Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Refurbished 360 console?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Refurbished 360 console?

Hey

I may be looking for a used console beciase mine has been acting up. It's the older model and I've fixed the heat issue twice already. Clean the heatsink and did the new Artic Silver compound. I'm not getting the whole screenof weird colors but more like a small band of extra blue particles from time-to-time.

Has anyone got a refurb unit and was pretty much satisfied? I'm actually going to look for a older model since I have a 250gig HD and really don't have the $$$ for a newer model with new HD. So far Gamestop has the best options but wasn't sure if there is another place and can back it up with some warranty (30, 60 or 90 days)
Old 01-17-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Refurbished 360 console?

Not sure if they are still doing it, but gamestop may have a double trade in credit offer going right now. You could trade yours in there and get a new 4GB model. You can keep your 250 GB HDD and use it in the new system. You just need to take it out of the enclosure. You can buy a new enclosure on ebay or Amazon for around $5.

I would not buy a refurbished system from Gamestop due to the fact that most people with systems tittering on the brink will follow my above advice.
Old 01-17-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

I agree. Avoid refurbs. New 4 GB 360s come with a 1 year warranty and are quite inexpensive. And you can use any old 32 GB USB Flash drive for storage so that's a good short-term memory solution

OC : He says he had an older model. I assume that's the kind with an external HDD. If so, you can't use it with the newer models. But those external HDD are unavailable and in high demand, so you might be able to sell that off for a tidy sum if it's pretty large.
Old 01-17-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I agree. Avoid refurbs. New 4 GB 360s come with a 1 year warranty and are quite inexpensive. And you can use any old 32 GB USB Flash drive for storage so that's a good short-term memory solution

OC : He says he had an older model. I assume that's the kind with an external HDD. If so, you can't use it with the newer models. But those external HDD are unavailable and in high demand, so you might be able to sell that off for a tidy sum if it's pretty large.
You can take the drive out of the enclosure and use it in the new slim. That is what I did with my 120 GB hard drive. You need a T screw driver, but it is pretty easy.
Old 01-17-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also Gamestop is still running their double trade in promotion. You can get $110 for a fat system w/ wireless controller.
Old 01-20-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well thanks for th input guys. I'll probably stick with a new system if i ever have to get one. o far this week it's been acting normal. Some days it'll have to be re-started and others not at all.

Has anyone bought directly from Microsoft? I see they have the "White Sytem w/Skylanders" up for sale. My thought was maybe that and then look for a larger HD. My problem here is the high sales tax. Amazon now charges it where I normally buy stuff. Not sure with MS site.
Old 01-20-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Microsoft charges me sales tax in NV, Amazon still doesn't (but will in 2014). The Microsoft store is reliable though. Shipped my games pretty quickly. That white system looks pretty nice. You'll love how much quiteer the slims are.