Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

For what it's worth:http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7308

Titanic and Terminator 2: Judgment Day director James Cameron has confirmed to NPR that he will next helm the big screen adaptation of Yukito Kishiro's anime comic Battle Angel Alita.

"We're in pre-production right now on a project called 'Battle Angel' which is something I've been working on for several years and we're just, we're finishing up the shooting draft right now. We've been designing, it's a big science fiction film and a couple things that will be interesting about this project," he says in the interview.

Cameron added that "the main character, even though it's a live action film, the main character will be done with CG animation and the second thing that's interesting is we're going to be shooting it in 3D using the stereo imagining system that we've been developing for the documentaries.
Old 11-22-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they model it after the books and not the cartoon.
Old 11-23-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds interesting... Its Cameron, so it will be good
Old 11-23-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by REL77
Sounds interesting... Its Cameron, so it will have crappy dialogue.
Fixed.
Old 11-23-04, 04:04 PM

I thought the dialogue in Aliens (been going through the series again recently) was excellent. Ditto his more recent films. Granted, Titanic was cheesy, but it was also a love story. I'll also take "I'm the king of the world!" over "I don't like sand; it's rough and it gets everywhere" any day.
Old 11-23-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cameron gets this complaint, but in general I don't agree. HIs dialogue ain't shakespeare, but he always manages to create interesting, engaging characters, even though his dialogue at times isn't masterpiece, but it surely does work. And that doesn't change the issue that he's a master storyteller and technician, one of the best at shooting action. Aw heck, even if his movies did have shitty dialogue they're still better than most.
Old 11-25-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Get away from her you bitch" > some crap about sand being "rough"
Old 11-26-04, 03:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why does it need to be in 3-D? That's just going to relegate it to the gimmick bin from day one. Still, I'm looking forward to it...in 2007. Well, it's due to come out in 2007, so I'll give it until 2014.
Old 06-14-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000956666

June 14, 2005

Cameron turns to new project

As the clock ticks down toward the December start date of James Cameron's next project, the director is shifting his full attention from "Battle Angel." Although he has publicly identified that film as his next movie, he also is readying a parallel project, tentatively titled "Project 880," according to sources at Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment. Both films would be shot in 3-D with custom-designed high-definition cameras. Whichever film Cameron does next, he also plans to use a photo-real version of the performance capture technology used by Robert Zemeckis on "The Polar Express." Seven years after "Titanic" took the all-time global boxoffice crown ($1.8 billion), the 50-year-old writer-director had said that he plans to return to directing with a big-budget studio picture for 20th Century Fox after producing TV and movie projects ("Dark Angel," "Solaris") and experimenting with 3-D Imax documentaries.
Old 01-18-13, 03:59 AM

Alita: Battle Angel (D: Robert Rodriguez)

What is going on with this project? Seems Cameron is focusing on Avatar 2 and I've heard absolutely nothing regarding BA. Has this film been canned?

If so, perhaps we can get Cameron to make a Macross, Gundam or Escaflowne movie
Old 01-18-13, 07:19 AM
Banned

Re: Battle Angel

Originally Posted by OutRun2

Why in the world would you want Cameron to ruin all of those great shows?
Old 01-18-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's dead. Cameron's going to be working on the Avatar films for the remainder of this decade, and I thought he said in an interview the time to make Battle Angel had come and gone. Honestly, despite being an anime fan, I never heard of Battle Angel until I saw Cameron was interested in making an adaptation of it.

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Personally I would rather see a live action Macross or Gundam movie (and G-Saviour doesn't count!).
Old 01-18-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Escaflowne would work better as a series of films or an HBO series with a bigger than usual effects budget.
Old 01-18-13, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by big e
Honestly, despite being an anime fan, I never heard of Battle Angel until I saw Cameron was interested in making an adaptation of it.
Kids today.
Old 01-18-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Kids today.
Kid? I'm 27 and first heard of this 10 years ago.

I think this is one of those cases like Evil Dead 4 or Phantasm 5 where the director goes on and on about making it and never does. I think if Cameron wanted to make it, he would've made it by now.
Old 01-18-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I haven't heard of Battle Angel either but my knowledge of Japanese cartoons is limited.

And Dragon Tattoo was just teasing you, big e. Lighten up.
Old 01-18-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would love to see it made, but I doubt it'll ever happen.
Old 01-18-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I don't think it's dead, but since Cameron is doing Avatar films for the next 10 years it'll be a long time before Battle Angle ever hits theaters. Last I heard he was just writing it and producing it.
Old 01-18-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I haven't heard of Battle Angel either but my knowledge of Japanese cartoons is limited.

And Dragon Tattoo was just teasing you, big e. Lighten up.
Oh I know he was joking; I just didn't put in an emoticon.
Old 01-19-13, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one takes me back to the HSX days. Boy did this one move up and down.. now just down. I guess.
Old 01-19-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I was at the Titanic DVD press conference 9 years ago and at one point, stood 2 feet from Cameron.

I will always regret not asking him why Battle Angel and not GITS, which IMO would be right up his alley.
Old 01-19-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Escaflowne would work better as a series of films or an HBO series with a bigger than usual effects budget.
I would be down for an Escaflowne series.
Old 01-20-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I think this is one of those cases like Evil Dead 4 or Phantasm 5 where the director goes on and on about making it and never does. I think if Cameron wanted to make it, he would've made it by now.
Whether or not a project gets off the ground often has little to do with the level of interest of the director, and simply if they can get a studio to greenlight it. Convincing a studio to make Battle Angel is likely a lot harder than for Avatar sequels (where I imagine the studio practically begging him to make another).

Whether or not a film project comes together depends on a lot of factors like script, actors, timing, and funding. Sometimes they fall apart just before they're supposed to film (e.g. Darren Aronofsky $70 million version of The Fountain with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett in the lead roles). Sometimes a director can plug away at a film for years and get nowhere (e.g. Shane Caruth and A Topiary).

Thus, most directors juggle multiple potential projects at a time, since they never know which ones won't ever get greenlit, and which ones will.
Old 01-20-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Whether or not a project gets off the ground often has little to do with the level of interest of the director, and simply if they can get a studio to greenlight it. Convincing a studio to make Battle Angel is likely a lot harder than for Avatar sequels (where I imagine the studio practically begging him to make another).

Whether or not a film project comes together depends on a lot of factors like script, actors, timing, and funding. Sometimes they fall apart just before they're supposed to film (e.g. Darren Aronofsky $70 million version of The Fountain with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett in the lead roles). Sometimes a director can plug away at a film for years and get nowhere (e.g. Shane Caruth and A Topiary).

Thus, most directors juggle multiple potential projects at a time, since they never know which ones won't ever get greenlit, and which ones will.

Considering Cameron has carte blanche on any project he wants to make, I doubt funding has anything to do with it. Titanic and Avatar's profits sealed the deal. I guess he wants to continue on the momentum left by Avatar as opposed to starting something new altogether.
Old 01-20-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Considering Cameron has carte blanche on any project he wants to make, I doubt funding has anything to do with it. Titanic and Avatar's profits sealed the deal.
You would think that, and you'd be wrong. Cameron had problems getting Avatar greenlit, and had to fund building the 3D cameras himself:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=atMQxdF2u6WM
No one knows better than he how close “Avatar” came to not being made. Cameron’s track record for delivering large profits on big budgets didn’t stop Twentieth Century Fox, which co-financed “Titanic,” from hesitating to make an even riskier film that required the creation of a three-dimensional alien world...

With the studio balking, Cameron had to turn himself into an inventor-entrepreneur. Using his own funds, he says he developed the technology to bring “Avatar” to the screen, betting that what he saw in his head would be so visually persuasive that, ultimately, he could sell his souped-up camera rigs back to Hollywood at a profit.
Again, Avatar sequels are no brainer for the studio. However, anything different that what was successful previously gives studios pause.

That said, back in September 2012, producer Jon Landau said that Battle Angel will be Cameron's next film after the Avatar sequels, so 5 or so years from now.
http://collider.com/battle-angel/194234/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.