Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me remember a movie title...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Earlier this year, I read two reviews (one by Stephen King in EW) about a movie, but now the title escapes me. It's apparently a very quiet, slow-moving movie about a woman who suspects she's being stalked. At some point her dog disappears. And then something horrible happens the night she plans to move away.

Anyone have any idea what it's called? Thanks!
Old 12-13-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Help me remember a movie title...

"Entrance"

Stephen King: My Horror Obsession 'Entrance'
The author was so spooked by the recent indie ''Entrance'' that he decided to write about it for us
Aug 24, 2012

This is a very interesting low-budget—almost no-budget—film. Suzy (Suziey Block) is a pretty young barista living a barely middle-class life in Los Angeles. She has a roommate and a lovely dog named Darryl. For the first 60 minutes of this scant 84-minute movie, we see her going through her routine, almost the same every day. It becomes clear that she is disconnected from any real, vital life but perhaps too emotionally numb to be lonely...although she senses something is wrong. She brings a fella home from a bar and stares blankly up at the ceiling as he makes love to her. No distaste, no disgust, also no excitement or pleasure.

Little by little, we realize that something is VERY wrong with Suzy's life. Her dog goes missing, and this becomes the emotional center of the movie. I was deeply moved by her halting efforts to get him back and by her breakthrough sadness. There's no movie music, the actors are not professional, and for long stretches, nothing seems to be happening. But my anxiety built up almost to Blair Witch Project levels. You know something awful is going to happen, and there comes a point when you wish it would, so you could relax. Finally it does. I was really astounded by how much the filmmakers (Dallas Hallam and Patrick Horvath) did with so little, especially when Horvath's only other picture was a slasher job called Die-ner (Get It?). Entrance is available on iTunes, and will be out on DVD Sept. 11.
Old 12-13-12, 07:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like this is on Netflix streaming, may be worth checking out.
Old 12-13-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

The IMDb reviews are largely inauspicious, but I'll give it a quick look. (Who the hell needs Netflix?)
Old 12-14-12, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you, Mr. Salty!
Old 12-14-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I thought it was just "ok". Not sure what got King all worked up.