Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD players with Dual Discrete Optical Pickup

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD players with Dual Discrete Optical Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-00, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend that is looking for a new DVD player. She wants one that has Dual Discrete Optical Pickup which uses seperate lasers for CD's and DVD's. I told her about the Sony DVP-S7700, but the $570 price tag may be more than she wants to spend.

Does anyone know of any other less expensive DVD players that have this feature?

------------------
Now Playing
Old 10-31-00, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have the Sony DVP-S300 (now discontinued) which has the DDOP you mention. I beleive that is what allows it to play CD-R's. As far as I know the Sony DVP-S7700 may be the only one currently on the market. However if there is a connection between DDOP and playing CD-R's then the Pioneer players that play CD-R's may also have this feature. Again I am not positive on this. As far Sony players they are one of the only brands other then possibly the Pioneers that ever had this feature. The only Sony currently on the market that has it is the DVP-S7700.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old 10-31-00, 01:32 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Why do some not need dual pickups? Is it because they're computer-type DVD drives? My Apex can read anything you put in it and I believe it only has one pickup.
Old 10-31-00, 02:12 AM

Although I am not sure of the connection if any regarding CD-R/CD-RW's, as far as music CD's are concerned it reduces the normal wear and tear on the laser as it does not have to be re-aligned every time you switch between a DVD and a CD. If the DVD player only has one laser and you play a lot of music CD's theres more of a chance that something might go wrong with the laser. Of course this is only relevant if you use your DVD player to play music CD's.

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-31-00, 02:39 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
Although I am not sure of the connection if any regarding CD-R/CD-RW's, as far as music CD's are concerned it reduces the normal wear and tear on the laser as it does not have to be re-aligned every time you switch between a DVD and a CD. If the DVD player only has one laser and you play a lot of music CD's theres more of a chance that something might go wrong with the laser. Of course this is only relevant if you use your DVD player to play music CD's.
<HR>

I hope you didn't get a 7700 for CD's just because it has dual pickups. I'm talking CD-R, CD-RW, CD, and DVD. Regular players can handle CD and DVD but they barf on CD-R and CD-RW. Is it just the reflectivity? Is it a conscious manufacture decision?
Old 10-31-00, 03:31 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
I hope you didn't get a 7700 for CD's just because it has dual pickups. I'm talking CD-R, CD-RW, CD, and DVD. Regular players can handle CD and DVD but they barf on CD-R and CD-RW. Is it just the reflectivity? Is it a conscious manufacture decision?<HR>

I don't have a 7700. I have a 300 which is an entry level player that also plays CD-R's and although I have not tried I beleive CD-RW's.

------------------

Old 10-31-00, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out the Pioneers to see if they have this feature. I have a 7700 and it does play all of the CDR's with no problems at all (although this wasn't the only reason that I purchased this model).

------------------
Now Playing