Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

WHich one

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-00, 04:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide on which receiver im getting. So far im looking at the Sony STR-DE945 . or i could go with the 845 or the 545. I don't see much of a difference between the 3 except for the remote. Im new at this so if im missing something important in the 3 im looking at please point them out. I found the 945 for 400 buck. Doesn't seem that bad of a price but i am new at this so there could be a better one for the money out there somewhere else. Any help i would appreciate it.
Old 10-29-00, 07:21 PM
Cool New Member

thanks for the help
Old 10-29-00, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by oneshot:
thanks for the help<HR>

I thought someone would know the receivers in question....I do not which is why I did not even attempt to tell you!!! Weekends are pretty slow so hopefully by tomorrow morning you will have an answer!!!

Take a look at www.audioreview.com for individual owners of these receivers and how they rate them!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-29-00, 07:48 PM

Get the Sony DB840 or DB940 before you get the DE series. The DB series has upgraded components inside and are generally better quality. Sony doesn't allow them to be sold at Circuit City, you'll find them at stores like Tweeter's/Bryn Mawr for example.

Try www.onecall.com or www.oade.com they're both authorized Sony dealers and are very reputable (One Call's got a ton of my money). Call them on the phone, the prices listed at One Call for example are NOT firm. You can bargain with them. Tell them you're shopping on the net and want their lowest price. You should be able to get the 840 for $400 or less and maybe even the 940 for not much more.

[This message has been edited by steve f (edited October 29, 2000).]
Old 10-29-00, 09:11 PM

get the db 940 at soundcity.com for us400 + shipping only.. give them a call
Old 10-30-00, 12:27 AM

As the others have noted, I would recommend that you skip the DE series and go with either the DB series (830 and 930 are last year's models, 840 and 940 are this year's) or the ES series. The DB and in particular ES series offer much better sound and build quality. My Sony 777ES is built like a tank, weighing in at 54 pounds. In your price range of US$400, you should be able to get the DB840 if you shop around. For etailers, SoundCity, Onecall, and Oade are very popular for Sony receivers. Of these three etailers, I think that Oade is the best pick if you can get the best price there. With Onecall, I am not really fond of their return policy. Probably have to call the etailers for the best price.

Good luck.

Dave