went from hero to zero, particularly because he protested his innocence so vociferously. Sony Pictures has long had an Armstrong feature project, but the studio dropped it awhile ago, when Armstrong began his descent from grace. This one had the biker’s pal Jake Gyllenhaal poised to star, and it was clearly meant to tell a heroic story of an athlete who overcame adversity. Now it’s the story of a cheat who will likely pay a high price for his lies. Will Sony resurrect theirs, which had Armstrong aboard, and change the angle? That will be hard. It’s reminiscent of the time that Tom Cruise and Cameron Crowe made a deal with Phil Spector to tell the mercurial producer’s life story. Cruise had Spector’s mannerisms down pat, and they had the music but Crowe told me what they lacked was a good third act. Well, that was provided when Spector was convicted and is serving a prison sentence for the shooting death of actress Lana Clarkson. But Universal, Crowe and Cruise never moved forward with the project. Instead, the film was made by HBO with Al Pacino in the lead role.

Janklow & Nesbit’s Carlo Martinelli & Amanda Schweitzer handled the deal. They were dispatched by the lit agency to Hollywood to be in the center of such deal making undertakings, and they didn’t have to pedal far to peddle this Armstrong tale.
Old 01-18-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Paramount and JJ Abrams developing movie about rise and fall of Lance Armstrong

Does this even need to be made into a theatrical feature? The title of the book alone makes it sound like it'd be more at home as a Lifetime Original Movie.
Old 01-18-13, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Paramount and JJ Abrams developing movie about rise and fall of Lance Armstrong

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Does this even need to be made into a theatrical feature? The title of the book alone makes it sound like it'd be more at home as a Lifetime Original Movie.
was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-18-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah but Lifetime movies all revolve around a female lead character.

It could easily be made as a Television movie, however that format died about 5-6 years ago on the major networks.
Old 01-18-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah but Lifetime movies all revolve around a female lead character.
They can just tell it from the point of view of the "long suffering wife who endured years of abuse and isolation in service of the ego of a horrible, horrible, evil man".
Old 01-18-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

They can just tell it from the point of view of the "long suffering wife who endured years of abuse and isolation in service of the ego of a horrible, horrible, evil man".
Yeah they will tell it from the point of view of his ex-wife and Sheryl Crow
Old 01-18-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Well if they're going to do this at least do it right. Is Aaron Sorkin available?
Old 01-18-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah they will tell it from the point of view of his ex-wife and Sheryl Crow
Naw. They'll likely gloss over Sheryl Crow and shoehorn the ex-wife in events she had no involvement. Make up scenes like him calling her out of the blue trying to rekindle their romance and manipulating her emotions. You know, the kind of crap viewers of The Depression Network will eat up.
Old 01-18-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Naw. They'll likely gloss over Sheryl Crow and shoehorn the ex-wife in events she had no involvement. Make up scenes like him calling her out of the blue trying to rekindle their romance and manipulating her emotions. You know, the kind of crap viewers of The Depression Network will eat up.
I'll watch it if Lindsey Lohan plays Armstrong. She's got the drug use down.
Old 01-18-13, 02:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

ahhh, but think of that glorious shot of lens flare beaming off his one remaining nut!
Old 01-18-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt Saracen as Lance!
Old 01-18-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Working title: Dropping the Ball
Old 01-18-13, 02:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds dope.
Old 01-18-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is stupid.
Old 01-18-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'm already bored.
Old 01-18-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm already bored.
It's not even the biggest sports story of the month, week or day it was released. I don't understand why Hollywood would think people would be interested.
Old 01-18-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tlTr2GSVUGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-18-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Starring Lens Flares.
Old 01-18-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
ahhh, but think of that glorious shot of lens flare beaming off his one remaining nut!
You know, it's pretty sad when you see new a thread with JJ Abrams in the title and you enter with the sole purpose of finding the first lens flare comment.
Old 01-19-13, 09:14 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

apparently this movie has been in production for awhile, and a leaked image has hit the interwebs

Old 01-19-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the guy in the background turning away from the blinding lens flare.
Old 01-19-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
apparently this movie has been in production for awhile, and a leaked image has hit the interwebs

hahahahahaha

I'm stealing that.

hahahahahahaha
Old 01-19-13, 11:52 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Who fucking cares???

And then my wife added:

Why is he on a pedestal for riding a friggin' bicycle anyway? So what?

-kd5-
Old 01-19-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Cycling is one of the dirtiest professional sports right now. The guy won 7 Tour De France titles, which is like the Super Bowl for that sport, and he cheated. I can totally see why a Producer would like it would make an interesting 2 hour movie. Personally for me I think the story could be compelling.

I watched an interview on 60 Minutes Sports a week or so ago and they interviewed the lead investigator from the USADA who wanted to bring down Lance. All the stuff he said showed that this guy was shady as hell and not the Mr. All-America the media portrayed him to be.
Old 01-19-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I probably wouldn't give my left nut to see that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.