Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies You Were Once "All About" But Are Now "Over"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-12-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Basically, movies you thought were really cool back in the day but have come to not really like as much now that time has passed.

Biggest in terms of quality decline:

Independence Day- summer after first year of college and still had my whole life in front of me. Perfect carefree adventure at the time, but not even a year later I tried watching it again on video and it just did not hold up. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum keep this from being a travesty.
Old 12-12-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies You Were Once "All About" But Are Now "Over"

Batman (Tim Burton)
Old 12-12-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Dark Knight
Old 12-12-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice with Independence Day. Very dated now.

The Matrix for me. I don't normally feel like sequels ruin the first one but they really do in this case. The original built this mystique around what the world outside of the Matrix was really like, made you wonder exactly who or what was controlling it, and what kind of place Zion was. We end with an old man that talks in doublespeak and a city filled with dancing black people.
Old 12-12-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, the Matrix movies get better to me with time.

FWIW, I'll say all three of the Star Wars prequels, especially TPM. It took me seeing it off the big screen to realize that it was pretty lame.
Old 12-12-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

John Woo's THE KILLER.
Old 12-12-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Batman (Tim Burton)
That's the first one that came to mind. Compared to Nolan's Batman Begins, it's as goofy as the 1966 version.

I don't know if these count since I was just a kid, but I used to LOVE the Japanese monster movies, Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan, etc.
Completely unwatchable now.
Old 12-12-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jurassic Park
Star Wars OT
Old 12-12-12, 10:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Basically, movies you thought were really cool back in the day but have come to not really like as much now that time has passed.

Biggest in terms of quality decline:

Independence Day- summer after first year of college and still had my whole life in front of me. Perfect carefree adventure at the time, but not even a year later I tried watching it again on video and it just did not hold up. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum keep this from being a travesty.
interestingly ID4 was the first movie that came to mind. Rewatching it awhile back, you really begin to notice some really hammy eye-rolling acting. And the whole ra-ra 'let's go America' sentimentality is barf inducing.
Old 12-12-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Good choice with Independence Day. Very dated now.
Originally Posted by Giles
interestingly ID4 was the first movie that came to mind. Rewatching it awhile back, you really begin to notice some really hammy eye-rolling acting. And the whole ra-ra 'let's go America' sentimentality is barf inducing.
I'm Canadian, and I've loved ID4 just as much now as I did when I first saw it that summer of 1996. The "hammy eye-rolling acting" wasn't something you noticed upon your first watch? Really?

Of course it's so blatantly patriotic. That's the whole point. Why else would it be called "Independence Day" and take place over the July 4th weekend? That's why criticisms of it never hold up with me, because they take the most obvious aspects of the film such as those and try to use them as flaws when those were clearly intentional all along.

It's like not being let in on the joke or something.

I'm (probably the only one) looking forward to seeing it return to theaters next year for a 3D conversion.

For me the answer to this thread is obvious: Star Wars, in all its forms.

I'm so completely over Star Wars. I just don't care anymore.
Old 12-12-12, 11:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I'm Canadian, and I've loved ID4 just as much now as I did when I first saw it that summer of 1996. The "hammy eye-rolling acting" wasn't something you noticed upon your first watch? Really?

Of course it's so blatantly patriotic. That's the whole point. Why else would it be called "Independence Day" and take place over the July 4th weekend? That's why criticisms of it never hold up with me, because they take the most obvious aspects of the film such as those and try to use them as flaws when those were clearly intentional all along.

It's like not being let in on the joke or something.
everything being blown up was cool, everything else was just lame. I think as an older adult, I've become more attuned to the fact that some of the movies that I liked in the past (when I was younger) are really (nowadays) aren't all that and just cliched and silly.

Last edited by Giles; 12-13-12 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

I used to be into Rocky Horror Picture Show to the extent I would receite nearly the whole movie line for line as I watched it on VHS. Every Halloween I would go see it at the theater to shout at the screen and throw cards and all that stuff.

Last time I saw it was Halloween '99, and have no desire to see it ever again. Feels like something better left in my childhood.

I've also had bad luck revisting the David Lynch movies I used to think were so amazing. Most of the stuff I used to think was artistic and atmospheric and brilliant now seems hokey, lame, and flat out amateurish.
Old 12-12-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

everything being blown up was cool, everything else was just lame.

Kind of how I feel about Star Wars now!
Old 12-13-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

everything being blown up was cool, everything else was just lame. I think as an older adult, I've become more attuned to the fact that some of the movies that I liked in the past (when I was younger) are really (nowadays) aren't all that and just cliched and silly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h4em8_iu-Tw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-13-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Revenge of the Sith was one of the best theater experiences of my life. I camped out for it for nearly a day to catch the midnight screening with other die hards. It was a wild, loud screening. I even claimed it was better than Return of the Jedi when I first saw it. I still cherish the memory of that night, but after viewing the film at home a few times, it simply doesn't hold up to the OT. I still like it and its definitly the only good film out of the 3 prequels, but I can only enjoy parts of it and cringe at other parts.
Old 12-13-12, 01:59 AM
Banned

Almost there with Lord of The Rings. Jackson milking The Hobbit makes me want to vomit in my mouth.
Old 12-13-12, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Star Wars. after all the meddling from Lucas I could give a fuck anymore. Hoping the new films rock with out him.
Old 12-13-12, 02:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Independence Day is still awesome.

Lucas has definitely tainted Star Wars in my eyes. Plus I've seen all of those movies so many times I could never see them again and still know most of them by heart.

Despite Jackson milking The Hobbit, I just rewatched the LOTR films (extended cuts of Fellowship and Two Towers, theatrical of ROTK), and I think they all hold up. The issues I had when they were first released are the same issues I have now. I'm still incredibly impressed at the scope of those films and how well Jackson put them together. If I were a betting man at the time those films were announced, I would have put money on them falling flat on their face. But Jackson made them work.
Old 12-13-12, 04:35 AM

Independence Day - I considered it one of the greatest alien invasion movies ever, grew up and realized how stupid it is.

Godzilla 98

Jurassic Park 2

And definitely Lord of the Rings

I don't hate the latter, I just don't care anymore. They were once the center of my movie watching and now it's just whatever goes. I honestly am very much in the middle on The Hobbit.
Old 12-13-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I theorize about is that as people get older and their attitudes change, so do their opinions and feelings towards certain movies.

I was speaking to a friend of mine last night about the Indiana Jones movies. He saw Raiders when he was 13, and ToD when he was 16. Needless to say, he was enthused by them. When Last Crusade came out he was 21, had been in the Navy three years, and had a wife and kid. He didn't have the same feelings towards it as the others. He also admitted that while he overall thought Crystal Skull was okay, there was no way and Indy movie could hold the magic it once did.
Old 12-13-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

I don't know if these count since I was just a kid, but I used to LOVE the Japanese monster movies, Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan, etc.
Completely unwatchable now.
I used to sorta watch the Godzilla films as a kid, either on tv or sometimes even the Saturday matinee at the theater.

In the past few years I started rewatching them and really getting into collecting the DVDs *plus* I've started watching them with m five year old son and we have a blast with them.
If you haven't tried them in the original language, that can really make a difference.
Old 12-13-12, 09:33 AM

Sister Act 2 and Hackers. I was convinced these movies were the epitome of excellent when I was a kid.
Old 12-13-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

You guys really didn't see the cheesy cornball of ID4 when it first came out? You must have been kids and retained nostalgic fondness for it. I was 25 and while I enjoyed it for the most part, it was still cringeworthy in too many ways.

Then again, when I was 14 my favorite movie of the year (1985) was Chuck Norris's INVASION USA. Ye gods...!
Old 12-13-12, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You guys really didn't see the cheesy cornball of ID4 when it first came out? You must have been kids and retained nostalgic fondness for it. I was 25 and while I enjoyed it for the most part, it was still cringeworthy in too many ways.

Then again, when I was 14 my favorite movie of the year (1985) was Chuck Norris's INVASION USA. Ye gods...!
I was 13 at the time. I thought it looked like the most amazing movie ever made.
Old 12-13-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

I saw INVASION USA on 42nd Street, where the audience cheered for the terrorists! I can't imagine an audience feeling free enough (or depraved enough) to react like that today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.