Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you eat at theater?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you eat at the theater?
Yes, I always stop at the concession stand
32.88%
Yes, I go to theaters that serve meals
5.48%
Yes, I sneak in food
27.40%
No, never
26.03%
Only a drink
8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do you eat at theater?

Old 01-11-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Do you eat at theater?

I feel like I've gotten to the point where I HAVE to eat when I go to the theater. No, I'm not a fatass (8% body fat per my latest health screening last month).

I normally frequent a Studio Movie Grill or Alamo Draft House which serve full meals if you want, and I can't remember the last time I didn't eat something when I go to one of those theaters.

When I attend other theaters like AMC I always stop by a sandwich shop and sneak in a sandwich and bottle of water to the theater.

How about you?
Old 01-11-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Do you eat at theater?

I'm pretty sure you asked this question just so you could throw out your impressive body fat statistic
Old 01-11-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually I threw that stat out because I don't want people to think I'm fat because I like eating at the theater
Old 01-11-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Usually I don't eat anything, but every once in a while I will eat a box of Snocaps. When I do I buy them someplace else and sneak them in.
Old 01-11-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I feel like I've gotten to the point where I HAVE to eat when I go to the theater. No, I'm not a fatass (8% body fat per my latest health screening last month).

I normally frequent a Studio Movie Grill or Alamo Draft House which serve full meals if you want, and I can't remember the last time I didn't eat something when I go to one of those theaters.

When I attend other theaters like AMC I always stop by a sandwich shop and sneak in a sandwich and bottle of water to the theater.

How about you?
I always eat something. I typically don't eat a full meal...I get like pretzel bites, or cheese curds, or something along those lines and a soft drink.

I feel like I have to snack on something while I'm watching a movie at home too and it's not always junk food...sometimes I'll eat vegetables, or fruit, or nuts, or something at least somewhat healthy or at least not as unhealthy as some other things. It's almost a psychological thing. I just feel like I have to snack on something.

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

We usually end up getting a small popcorn/drink. Typically results in a medium with the AMC Stubs free upgrade.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

I voted No, never. Though I might do it once every 10 times to the theater.
Old 01-11-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I hate the most is that at my theater I try to order a medium drink and the cashier always punches a few buttons and then says "It's the same price if you just get a large". Then I say "Nah, I only want a medium" and they look at me like I'm the dumbest person on the face of the Earth. Like who is this moron that wouldn't buy a large for the same price as a medium? I've even gone so far as to order the large for the same price but ask them to only fill it up 3/4 full.
Old 01-11-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wasn't sure what option to pick, since my answer is sometimes. Sometimes i'll grab a small popcorn and a drink, sometimes I go to theaters that serve food to you, and other times I don't get anything at all.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

How about you?
we will pick up snacks, but eating dinner, we eat before go to the theater.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About half the time, I'll get a small drink and some Sour Patch kids. The movies are pretty much the only place I ever eat candy.
Old 01-11-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No.
Old 01-11-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Yeah I would've chosen "Sometimes" if it was an option.
Old 01-11-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah. I conserve money by either gobbling down a snack or planning to eat dinner before the show.

And if I ever do get something (I've been known to get a bag of Twizzlers on occasion), I prefer it to be relatively quiet -- both to me and the people around.
Old 01-11-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nvm
Old 01-11-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wasn't sure what option to pick, since my answer is sometimes. Sometimes i'll grab a small popcorn and a drink, sometimes I go to theaters that serve food to you, and other times I don't get anything at all.
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah I would've chosen "Sometimes" if it was an option.
Sorry
Old 01-11-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I got out of the habit of popcorn, usually getting nothing or occasionally something more substantial like a hot dog or chicken nuggets. But my family always gets popcorn so now I'm used to it, and it tastes pretty darn good, even though my teenager demands that we not get buttery flavoring. (Best name I saw in a theater once: "Golden-flavor topping"--like it was so far off that they couldn't even call it "butter flavor.")
Old 01-11-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a movie without eating or drinking something. Usually will bring a bottle of water and some candy, usually gummy bears or if splurging will get a popcorn and icee combo. I guess I am one of those people, although I've never gone to the bathroom during a movie either.
Old 01-11-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

I used to get popcorn/drink at most movies I went to.

Got myself on my old diet for 2013 though, so that goes out the window
Old 01-11-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Second only to the movie itself, popcorn is the reason I go to the theater. Wouldn't see a movie without it.
Old 01-11-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

A number of people in our area rave about the full-meal-plus-booze options in our area. Being a parent, I have yet to try any of those. I wonder about the distraction factor.
Old 01-11-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

Not anymore, but when I lived in Saskatchewan, my neighborhood theater was across the street from a Burger King and I would buy three or four Whooper Jrs to stuff into my coat pockets to eat during the movie. Looking back on it now I must have been an embarrassing spectacle, with hamburger fumes wafting from my aisle. But I was usually drunk at the time so I was less self-concious.

What I hate the most is that at my theater I try to order a medium drink and the cashier always punches a few buttons and then says "It's the same price if you just get a large". Then I say "Nah, I only want a medium" and they look at me like I'm the dumbest person on the face of the Earth.
I'll never buy drinks from the concession stand again because of this. It's so annoying to have to sit through a sales pitch just cause I know I only want to drink a small soda.

The first time it happened the clerk, sounding like he was speaking to a mentally challenged child, went: "This is a small cup... (holds up small cup) And this is a large cup... (holds up large cup) For only twenty-five cents more you can have the large." I realize they are trained/ordered to do this, but I thought he was being a sarcastic jerk so I stormed away from the counter all pisses off and it sort of ruined the first half of the movie.
Old 01-11-13, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rarely, but then again I rarely go to the theater anymore so it's probably about half the time. I usually try to save money and health by eating beforehand but I'm suddenly hungry for popcorn when I punch my ticket.
Old 01-11-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

If I eat outside before going in...then, no, I don't. But that's very rare. Usually I buy a sandwich outside, or a yogurt and banana, or a bagel and juice, and smuggle them in.

When I saw DJANGO on Christmas Day at a multiplex in a shopping strip, I wanted a cup of coffee beforehand (early show) and there was absolutely nothing open but the movie theater. The theater concession stand had no coffee, so I had to settle for a power drink and a box of chocolate candy, just to tide me over for the next three-and-a-half hours (the 165-minute film + 40 min. of trailers and commercials), but that was one of the very times I've used the theater concession stand in the last few decades.
Old 01-11-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I eat at a theater in order to get fat.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.